accepted unloading practices??????

LagunaBrown

I don't miss those rollers that pinch the crap out of your fingers or the 60 pound spools that come rolling down at your face when your in a Drop frame.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Even the extendable rollers on the carts only go back to about 43' of the 52' trailers....I'll take an extendo, please.

We just got some that go 53' - but we're stuck with the 32' extendos because upgrading to 53' ones would require an extension of the building. I do agree loading is more difficult, arguably the hardest job at UPS for PTers Especially in the summer.

teamsterdan

So................WTF are you still doing here then?
im a 20 yr teamster who fought for my current job in 1997........... are some of you on this board just here to make yourselves feel special?????
i am here to hash out issues that may help my union brothers and sisters better handle situations in the workplace. Is there a problem with that???

Last edited:

teamsterdan

And to the OP....you can't write that cluster-friend*uck of text and then get pissed off when people criticize you about it. I think it's a safe bet you are your own worst enemy in more places than this forum.

Also, I'm a 20-something and I think I'm a friend*ucking athlete. WTF do you think about that? WTF are you going to respond.
IMHO
, WTF?

And regarding your question (i guess). If they want to waste their time double handling, then let them waste their time. As far as extendo's......they make things 10 times easier than any set of rollers, ever. Even the extendable rollers on the carts only go back to about 43' of the 52' trailers....I'll take an extendo, please.

Read more: http://www.browncafe.com/forum/f6/accepted-unloading-practices-348547/index2.html#ixzz2KW4CNEXb
not at all pissed off, I find it funny that most of you are not familiar with what is known as "stream of consciousness" i learned abt. it in freshman english class, perhaps you were sick that day. you can learn more abt. it here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stream_of_consciousness_(narrative_mode)

i also have a term for guys like you (washed up jock types) "all muscle;no hustle", mainly because you don't understand things like work ethic, or bother to do the simple things like using a load stand.

IMOHO=In My Own Humble Opinion.....just to clear that up for ya.......

What you also fail to realize is that while they are "wasting their time" the rest of us have to pick up their slack. It's really "OUR" time, and as i
mentioned, Back In The Day; supervisors would have a fit for any "double handling" of pkgs. including fall offs.....Now, both the sup's and these dorks think its a GOOD IDEA, using a cart........I on the other hand do not, and choose to use "the common sense method" and walk from the nose to the belt with usually 2 pkgs depending on size and weight.......IT's a workout, but part of the job, oh well, bottom line is it takes roughly 20 min no matter what........

Last edited:
im a 20 yr teamster who fought for my current job in 1997........... are some of you on this board are just here to make yourselves feel special?????
i am here to hash out issues that may help my union brothers and sisters better handle situations in the workplace. Is there a problem with that???

Just the attitude, tough guy.

Integrity

Binge Poster
im a 20 yr teamster who fought for my current job in 1997........... are some of you on this board just here to make yourselves feel special?????
teamsterdan,

There does seem to be a general problem with that for some.

Others really want to hash things out.

I appreciate you post.

Getting mad at online responses will only hurt you and no one else.

Sincerely,
I

Integrity

Binge Poster
so i work out of a medium sized newer facility that has 6 unload doors all outfitted with extendos that go into the trailers....BITD when i started (1993) we had to have the pups jacked up and use gravity, so never mind the fact that they only go 45 or so feet into a 53ft trailer and you (god forbid) have to WALK maybe 5-10ft and put boxes on the extendos.......we also have an air dock with a dock door next to it but does not have an extendo on it.....typically they will put a "retain" trailer on that door and the trailer is usually a flat 43ft. trailer loaded abt. waist high in the nose maybe 20% full on a heavy day.......yes there are actually portable rollers that have been used off and on over the past 5 yrs at least because of gap between where the pkgs are loaded and the belt begins........and yes anyone that has used the portable rollers knows they are a two person 5-10 min job to set them up and take them down, basically they are more of a hassle then they are worth IMOHO and they have tried to use sups to set them up and tried to use them and leave them in the trailers for someone else to worry abt. ......as a 22.3 feeder combo that guy was me and i verbally put the kibosh on both those ideas many times explaining they have to be set up and take out by union employees at the time of use as per ups's own practices........ reluctantly they have agreed.........believe me the gap is NOT a big deal to me personally as a gi who has moved rocks from here to there, literally....yes it sux, but is easier because your not being shot at........i'm 43 and its the younger 20 somethings that likes to talk smack abt. "what great athletes" they were, that bitch the most and decided it would be a good idea to put a bulk cart in the trailer load it ONCE at the nose of the trailer......push it to the end of the trailer and UNLOAD the same pkgs off the cart onto the belt......IS THIS NOT A CLASSIC CASE OF "DOUBLE HANDLING" and was verboten at one time???????....it was just this past fri that the new pre-load supervisor was astonished and perplexed that i was not gunna use "the cart" and walk them back and forth......other than filing a grievance against my co-workers for what can also be deemed as "unsafe"(won't do that) i plan to tell them, when pressed; that i don't believe using a cart is an acceptable un-loading practice as i have never seen a video demonstrating this NEW technique......i welcome your comments and questions, thanks...
teamsterdan,

I don't think using a cart inside a feeder is probably the best solution.

I think walking the packages off probably makes more sense.

Sincerely,
I

Integrity

Binge Poster
so i work out of a medium sized newer facility that has 6 unload doors all outfitted with extendos that go into the trailers....BITD when i started (1993) we had to have the pups jacked up and use gravity, so never mind the fact that they only go 45 or so feet into a 53ft trailer and you (god forbid) have to WALK maybe 5-10ft and put boxes on the extendos.......we also have an air dock with a dock door next to it but does not have an extendo on it.....typically they will put a "retain" trailer on that door and the trailer is usually a flat 43ft. trailer loaded abt. waist high in the nose maybe 20% full on a heavy day.......yes there are actually portable rollers that have been used off and on over the past 5 yrs at least because of gap between where the pkgs are loaded and the belt begins........and yes anyone that has used the portable rollers knows they are a two person 5-10 min job to set them up and take them down, basically they are more of a hassle then they are worth IMOHO and they have tried to use sups to set them up and tried to use them and leave them in the trailers for someone else to worry abt. ......as a 22.3 feeder combo that guy was me and i verbally put the kibosh on both those ideas many times explaining they have to be set up and take out by union employees at the time of use as per ups's own practices........ reluctantly they have agreed.........believe me the gap is NOT a big deal to me personally as a gi who has moved rocks from here to there, literally....yes it sux, but is easier because your not being shot at........i'm 43 and its the younger 20 somethings that likes to talk smack abt. "what great athletes" they were, that bitch the most and decided it would be a good idea to put a bulk cart in the trailer load it ONCE at the nose of the trailer......push it to the end of the trailer and UNLOAD the same pkgs off the cart onto the belt......IS THIS NOT A CLASSIC CASE OF "DOUBLE HANDLING" and was verboten at one time???????....it was just this past fri that the new pre-load supervisor was astonished and perplexed that i was not gunna use "the cart" and walk them back and forth......other than filing a grievance against my co-workers for what can also be deemed as "unsafe"(won't do that) i plan to tell them, when pressed; that i don't believe using a cart is an acceptable un-loading practice as i have never seen a video demonstrating this NEW technique......i welcome your comments and questions, thanks...
teamsterdan,

How do you feel about the following chronic long term violations of unload methods?:

Using the VHE in violation of UPS methods and manufacturer instructions.

Failure to use load/unload stand.

Digging out the middle and letting the walls collapse.

Failure to maintain egress around VHE.

Supervisors failing to pretrip/post trip and report damaged equipment daily.

Mishandling of 70+.

Just to name a few.

Sincerely,
I

tomuchdrama

Im lost here,at what point do you put the bulk cart into the trailer? You would have to stop the unloading,have shifter pull off trailer,bring out the bulk cart,get at least 4 or more people to man handle the cart[carts are not light] put into trailer,have shifter put trailer back on the wall for unloading,then start with the unloading again.Am i missing something?

teamsterdan

This particular dock door butts up to a conveyor belt of which the last section can be raised and lowered. Our bulk carts can be moved into a trailer with little problem. I do think i know the type of cart your speaking about, these are 2-3ft. high; 6ft long used for loading and moving bulk and have a foot break. I think that is what your missing.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have to agree with Integrity on this one----it doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense to use the cart to move pkgs 10-15'. You are handling the same packages twice---makes no sense.

Disclaimer---I have never unloaded a trailer so take the above FWIW.

LongTimeComing

Air Ops Pro
No, it doesn't make sense. Yes, these people are morons to think it's a good idea. By the time those jackoffs got the cart filled up, I would have had everything loaded on the extendo.

I still fail to understand what is grieve-worthy here. Yeah, it sucks when your coworkers aren't very good and you seemingly have to pick up the slack, but unless this 'new' method of theirs is breaking a contract rule, I'm not sure what makes this different than anything else that a *****ty coworker can do. Anything you would do would just throw your 'brethren' under the bus. Using the cart isn't unsafe....it's inefficient. Unless you are being written up for NOT using one, not much of a case there, as it will just be labeled an 'unload aid'.

Stupid is as stupid does. The best thing you can do is keep telling these people that it's a dumb idea and continue to show that you are correct through your actions.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
teamsterdan,

How do you feel about the following chronic long term violations of unload methods?:

Using the VHE in violation of UPS methods and manufacturer instructions.

Failure to use load/unload stand.

Digging out the middle and letting the walls collapse.

Failure to maintain egress around VHE.

Supervisors failing to pretrip/post trip and report damaged equipment daily.

Mishandling of 70+.

Just to name a few.

Sincerely,
I
I think it's wrong and would inform a supervisor about any safety issues immediately, moving up the ladder if they aren't corrected, what would you do? Oh wait I know by your observations of someone unloading without proper egress, it's nothing, so why be concerned what he does when worst case it's equal to what you did, nothing.
http://www.browncafe.com/forum/f6/s...-who-suggested-348405/index4.html#post1087429

Hey Teamsterdan, I've been working at UPS for 32 years and if I can share something with you, use the cart save your body from the repetative motion you will thank your mind for taking this advice and your body will know it. I also say this to all UPS'ers, "THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS PRODUCTION IN THE CONTRACT". No, I dont not want to bring UPS down. It is a good company, and that is because of people like you and I.
If you plan on working there till you retire, then, pace your self and read your contract. Don't sweat the people that work with you just do a good safe job and work with the idea that you will be there a while. Pace your self to preserve your body.

tre305

Two hours to unload a 53 footers? Is this with one or two people inside? In my Center we only get maybe 5-7 a day out of 16-20 trailers. But it generally takes a pair maybe an hour and a half to empty one out

curiousbrain

Two hours to unload a 53 footers? Is this with one or two people inside? In my Center we only get maybe 5-7 a day out of 16-20 trailers. But it generally takes a pair maybe an hour and a half to empty one out

Some of my employees unload a 48' in 65 minutes, sometimes 70; obviously, they are the standouts, but two hours in a long box is heresy here.