Abney wants mailbox access.

DOK

UPS: We can give consumers 'much better service' with mailbox access

UPS could improve its delivery services if the United States Postal Service began selling rights to access mailboxes as recommended by the Trump administration, Chairman and CEO David Abney told CNBC on Wednesday.

"We look at that as a very positive step, and we think it helps the consumer, because no one wants to get a delivery notice at their door saying they didn't get a package," he said on "Squawk Alley." "If [we] get mailbox access, [we] can just provide much better service."

Earlier this month, the Treasury Departmentproposed that the federal postal service license mailbox access to private entities. The proposal was part of a task force, formed after an executive order by President Donald Trump, that looked into the operations and finances of the cash-strapped agency.

Congress enacted a mailbox restriction for USPS in the 1930s, a mailbox monopoly the task force said is "highly valuable" and could create an additional revenue stream.

"We have a great relationship with our customers," Abney said. "We go to most everyone's houses, but getting access to the mailbox would be an even closer connection."

Not sure how delivery to a mailbox gives UPS a closer connection to the customer than their porch.

I do this now

Who leaves a note at the door saying you didn’t get a package? But that package could’ve been left in a mailbox? What?

What is stopping ups from putting up boxes?

JL 0513

It should be the responsibility of the property owner who is isn't accessible for a UPS driver to arrange a way for packages to be delivered or hold everything to the center for pickup.

Who orders a package UPS or FedEx knowing a truck can't get to the house?

Box Ox

What is stopping ups from putting up boxes?

Secure parcel boxes are pretty expensive and labor intensive to install. The math doesn't work when all UPS is looking for is another reason to increase stop counts.

It should be the responsibility of the property owner who is isn't accessible for a UPS driver to arrange a way for packages to be delivered or hold everything to the center for pickup.

Who orders a package UPS or FedEx knowing a truck can't get to the house?

I don't think property accessibility is what the mailbox access idea is about.

rod

Retired 22 years
Walk them puppies. That's why we make the big bucks

Gates are made to keep something in or something out. I never messed with gates but leaving a package by a gate at the end of a road was a no no. Leave it at a neighbor or NI 1 with a delivery notice telling them to call UPS for further instructions on where to leave it.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
I LOVE when people let their flea bag out.

Less walking I have to do on any future deliveries.
Was bit by a dog reaching over a gate/fence this past summer. center manager was pissed and said I should EC any future deliveries when a dog is present. I run a rural route and most everyone has a dog. Maybe one day this week I will EC the whole damn truck.