A few questions about a mechanic position with UPS

gregmechanic

Hello, I live on the east cost and have applied for a mechanic position with UPS. It has been titled as "automotive mechanic" and I have a few questions I hope you guys can help me with.
This position states one to have fleet, diesel experience and Strong troubleshooting skills and transmission and clutch experience required. I'm a little confused as I thought a PC mechanic would only be working on package cars and a diesel mechanic would be working on tractors?
Also how much troubleshooting skills would be needed when working on problems with the transmission? I think most of their delivery cars are standard and if they are broke you just replace it, not rebuild them. And when the clutch is done, you adjust/replace as needed.
Thank you for your time.

Johney

We have one tractor mechanic who also works on tractors from a couple of centers outside our building and several package car mechanics who do just package cars. Although our pc mechanics have helped me and other feeder guys with issue's on tractors as they work at night with us and the other mechanic works during the day.

Troubleshooting? I think that all depends on how good the driver is at explaining the problem on the DVIR.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Our mechanic works on it all.

All new package cars are auto transmission.

It's a challenging job but a good job.

UPSGUY72

The package cars can also be diesel and are both standard and automatic. UPS is going the way of all automatic. The real short of the story is as a UPS mechanic you will be working on what ever vehicle is in need of repair tractor and package cars. These days a lot of major repairs get sub contract out as it's cheaper and faster for UPS. Get ready to be tightening mirror brackets, programming FOB changing or lock cores, replacing fuses, ETC. You will be doing everything and a lot of those things will be happen as the drivers leave the building in the morning.

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
Hello, I live on the east cost and have applied for a mechanic position with UPS. It has been titled as "automotive mechanic" and I have a few questions I hope you guys can help me with.
This position states one to have fleet, diesel experience and Strong troubleshooting skills and transmission and clutch experience required. I'm a little confused as I thought a PC mechanic would only be working on package cars and a diesel mechanic would be working on tractors?
Also how much troubleshooting skills would be needed when working on problems with the transmission? I think most of their delivery cars are standard and if they are broke you just replace it, not rebuild them. And when the clutch is done, you adjust/replace as needed.
Thank you for your time.
At my building every one can work on everything. They just rotate the guys every now and then. Some on package, some on tractors, and usually only one or two on trailers, then they will swap every so often. I have heard the test they have to take is ridiculous tough.

DOK

A lot of old school wrenching as well, ie laying on a creeper, working outside in the yard, etc. Our mechanics area is ridiculously small, and no lift, he's always working laying on the ground.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
our guys start off on trailers and then work their way up to power equipment.

some of them had very little experience and just winged it and asked for help. our mechanics are always helping each other out.

plus you will learn the UPS way anyway. they will want you to leave your way of doing things at the door.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Even as a PC Mechanic, you will be expected to drop everything for Feeder problems. There is even a policy agreement you sign attesting you will respond with your supervisor/dispatch within 15 minutes about any issues that are taking that long or more.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
our guys start off on trailers and then work their way up to power equipment.

some of them had very little experience and just winged it and asked for help. our mechanics are always helping each other out.

plus you will learn the UPS way anyway. they will want you to leave your way of doing things at the door.

Who trains them? The mechanic supervisors at my building have no mechanical experience whatsoever

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Experience is what they are looking for. The only training performed is on the UPS ways of going about the system and sometimes new gear (done by the supplier).