A.M. Time Allowance

H

hseofpayne

No...you absolutely don't understand this. The Preload gets hit with ALL of our AM time unless it's put under safety meeting etc.....it doesn't matter how you code it.

Pretrip, PCM and sort load are all the same when it comes to charging the preload.

Allright you Dang Yankee, the South is 'bout to rise again! When I code my time out as S&L, the next morning on the O.R., my AM time is broken down. I know the preload gets charged for all inside bldg time, but I don't get charged like I was standing around arguing with some Yankee!

New Englander

Allright you Dang Yankee, the South is 'bout to rise again! When I code my time out as S&L, the next morning on the O.R., my AM time is broken down. I know the preload gets charged for all inside bldg time, but I don't get charged like I was standing around arguing with some Yankee!

Lol then state you are only coding it out so it shows what you are doing. The way your posting it looks like you are only coding it out to hit the preload with that time.

In the big scheme of things it doesn't matter as it's all hitting the preload. Thats why there isn't a PCM code or a pretrip code etc......it doesn't matter.

H

hseofpayne

Lol then state you are only coding it out so it shows what you are doing. The way your posting it looks like you are only coding it out to hit the preload with that time.

In the big scheme of things it doesn't matter as it's all hitting the preload. Thats why there isn't a PCM code or a pretrip code etc......it doesn't matter.

I like the preload, some of my best friends are preloaders, I have no prejudices towards preloaders! But, when it come down to it, I like me even more! This has been my point all along. You don't go to work w/o your pants on , do you? Well neither do I, I always cover my arse!

That's correct Dill(as I understand), any time put under the meal/break part of the DIAD is deducted from your PI/PO. As I said here we do not get paid breaks so any personal time is supposed to come out of the meal time.

Storm723

Preload Supervisor
All the preload sup cares about his looking awesome (Or not looking like a bafoon) in the next conference call. If that means drivers have to wrap their own trucks to make their preload numbers look better then so be it!

I am a little confused by your statement in the fact that it makes no sense.

The sup is certainly not going to look good in this "so called" conference call if the drivers have to finish loading their PC's.

Especially, since the drivers time is accounted for in the A.M. Time. The driver A.M. time sticks with the Preload until the driver "has left the building". If the driver has to finish loading his/her PC that time is added into the preload.

The ideal situation occurs when the loader has loaded the PC on time (five prior to driver) and the driver has done his/her pre-trip and "leaves the building".

Storm723

Preload Supervisor
Pay them 8.5 or pay me 28, their choice.

Here's is the scoop on this....and I used to say the same thing....and what you are saying makes sense...however:

By the time the driver comes up on the line... he/she is usually punched in. They still have the whole day to go. It makes sense to get one of you off the line. So while your being paid...the loader gets sent home.. the driver finishes.

I have loaders with three and four car sets. As I see the drivers come up...I tell the loader, move to the next car...let the driver load his own. Once all three or four drivers are there one of two things occur 1) loader moves to another PC to finish loading, 2) loader goes home.

No sense in the driver standing around at $28hr watching the loader load his car.

I tell the driver..."no offense, but your here.... you finish"

Mike Hawk

Here's is the scoop on this....and I used to say the same thing....and what you are saying makes sense...however:

By the time the driver comes up on the line... he/she is usually punched in. They still have the whole day to go. It makes sense to get one of you off the line. So while your being paid...the loader gets sent home.. the driver finishes.

I have loaders with three and four car sets. As I see the drivers come up...I tell the loader, move to the next car...let the driver load his own. Once all three or four drivers are there one of two things occur 1) loader moves to another PC to finish loading, 2) loader goes home.

No sense in the driver standing around at $28hr watching the loader load his car.

I tell the driver..."no offense, but your here.... you finish"
With two people it goes twice as fast, and when one gets paid 1/3 of what the other gets, 2 loading will be cheaper than one.

browniehound

All the preload sup cares about his looking awesome (Or not looking like a bafoon) in the next conference call. If that means drivers have to wrap their own trucks to make their preload numbers look better then so be it!

Then this will be the undoing of the company. From these posts it appears the every section of the business is out to make "their" numbers. Has it worked in the past? Yes it has, we are very profitable.

The problem is in recent years we have been losing volume and have been told to get more sales leads and we are under pressure to be more efficient.

Many drivers are getting a 3-day ride from their supervisor. Here is somebody who couldn't do your job on an everyday basis telling you how to do your job for 3 days. Something tells me there is a fundamental flaw with this scenario.

My solution! Instead of emphasizing each segment to make their numbers, how about each segment sitting down and talking about how to make all the segments work together at their peak efficiency?

Wasn't this the point of the employee stock purchase plan? It was for us employees to care about the company and do our best to make it run efficiently. If everyone is out to make their own numbers then we are doomed as a company!

Storm723

Preload Supervisor
With two people it goes twice as fast, and when one gets paid 1/3 of what the other gets, 2 loading will be cheaper than one.

Sounds good right?

However, UPS doesn't operate like that. They actually operate in clicks or 10ths of a second. Not seconds or minutes or even dollars $$...interesting eh.

Heres an example. Although I am not sure this would explain it...but anyway....here goes...

Scenerio #1)
If I have six loaders on my belt and they all stay an extra 10 minutes, I lose a full 60 minutes (1 hour) of time.

Scenerio #2)
If I hold 6 loaders and then 3 drivers come up and they work for 10 minutes I lose an 90 minutes. and lets say there are 3 drivers working for three loaders on my belt.

Scenerio #3)
I hold 3 loaders and 3 drivers come up on the belt for 10 minutes I lose 60 minutes

So as you can see the more people I hav on the belt...the more time I lose. Therefore, as drivers come up... I eliminate loaders. Yes, the drivers time still counts on my a.m. time but I am not charging double hours/minutes for the same job.

If that makes sense?

Storm723

Preload Supervisor
Then this will be the undoing of the company. From these posts it appears the every section of the business is out to make "their" numbers. Has it worked in the past? Yes it has, we are very profitable.

The problem is in recent years we have been losing volume and have been told to get more sales leads and we are under pressure to be more efficient.

Many drivers are getting a 3-day ride from their supervisor. Here is somebody who couldn't do your job on an everyday basis telling you how to do your job for 3 days. Something tells me there is a fundamental flaw with this scenario.

My solution! Instead of emphasizing each segment to make their numbers, how about each segment sitting down and talking about how to make all the segments work together at their peak efficiency?

Wasn't this the point of the employee stock purchase plan? It was for us employees to care about the company and do our best to make it run efficiently. If everyone is out to make their own numbers then we are doomed as a company!

I hear what your saying although don't neccesarily agree. Yes, the stock program was designed to provide all employees with a sense of ownership. (Speaking of...now is a great time to buy -while it's low)

However, how many PT hourlys do you know that actually take advantage of that? for one.

For two, UPS has been operating like this since the beginning...and it works, hence being one of the most savy and efficient companies in the world. I know of very few other companies that monitor every aspect of the business quite like UPS.

Maybe I am wrong...

Mike Hawk

Sounds good right?

However, UPS doesn't operate like that. They actually operate in clicks or 10ths of a second. Not seconds or minutes or even dollars $$...interesting eh.

Heres an example. Although I am not sure this would explain it...but anyway....here goes...

Scenerio #1)
If I have six loaders on my belt and they all stay an extra 10 minutes, I lose a full 60 minutes (1 hour) of time.

Scenerio #2)
If I hold 6 loaders and then 3 drivers come up and they work for 10 minutes I lose an 90 minutes. and lets say there are 3 drivers working for three loaders on my belt.

Scenerio #3)
I hold 3 loaders and 3 drivers come up on the belt for 10 minutes I lose 60 minutes

So as you can see the more people I hav on the belt...the more time I lose. Therefore, as drivers come up... I eliminate loaders. Yes, the drivers time still counts on my a.m. time but I am not charging double hours/minutes for the same job.

If that makes sense?
Makes sense if all you worry about is your own numbers, however it is still more expensive to have drivers load over preloaders. Having drivers load cuts into UPS's precious profits, surprised they haven’t tried to stop you from wasting money.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Just remember the cardinal rule of UPS. Its not what you accomplish that matters...it's how good you look on paper pretending to accomplish it.

Storm723

Preload Supervisor
Makes sense if all you worry about is your own numbers, however it is still more expensive to have drivers load over preloaders. Having drivers load cuts into UPS's precious profits, surprised they haven’t tried to stop you from wasting money.

I do what they have trained me to do... I asked the same questions and these were all the answers I recieved. I hear what your saying and your absolutely right. I do worry about my numbers...but our Sup team operates as a whole and we worry about the building numbers at any given moment.