A Good Peak Season Memory?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I remember one night back in the 70's when I was delivering around 9 at night and it was before DR.
I walked up the steps to the front door and rang the doorbell.
A lady hollered thought the closed door, "Who is it?" and I replied UPS.
She said, "What is UPS doing out this late?" to which I replied, "Candygram m'aam".
To which she replied without missing a beat, "I don't believe you, you're that Landshark!"
Luckily, a SNL fan.

Clocked out around 10:30 that night ... it was a fruit day - Harry & David I think.

tardus

Not a warm fuzzy Christmas memory, but one that I still fondly remember: They had put me back into the unload at Christmas peak, and I was unloading with a young, new-hire girl. I was wondering if she was going to make it or not since it was very hard work. The supervisor comes into the truck and tells the girl that the sorter just said that she wasn't giving him enough work. The girl immediately responds, "We'll you just go tell that sorter that he is an ***hole." I still laugh at that memory because I knew immediately that this was one girl who was going to make it at UPS! (Within a month she was a sorter herself, and I'm sure that she knew better than to complain that an unloader wasn't giving her enough work!)

Last edited:

DS

Fenderbender
I had one old guy today that said hang on a sec...gave me a $5 bill and said
here,get yourself a jam sandwich.

guinness413

I've got one from tonight, had a bunch of toy packages with pictures on them for a house I normally deliver to in the afternoon. When I got there today the kids were out playing in the front yard, so I drove by and waited to del them on the way in rather than ruin their Xmas. When I went back tonite it was after 8pm, so I put the pkgs at the rear door then walked up to the front door and rang the bell. The kids answered the door so I asked if I could talk to their mom, when she came out I told her she had packages on her back porch and the reason why I put them there. She couldn't thank me enough for doing that, best of all I got some cookies for the ride back to the center.

i just checked your telematix..can you please explain your 6 minute gap between deliveries,and why you broke trace?

leastbest

LeastBest
My very last peak after being on the same route for 32 years I delivered to a mansion on the south shore of Lake Erie. The wind was blowing and a cold rain had soaked me. It was a little after 7pm. The guy came to the door and I gave him the package. He said Merry Christmas and gave me an Arch Card from McDonalds. I'd been delivering to him for over thirty years and this was the first time he ever gave me anything. I said thanks and went back to work. An hour later I stopped at Mickey Dees and ordered a coffee. The clerk said, that will be 43 cents. I told her that Arch Cards were worth $5. She said this one had been mostly used up.

The next day I delivered to the factory he owned and mentioned it to one of his managers. He said he always does that. He buys them by the handful, uses them, and then gives them away. He got a kick out of it.

One of the many reasons I loved peak.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Funny how some post on a thread that asks for a GOOD peak season memory.

It gives insight to their personality.

Last edited:
I remember one night back in the 70's when I was delivering around 9 at night and it was before DR.
I walked up the steps to the front door and rang the doorbell.
A lady hollered thought the closed door, "Who is it?" and I replied UPS.
She said, "What is UPS doing out this late?" to which I replied, "Candygram m'aam".
To which she replied without missing a beat, "I don't believe you, you're that Landshark!"
Luckily, a SNL fan.

Clocked out around 10:30 that night ... it was a fruit day - Harry & David I think.
For those of you without a clue...you would have had to have seen "jaws" and watched SNL every week. I hadn't thought about that in years. The skit they did was hilarious. I believe Chevy Chase was the landshark.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Several peaks back I was delivering late into the evening.
The weather was terrible and I was feeling quite sorry for myself.
As I approached an apartment delivery, I noticed the package was from a military base.
As the lady who answered the door was signing, I inquired as to whether the package was from a soldier.
She explained that it was indeed, that it was her husbands last civilian articles as he was recently deployed to Iraq.
Upon hearing this I asked her to tell her husband "thank you for his service" from the UPS man.
She took a step back to the laptop on the coffee table and turned it towards me and said, "tell him yourself".
He was on Skype at that very moment.
That really put things into perspective for me and I often reflect on it when I think I'm having a bad day at work, peak or not.

What a wonderful good peak season memory!!!!!!!!! One that you will always remember. Thanks for sharing your memory.

Absolutely.

The revelation I experienced that night now plays out almost daily as I in veritably drive by someone in a worse situation than myself.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
The revelation I experienced that night now plays out almost daily as I in veritably drive by someone in a worse situation than myself.

One does not have to look long or hard to find someone in worse shape or having more problems or in need of help.
That reminds me that I need to write a check for someone I know needing help.