Act Section 806

tieguy

Banned
Its kind of funny considering that UPS does everything they can to pay us less money, make us work long hours overtime, and layoff as many workers as possible. But they actually care about the well being of FedEx employees. Sounds like UPS cares more for FedEx employees than its own employees.

ups cares about the fact that Fdx has a competitive advantage over us. That affects all of us.

The teamsters union cares about the fact that its very difficult to organize fdx employees unless the laws change.

Seems like this change is a win/win for all of us.

705red

Browncafe Steward
you guys realize this bill helps the union more then it helps ups?
Please! Here in Chicago we have been after FedEx for several years with no help from UPS!

UPS is only pushing this because it helps them, and no one else!

Our local finally received a call yesterday from UPS asking for the union's assistance and working together to push the employees/members to address this issue.

Our local declined! Our contract has been in effect for almost a year now. We have feeder lay offs and subcontractors still doing cross town moves. We have not seen one new job from the agreed upon contract and we have people laid off.

My manager tonight asked me if I would speak during the PCM on Monday, and I had to explain that I could not as a union steward. And if any one asks me my opinion i would recommend that they do not write these letters until UPS agrees to honor the contract.

Needless to say there will not be many letters going out of my center. As for the extra 15 minutes, many of us do not want the hours we are working now, screw another 15 minutes, pay some 9.5 grievances first.

pretzel_man

Please! Here in Chicago we have been after FedEx for several years with no help from UPS!

Our local finally received a call yesterday from UPS asking for the union's assistance and working together to push the employees/members to address this issue.

Our local declined! Our contract has been in effect for almost a year now. We have feeder lay offs and subcontractors still doing cross town moves. We have not seen one new job from the agreed upon contract and we have people laid off.

My manager tonight asked me if I would speak during the PCM on Monday, and I had to explain that I could not as a union steward. And if any one asks me my opinion i would recommend that they do not write these letters until UPS agrees to honor the contract.

Needless to say there will not be many letters going out of my center. As for the extra 15 minutes, many of us do not want the hours we are working now, screw another 15 minutes, pay some 9.5 grievances first.

I think this is called "biting your nose off to spite your face"...

Sometimes there are things that are good for both UPS and the union. This is one of them. Today, when UPS loses market share, those packages and jobs move to a non-union company.

Yes, as a UPS shareowner I'd like that revenue back. I think as a union member, you would also like those jobs back.

Imagine the leverage you would have if when UPS loses volume, the union does not lose an employee.

Its certainly your right to do what you think best regarding this issue. I happen to agree with Tie that in the long run, the union makes out better than UPS.

P-Man

705red

Browncafe Steward
I think this is called "biting your nose off to spite your face"...

Sometimes there are things that are good for both UPS and the union. This is one of them. Today, when UPS loses market share, those packages and jobs move to a non-union company.

Yes, as a UPS shareowner I'd like that revenue back. I think as a union member, you would also like those jobs back.

Imagine the leverage you would have if when UPS loses volume, the union does not lose an employee.

Its certainly your right to do what you think best regarding this issue. I happen to agree with Tie that in the long run, the union makes out better than UPS.

P-Man
How many management employees have been laid off? Its funny that we say we have no volume, yet we have employees working through vacations, drivers filing 9.5s and sups working. But lets hold hands and stand untied behind a good cause!

How about standing together holding hands agreeing to our contract for starters!

I too am a share holder, and the day it hits $60 im selling!

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Come on, 705red. I am hoping that Fedex joins the IBT and I would like Fedex Teamsters in Chicago be the first to go on strike. Win win situation for all of us.:devil3:

tieguy

Banned

Wow . What happened to the rah rah lets take their work and fight them rhetoric you were spewing.

you don't think a letter writing campaign helps the teamsters union?

You're complaining about layoffs in a time when companys are folding?

tieguy

Banned
How many management employees have been laid off? Its funny that we say we have no volume, yet we have employees working through vacations, drivers filing 9.5s and sups working. But lets hold hands and stand untied behind a good cause!

How about standing together holding hands agreeing to our contract for starters!

big change from your posting on brownbailout.com.

In fact it looks like a complete reversal. Someone reprogram you?

tieguy

Banned
Hell yeah we are mad! And if you are not made then you just do not get it! What ups and the Teamsters are trying to push for is simple. Under the RLA FedEx could be unionized, but it would require all the employees across the country voting in favor of it. So there is a chance that in right to work states as an example, that more employees would vote against it hurting the employees in other locations that do want to join.

If employees in Chicago want to join then those employees decide their own fate without saying North Carolina being able to stop them from joining a union, and that is what this bill is asking for. If a building does not want to join then they just vote no, but that building should not stop others across the country from joining.

We have UPsers that are not union while many of us are.

I have waged war on fed ex, today i gathered 6 accounts and info to hand over to my sales guy in the morning, small accounts but still that will be my work in the near future!

I also asked my management team if i could speak during tomorrows pcm for a couple minutes on this issue. Fedex has attacked us as service providers and our company and if Norman Black cannot come out with something to rebut this then we should!

Yes we complain about the long hours! We complain about the work load, our management team, crap even the top brass that has never even done our jobs! But we work here and we have earned that right! When Fred says that they are more reliable then we are? Is he smoking crack? Even with everything that we complain about we still go the extra mile and service OUR customers and if we all band together we will be servicing Freds customers pretty soon to!

Print copies of Fred press release and hand it out to your co workers!

Red what happened to the guy that made this post?

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
I am dumbfounded how any union person could not support this.

I very happily wrote my letters. UPS made it a very simple task and paid me to boot!

pretzel_man

As far as I know, no management have been laid off. How many union employees didn't get their raise this year? Both questions are irrelevant. We all made decisions long ago and should live with the consequences.

That includes UPS NOT working supervisors and abiding by the other agreements including 9.5's.

That being said, Its the company's job to keep costs as low as possible in these economic times. Sure, some dumb decisions have been made but its inevitable that lost volume is lost jobs.

So the question remains, is it better for the lost volume to go to a union carrier or to a non-union one?

P-Man

705red

Browncafe Steward
Red what happened to the guy that made this post?
Tie I am glad you asked this question. First let me say that i will still do my part to gain FedEx's business. This week alone I had 2 day were I picked up over 1400 pieces and 1 day were I picked up over 2300. I also turned in 3 new sales leads which will give me if sold 7 sold leads this year.

However you asked what has happened. Last week we were told that we are not allowed to have radios anymore in the package cars because of a fire that happened several months ago in Florida, I believe. Which I have already filed on because the contract and past practice has allowed us this right.

We have 7 termination hearings scheduled for Monday morning, from forgetting a gas cap, to taking a copy of the vacation schedule. All dead bang winners for the union.

I have had a driver sent for a fitness for duty because he was threatened by a sup and refused to drop the issue. After the driver passed he was then terminated.

We have sups walking around telling us that if we don't like it here turn in our IDs.

Had a dispatch sup threaten a bulk driver last week, and tell another union steward driver yesterday that he friend---ED him good on purpose by over dispatching him on a Friday.

But yet we as union stewards should stand shoulder to shoulder with management?????????????????????? BS

tieguy

Banned
Tie I am glad you asked this question. First let me say that i will still do my part to gain FedEx's business. This week alone I had 2 day were I picked up over 1400 pieces and 1 day were I picked up over 2300. I also turned in 3 new sales leads which will give me if sold 7 sold leads this year.

However you asked what has happened. Last week we were told that we are not allowed to have radios anymore in the package cars because of a fire that happened several months ago in Florida, I believe. Which I have already filed on because the contract and past practice has allowed us this right.

We have 7 termination hearings scheduled for Monday morning, from forgetting a gas cap, to taking a copy of the vacation schedule. All dead bang winners for the union.

I have had a driver sent for a fitness for duty because he was threatened by a sup and refused to drop the issue. After the driver passed he was then terminated.

We have sups walking around telling us that if we don't like it here turn in our IDs.

Had a dispatch sup threaten a bulk driver last week, and tell another union steward driver yesterday that he friend---ED him good on purpose by over dispatching him on a Friday.

But yet we as union stewards should stand shoulder to shoulder with management?????????????????????? BS

First of I think its great you're working all the sales leads. With that said I think you need to seperate business as usual from the opportunity this letter writing campaign.

You're spinning the letter writing campaign as standing side by side with management. You can spin it that way but realistically its an opportunity for your union to get a law changed that will help them grow their membership ranks. Thus I'm surprised that you are taking this position.

You and I know the management group in your building and your local will not suddenly change their ways simply because you and the union decide you won't play nice.

It seems like your stabbing yourself in the eye to spite your face.

705red

Browncafe Steward
I do separate business. As an employee I'm seeking out new business. As a steward i will take a different stance on this issue, because of the reasons that i have listed. I don't believe that UPS will give in on these issues that we have addressed because we are not standing together on this issue.

Who knows maybe FedEx employees are treated better because they are not union. Maybe before asking us (union employees) for a favor try being respectful towards us and OUR contract! Just an idea! But manage the operations the way you see fit, probably with the attitude that we are still lucky to have a job mentality.

But how can i tell drivers that do not get 8 hour requests honored, 9.5 grievances paid, or fired for BS, that we are working together with UPS on this very important issue?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I am in complete agreement with you and most UPS'ers, that FedEx delivery drivers and sorters etc should be piegeonholed under the NLRA and not the RLA

I see you are speaking in absolutes. Risky when dealing with this company!

My question is, for ex: what happened when UPS wasn't honoring the 22.3 jobs in 1999? What caused UPS to say "volume was down", yet, with record profits,and not fufill their end of the bargain?

Are you telling me the company has changed in the last 10 years? Just sayin'..

And my question still remains unanswered:

If UPS made record profits in 98-99 and still refused to abide by the contract by CREATING NEW 22.3 JOBS because "volume was down", then what makes us think that FedEx possibly going union is going to help UPS Teamsters in 2012 when its time to negotiate?

UPS is a pathologically sick company when it comes to greed. Like an addict, they constantly need more and more and will cast anyone and anything aside to get the absolute largest profits possible (like a high) and place blame onto anyone or anything but themselves to get it.

Someone, please explain to me how when a FedEx driver is making far less money as a Teamster, or as a different health/medical/dental plan that is less valuable, or a leaner pension, this will benefit UPS employees when both sides come to the table?

UPS suits wins, Teamster suits win, FedEx hourlies win, FedEx suits lose, UPS hourlies lose.

kingOFchester

Someone, please explain to me how when a FedEx driver is making far less money as a Teamster, or as a different health/medical/dental plan that is less valuable, or a leaner pension, this will benefit UPS employees when both sides come to the table?

UPS suits wins, Teamster suits win, FedEx hourlies win, FedEx suits lose, UPS hourlies lose.

The way I see it, UPS COULD gain more volume. Why, you may ask? Fedex has the ability, and does, tell their potential customers with their sales pitch ("we are not union and there is no fear of a work stoppagfe due to contracts"). I imagine this does help them gain and retain accounts.

2ndly, being that, at this time, UPS is larger we have lower costs then fedex UNTIL you throw in our pay(bennies included). If Fedex express went union and still had lower pay costs then UPS, it still could cost them the same as UPS or maybe even more for them to handle packages when you consider that they will have a higher pay cost's then they currently have. They COULD loose the ability to undercut UPS.

Between loosing the "sales pitch" and the added costs....UPS could increase volume. That certainly would NOT be an advantage to the old timers, but for those of us waitting to go driving it could speed up the process.

pretzel_man

I do separate business. As an employee I'm seeking out new business. As a steward i will take a different stance on this issue, because of the reasons that i have listed. I don't believe that UPS will give in on these issues that we have addressed because we are not standing together on this issue.

Who knows maybe FedEx employees are treated better because they are not union. Maybe before asking us (union employees) for a favor try being respectful towards us and OUR contract! Just an idea! But manage the operations the way you see fit, probably with the attitude that we are still lucky to have a job mentality.

But how can i tell drivers that do not get 8 hour requests honored, 9.5 grievances paid, or fired for BS, that we are working together with UPS on this very important issue?

I guess I don't understand...

I am in no way saying that UPS should not honor the contract, but...

I do not see at all how UPS is asking the union for a "favor".

A May 21st Teamster announcement says:

The Teamsters Union praised the U.S. House of Representatives today for passing the FAA Reauthorization Bill, 277-136. The bill includes a key provision closing a loophole allowing FedEx Corp. (NYSE: FDX) to misclassify thousands of workers.

“The House of Representatives has done the right thing in closing this unfair loophole that benefits only FedEx,” said Teamsters General President Jim Hoffa. “Because of this unfair advantage, FedEx Express workers have been deprived their right to form unions like workers at other package delivery companies.”

You seem to be thinking that anything that is good for UPS is bad for the Teamsters? I think that this time, the nose and face are on the same side.

P-Man

UnconTROLLed

perfection
The way I see it, UPS COULD gain more volume. Why, you may ask? Fedex has the ability, and does, tell their potential customers with their sales pitch ("we are not union and there is no fear of a work stoppagfe due to contracts"). I imagine this does help them gain and retain accounts.

2ndly, being that, at this time, UPS is larger we have lower costs then fedex UNTIL you throw in our pay(bennies included). If Fedex express went union and still had lower pay costs then UPS, it still could cost them the same as UPS or maybe even more for them to handle packages when you consider that they will have a higher pay cost's then they currently have. They COULD loose the ability to undercut UPS.

Between loosing the "sales pitch" and the added costs....UPS could increase volume. That certainly would NOT be an advantage to the old timers, but for those of us waitting to go driving it could speed up the process.

You completely missed my point and are not thinking like Norman Black, but as a regular Teamster with good intentions.

705red

Browncafe Steward
I guess I don't understand...

I am in no way saying that UPS should not honor the contract, but...

I do not see at all how UPS is asking the union for a "favor".

A May 21st Teamster announcement says:

The Teamsters Union praised the U.S. House of Representatives today for passing the FAA Reauthorization Bill, 277-136. The bill includes a key provision closing a loophole allowing FedEx Corp. (NYSE: FDX) to misclassify thousands of workers.

“The House of Representatives has done the right thing in closing this unfair loophole that benefits only FedEx,” said Teamsters General President Jim Hoffa. “Because of this unfair advantage, FedEx Express workers have been deprived their right to form unions like workers at other package delivery companies.”

You seem to be thinking that anything that is good for UPS is bad for the Teamsters? I think that this time, the nose and face are on the same side.

P-Man
Absolutely not. I believe its great for both. However I do have a problem as a union steward going against the grain on this one. As an employee I will continue to raid every FedEx account I see. Because at this time I am a upser at work and a steward for the union on all other matters.

I do not think its fair that we have not gained 1 new cross town feeder job 3 weeks shy of the contract being in place for a year already and yet we have feeder drivers laid off.

kingOFchester

You completely missed my point and are not thinking like Norman Black, but as a regular Teamster with good intentions.

I guess I did miss your point.

One other point that I wanted to make.

It pisses me off when I hear and see the "brownbailout". The acusation that UPS is getting a $$-bailout-$$......PISSES me OFF. I take it personaly and for that alone I am happy to send the letters to the senate. I actualy had a family friend say to me "oh, I hear UPS is in line for some cash from the government"

Cheers!