About time!!

Kis124

My pre-load experienced record volume this year and we were very on the ball. We actually were told that we were appreciated, and did an excellent job! I have NEVER heard that in my 4 years there.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Our Preload did a great job, it was wrapped up on time except for Friday with a small amount of air coming in late. The last couple of weeks I did not have a single off area missort, a PT sup loaded my package car because of call ins. I thanked him Thursday morning and he was shocked because he got a compliment.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Our Preload did a great job, it was wrapped up on time except for Friday with a small amount of air coming in late. The last couple of weeks I did not have a single off area missort, a PT sup loaded my package car because of call ins. I thanked him Thursday morning and he was shocked because he got a compliment.

Scratch, it sounds as though you have a solid DOL.

Don't say that around here. You'll get a lot of "they should have filed a grievance" nonsense.

Nonsense?

old levi's

blank space

It's a sad commentary that we work in an environment where a simple thank you would shock someone. Sad, but true.

AssistantSanta

I'm confused. If they don't touch anything they get called clueless flabby office sleaze in cubicles.

If they do something that's conducive to the overall goal, that is to make sure packages get delivered as promised but if that involves touching actual packages then the hourlies cry foul. What is a company supposed to do when someone they're counting on calls-in the last minute? Have a fill-in always sitting standby doing nothing at any given day "just in case" ?

I get the jist that there seems to be a culture of management crew and union crew likes to build fences around each team and push discipline/fire or grieve/file button each time one another gets under their skin.

Last edited:
S

splozi

^ Thank you!

Give them an inch they take a mile sad but the truth.

What do you think is going to happen? UPS will never have enough sups to handle the entire workload if there happens to be a strike. That is the only concern I can think of, and there is no basis for it as far as I can see.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I'm confused. If they don't touch anything they get called clueless flabby office sleaze in cubicles.

If they do something that's conducive to the overall goal, that is to make sure packages get delivered as promised but if that involves touching actual packages then the hourlies cry foul. What is a company supposed to do when someone they're counting on calls-in the last minute? Have a fill-in always sitting standby doing nothing at any given day "just in case" ?

I get the jist that there seems to be a culture of management crew and union crew likes to build fences around each team and push discipline/fire or grieve/file button each time one another gets under their skin.

Been a helper since November you obviously know how it all works. This is really pretty simple we have a contract both parties have agreed to. If management breaks said contract u file. If hourlies break it they are disciplined. Stick around long enough and I'm sure u will get it most of them do. If either side doesn't like the contract we renegotiate about every 5 years.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
What do you think is going to happen? UPS will never have enough sups to handle the entire workload if there happens to be a strike. That is the only concern I can think of, and there is no basis for it as far as I can see.[/QUOTE]

Tell that to the person who is on the street trying to get on part time or the part timer wanting to go full time who can't because of sups working.

over9five

Staff member
It seems to me that if they have enough time to load trucks, why do we need them as supervisors? Obviously they don't have enough to do as supervisors.

Integrity

Binge Poster

AssistantSanta,

It is critcal that men keep their word.

In our culture it has become common place for a man's word to mean nothing.

It is critical for large corporations who are making more than enough money to honor their written words, their labor agreements.

It is the leadership, the management that are responsible for leading the way, setting the example for those that follow.

The culture in a company is a relfection of the attitude of the leadership, the management, of a company.

As for your concerns for call ins, your company has been in business way to long to not have an effective means of handling this situation while still honoring their labor agreements.

I caution you to not over sympathize with the rich, greedy attitudes that permeate large corporate america.

Large corporations like to use their success, their bigness, as the excuse for not being able to always seek do the right thing.

Most often the real reason is they want to show more millions on the next quarterly statement at any cost and not show less millions on the next quarterly statement because they chose to do things the way they claim and many times have contractually agreed too.

Sincerely,
I

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Here is the Cliff Notes version of Integrity's post:

Your center should have a sign-up sheet for those eligible employees who volunteer to be called in to cover staffing shortages.

Using supervisors to cover staffing shortages is a temporary solution which does not address the underlying issue.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Here is the Cliff Notes version of Integrity's post:

Your center should have a sign-up sheet for those eligible employees who volunteer to be called in to cover staffing shortages.

Using supervisors to cover staffing shortages is a temporary solution which does not address the underlying issue.
UpstateNYUPSer,

In your opinion, what is the underlying issue that you mention here?

I am interested in knowing your thoughts on this.

I think more of your thoughts on this will really add to this discussion thread.

I hope you had a blessed Christmas.

How was the movie?

Sincerely,
I

menotyou

bella amicizia
AssistantSanta,

It is critcal that men keep their word.

In our culture it has become common place for a man's word to mean nothing.

It is critical for large corporations who are making more than enough money to honor their written words, their labor agreements.

It is the leadership, the management that are responsible for leading the way, setting the example for those that follow.

The culture in a company is a relfection of the attitude of the leadership, the management, of a company.

As for your concerns for call ins, your company has been in business way to long to not have an effective means of handling this situation while still honoring their labor agreements.

I caution you to not over sympathize with the rich, greedy attitudes that permeate large corporate america.

Large corporations like to use their success, their bigness, as the excuse for not being able to always seek do the right thing.

Most often the real reason is they want to show more millions on the next quarterly statement at any cost and not show less millions on the next quarterly statement because they chose to do things the way they claim and many times have contractually agreed too.

Sincerely,
I
Integrity,

I was actually floored when I read this.

Truer words.................

Sincerely,

M

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The movie (Girl With The Dragon Tattoo) was excellent, albeit about 30 minutes too long (158 minutes).

The underlying issue is the lack of discipline on those who repeatedly call in, the substandard wage the PTers receive, the lack of an "on call" list and the lack of monitoring by the union.

I think we can all agree that the operation must continue but we disagree on how staffing shortages are addressed.

Integrity

Binge Poster
The movie (Girl With The Dragon Tattoo) was excellent, albeit about 30 minutes too long (158 minutes).

The underlying issue is the lack of discipline on those who repeatedly call in, the substandard wage the PTers receive, the lack of an "on call" list and the lack of monitoring by the union.

I think we can all agree that the operation must continue but we disagree on how staffing shortages are addressed.
UpstateNYUPSer,

Thank You!

I thought you were going to Mission Impossible? Must have been someone else.

You said it was excellent, would you recommend the GWTDT in the theatre or should I wait for release on DVD? Thanks!

Sincerely,
I