Above and Beyond

Osprey413

Bull**** Coordinator
First, it's YOU'RE a GRIEVANCE waiting to happen.

Second, it doesn't make sense since I'd have to be management to be grieved against. You could say I'm 'a firing waiting to happen' though.

Please try to make your limited english more sensible in the future. :peaceful:

I think he was referring to me, Mike23.

Dustyroads

Mike23, it's cool that you have a guy working next to you that is the hero type. I'm lucky, I have guys working on two sides of me that are first class drivers and great guys, personally. We help each other all of the time, primarily on areas where our routes border. I try to always help those guys when they ask, without complaint or reservation, because each has done the same for me, many times.

M

Mike23

Mike23, it's cool that you have a guy working next to you that is the hero type. I'm lucky, I have guys working on two sides of me that are first class drivers and great guys, personally. We help each other all of the time, primarily on areas where our routes border. I try to always help those guys when they ask, without complaint or reservation, because each has done the same for me, many times.

That's awesome! If all neighboring drivers helped out their neighbors I'd think a lot of drivers would be off an hour earlier then what they are now. It's a shame but if you don't help out others then don't expect the same treatment, I suppose.

rod

Retired 22 years
I went above and beyond once when I came upon a pickup laying on its side in a snow filled ditch one winter. The wheels were still spinning and some big lady was screaming bloody murder because she was laying on top of her boyfriend and he couldn't move and she couldn't get the door opened. We finally got him out but couldn' t get her. He had a long chain so at his insistence we hooked on the front bumper of my UPS truck and over the side of his pickup. I backed up slowly and pull the truck over on its wheels (with her in it). I still remember her bouncing all over the place as her boyfriend yelled at her to shut up. I pulled him back onto the road. He got his truck fired up again and told me if I followed him back to the bar he would buy me a couple of beers. I declined. Yes I know I could have gotten into all kinds of trouble but you have to realize this was back in the days before cell phones (a little after we quit using covered wagons), it was on a very seldom used road and it was colder than you know what.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Ok, I can do this.....
My son lived in Wichita Falls TX, and my grandsons birthday I was suppose to be there. My husband ended up in hospital, and so I could not go. So I sent him his present, a great big green machine, with water feature. When I tracked it, it was misloaded on a truck 100 miles away.
so I got hold of the center, blubbering and cryin over a life event, to some man I didnt know, in TX who drove his personal vehicle that 100 miles, and back, and delivered it to my grandson, that eve. That was really above and beyond. I never got to personally thank him, and tieguy, is the man who put me in touch. So two managers who went above and beyond.
I did try to email the mgr, but I never got a response, but maybe he is reading this now, and knows how great it was. Thanks mgr at UPS in Wichita Falls.

code5

Code 5..should have turned in a sales lead. Let BD know what happened. Since you use the term "depot" you must be overseas. Over here we don't let FDX ground "eat our lunch".

I'm from Canada, the province of Saskatchewan. That happened 5 or so years ago and everyone is right, today I'd be fired. Back then it was just different. Heck, we didn't even have a supervisor based in our center! The drivers ran the show and we were the pride of Canada. No kidding, we ran great numbers.

Now it pretty much sucks. BTW, I said Depot trying to use correct terminology. We call our Depots simply the center up here.

NHDRVR

Ok, I can do this.....
My son lived in Wichita Falls TX, and my grandsons birthday I was suppose to be there. My husband ended up in hospital, and so I could not go. So I sent him his present, a great big green machine, with water feature. When I tracked it, it was misloaded on a truck 100 miles away.
so I got hold of the center, blubbering and cryin over a life event, to some man I didnt know, in TX who drove his personal vehicle that 100 miles, and back, and delivered it to my grandson, that eve. That was really above and beyond. I never got to personally thank him, and tieguy, is the man who put me in touch. So two managers who went above and beyond.
I did try to email the mgr, but I never got a response, but maybe he is reading this now, and knows how great it was. Thanks mgr at UPS in Wichita Falls.

It is great that 2 people were able to get together and make that happen for you. UPS, like every other company, has people in their employ that want to do the right thing regardless of their position.

M

Mike23

I went above and beyond once when I came upon a pickup laying on its side in a snow filled ditch one winter. The wheels were still spinning and some big lady was screaming bloody murder because she was laying on top of her boyfriend and he couldn't move and she couldn't get the door opened. We finally got him out but couldn' t get her. He had a long chain so at his insistence we hooked on the front bumper of my UPS truck and over the side of his pickup. I backed up slowly and pull the truck over on its wheels (with her in it). I still remember her bouncing all over the place as her boyfriend yelled at her to shut up. I pulled him back onto the road. He got his truck fired up again and told me if I followed him back to the bar he would buy me a couple of beers. I declined. Yes I know I could have gotten into all kinds of trouble but you have to realize this was back in the days before cell phones (a little after we quit using covered wagons), it was on a very seldom used road and it was colder than you know what.

Drivers use the contract terminology of 'act of god'. Managers use the terminology 'stealing time'. I like to think the drivers are correct because it's just heartless to leave people like that.

Last winter there was a poor old guy (in his 70's) on oxygen who couldn't get his truck moving because of the ice under it. On company time (oh no!) I pushed the poor old guy out. On my way back to the truck some guy yelled at me, 'I get it!' I said, 'get what?' He goes, 'What brown can do for me today!'