A Good Peak Season Memory?

Almost forgot this story. About a decade or so ago. Had a center manager, dumb as rocks. Came down,in his browns.
said,what can I do to help?? Another driver(not me) said,take this this dump stop out in the van.

he said,by myself? driver said yes!

He said I cant do that,by myself!

Driver said...WTF, good are you?

Almost pissed my pants!

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Last Christmas Eve I was in a pretty foul mood. It was the culmination of the worst peak of my 27 year career, and at 9:00 that night I still had stops left with no hope of getting done. I had a huge, bulky pile of Amazon boxes for a home (more of an estate, really) on a 500 acre winery with a mile-long driveway up on top of a hill. So I grind my way up this hill in the fog and pouring rain, pull into the driveway, and through the picture window see the wealthy, elderly owners of the estate seated around a lavish dinner table with their adult children and probably 5 or 6 young grandchildren. It looked like a Norman Rockwell painting...until they looked out the window and saw my truck and the dining room erupted with children jumping up and down and screaming, and parents practically knocking chairs down to get to the door. As it turned out, health issues had caused the wealthy grandparents to wait until the last minute to do their Christmas shopping, so they had ordered their grandchildren a bunch of nice, expensive toys (like those miniature electric Jeeps, electric scooters, PlayStations etc) through Amazon and had given up all hope of those gifts being delivered on time due to our peak planning being a total cluster. They had already had to explain to the grandchildren that their "big" gifts wouldn't be there, so when I came rolling up there at 9:00 I was pretty much the hero who saved Christmas for the whole family. They even begged me to come in and have Christmas dinner with them, which I obviously didn't have time for, so the grandparents who owned the winery instead sent me home with a couple of $75 bottles of their award-winning Pinot Gris which really made my wife happy. Getting to be the hero made an otherwise miserable day a whole lot better.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I always get uncomfortable when a helper gifts me. I appreciate it but most can't afford it.

This is the first time it has happened to me and he really could use the $20 himself rather than give it to me. I had already planned on giving him $50---I may have to sweeten the pot a little bit.

I plan on re-gifting the DD card to my mail man.