A UPS Peak Season Story

wkmac

Under the heading of "We Make Money In Spite of Ourselves" I'll relay a humorous story BUT I'll with hold the names and locations to protect the guilty.

This story involved 3 locations we'll call UPS A, UPS B and UPS C. UPS A and UPS C are 40 miles from each other across a large metro area and UPS B is about 250 miles from both A & C.

Subcontractor at UPS A is told to take an empty trailer to UPS B (again 250 miles away) which said contractor does. Upon arrival at UPS B with empty trailer, UPS B no longer needs said trailer but is told that said empty trailer is needed at UPS C and instructed to now take it to UPS C which subcontractor does. Now upon arrival at UPS C, our subcontractor with said empty trailer that origin from UPS A is told that UPS C no longer needs said empty trailer but that UPS A does need said empty trailer and to take it there which subcontractor did.

That's right boys and girls, the same empty trailer pulled by our heroic subcontractor originating at UPS A going to UPS B and then sent forward to UPS C is now going back to UPS A having never once had the first package placed in it.

Now here is the kicker, the same subcontractor on his very next run did the very same thing with another empty trailer all over again.

Now do I know this to be absolutely true? No I absolutely do not! BUT it was relayed to me by a UPS management person who was told this by the actual subcontractor themselves. This by no means makes any of this "TRUE AT ALL" BUT after 36 peak seasons at UPS and having seen a lot, I find this story completely believable and I spent the last week or so LMAO about it!

I've seen to many of these type stories over the years firsthand to not give this some credibility.

Again Boys and Girls, we still make money in spite of ourselves!

Enjoy the laugh because if you can't laugh you are not doing it right! ;)

On a sleeper run one year, management cancelled the longest leg of the run but kept the shortest part of it. It was 380 miles going from Los Angeles to Oakland on Christmas eve. We took a set of empties up and the Oakland dispatch told us nothing is going back to L A. so take back your empties. 760 miles for two drivers moving empties and their refusal to cancel the entire run. We just work as directed and enjoy the paycheck

Liquid Red

I have only been with UPS a little over 3 months and I totally believe it happened.
It's laughable, but at the same time it's infuriating.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I have heard many a tale of hiding loaded PCs in the yard .
So it would be no different than hiding feeders on the road .

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
I don't believe this one bit...For this story to be true the contractor would have had to A) speak English well enough to tell the story B) been able to navigate three UPS yards in one day. Where I am A) is definitely out of the question and B) is very iffy!! :) Most of these drivers pull onto the yard and stop in the worst possible spot before they get out to ask a question.

Anyway, I've heard some of these contractors are being paid by the day so maybe UPS doesn't want to give them a free days worth of pay with no expenses. On shorter runs like this rumor is around $6 per mile in my area.

tacken

In spite of ourselves? Know we make money in spite of them. We work as directed drive around in a circle and get paid that's there call not mine. MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL

W

What The Hawk?

This hurts my damn brain. It's worded like a math problem.

"Between UPS A and UPS B at which speed is the empty trailer going?"

watdaflock?

Subcontractor at UPS A is told to take an empty trailer to UPS B (again 250 miles away) which said contractor does. Upon arrival at UPS B with empty trailer, UPS B no longer needs said trailer but is told that said empty trailer is needed at UPS C and instructed to now take it to UPS C which subcontractor does. Now upon arrival at UPS C, our subcontractor with said empty trailer that origin from UPS A is told that UPS C no longer needs said empty trailer but that UPS A does need said empty trailer and to take it there which subcontractor did.

Who told the subcontractor?

AZ Retired

allegedly went "Brett Favre" with his cell.
Under the heading of "We Make Money In Spite of Ourselves" I'll relay a humorous story BUT I'll with hold the names and locations to protect the guilty.

This story involved 3 locations we'll call UPS A, UPS B and UPS C. UPS A and UPS C are 40 miles from each other across a large metro area and UPS B is about 250 miles from both A & C.

That's right boys and girls, the same empty trailer pulled by our heroic subcontractor originating at UPS A going to UPS B and then sent forward to UPS C is now going back to UPS A having never once had the first package placed in it.

Now here is the kicker, the same subcontractor on his very next run did the very same thing with another empty trailer all over again.

Now do I know this to be absolutely true? No I absolutely do not! BUT it was relayed to me by a UPS management person who was told this by the actual subcontractor themselves. This by no means makes any of this "TRUE AT ALL" BUT after 36 peak seasons at UPS and having seen a lot, I find this story completely believable and I spent the last week or so LMAO about it!

I've seen to many of these type stories over the years firsthand to not give this some credibility.

Enjoy the laugh because if you can't laugh you are not doing it right! ;)
I find the story very believable! I first heard the expression "we make money in spite of ourselves" back in 1977 from my first hub manager.

no more than 9

"Livin' the Dream"

Enjoy the laugh because if you can't laugh you are not doing it right! ;)[/Q
Having put in 32 years I find that story quite believable.