Abramoff Scandal

Tyrone Slothrop

Keith,

Not fishing, don't care to. Just trying to clear up some misconceptions you may have gotten from shoddy reporting.

Take care, not much to see here. I may pop in from time to time, but frankly, the closed-minded bigots here disgust me (present company excluded).

Via con Dios,

Tyrone

wkmac

"Reid said at a news conference in Carson City that he has "not a thing" to be worried about as far as Abramoff. "I've never been in the same room with the man as far as I know," he said."

http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_home/2006/Jan-04-Wed-2006/news/5194840.html

Never been in the same room with the man. Haven't we heard that before. Also notice the words "as far as I know." That's politician words for wiggle room if I do end up getting caught.

From the same article:

"Reid also has been linked to Abramoff through Edward Ayoob, who is from Las Vegas and worked for Reid from June 1997 to March 2002 variously as legislative counsel, tax counsel, appropriations manager, foreign affairs adviser and chief aide on judicial nominations, according to a biography on his employer's Web site.
Ayoob in 2002 was hired as a lobbyist by Greenberg Traurig LLP, where his work included teaming with Abramoff and other lobbyists on client matters.
Abramoff left Greenberg Traurig in March 2004 after the Senate and the FBI began investigating his activities.
Ayoob, 36, left Greenberg Traurig in spring 2005."

From a Dec. 29th Washington Post Piece:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/12/28/AR2005122801588.html

"Team Abramoff included former staffers to DeLay, as well as to Sen. Conrad Burns (R-Mont.), head of the Senate Appropriations panel's Interior subcommittee; Rep. Robert W. Ney (R-Ohio), chairman of the House Administration Committee; Rep. John T. Doolittle (R-Calif.), who has served on the key House committee that oversees tribes; and Sen. Harry M. Reid (D-Nev.), now minority leader."

Someone once said "Follow the money" and could this really be the real heart of the matter? From the same 12/29 Post Piece:

"Sen. Byron L. Dorgan (N.D.), the ranking Democrat on the Indian Affairs Committee, remembers first hearing "vague complaints" about Abramoff in June 2003 from three Democratic lobbyists. The tribes had traditionally supported Democrats, but Abramoff was capturing them for Republicans, getting them to boost their contributions and give two-thirds to his party."

Is someone now just a spoiled sport that they are getting beat at their own game? No doubt the republicans are very dirty and I would contend because of their position of power would be dirtier but I'm not convinced they aren't joined by a minor partner in crime. To many underlings from the other camp for there not to be a connection.

I'm also hoping the Las Vegas Review Journal and the Washington Post aren't considered Neo-Con publications in your world.:wink: