Action Was Reckless - Tulsi Gabbard

bacha29

did you want your son to stay there and die fighting for that piece of sand?
What son? Since my entire future was already in the hands of the US military and therefore having no control over anything I registered for the draft on my 18th birthday and entered a holding pattern until I heard from it.
Be that as it may you're overlooking one major difference between Vietnam and Syria. The US final withdrawal from Vietnam was due to the Paris Peace Accord. Trumps' withdrawal from Syria comes NO formal peace accord no exit strategy no resolution of any kind. All he's doing is running away and leaving it up to the partner nations who are still there to figure out what to do.

newfie

What son? Since my entire future was already in the hands of the US military and therefore having no control over anything I registered for the draft on my 18th birthday and entered a holding pattern until I heard from it.
Be that as it may you're overlooking one major difference between Vietnam and Syria. The US final withdrawal from Vietnam was due to the Paris Peace Accord. Trumps' withdrawal from Syria comes NO formal peace accord no exit strategy no resolution of any kind. All he's doing is running away and leaving it up to the partner nations who are still there to figure out what to do.

you're running around the barn to avoid answering the point. does your hatred for trump actually cause you to take the position that it is better to leave our troops at risk in Syria.

bacha29

you're running around the barn to avoid answering the point. does your hatred for trump actually cause you to take the position that it is better to leave our troops at risk in Syria.
Oh so you're saying that it's alright to pull our troops out of Syria but leave the French, British, Kurdish and Canadians there to get their guys shot. That's free world leadership Trump style.

Box Ox

Oh so you're saying that it's alright to pull our troops out of Syria but leave the French, British, Kurdish and Canadians there to get their guys shot. That's free world leadership Trump style.

Letting the Turks slaughter the Kurds would be a huge mistake. They're a very brave and forward-thinking people in a sea of militant Islam. And they've "fought (ISIS) over there so we don't have to fight them over here" just as much as our own guys have.

If we do fully pull out, I'd really hope that a UN buffer force could at least move in and be provided US air cover if needed. Although UN peace keeping troops have in the past proven to be pretty :censored2:ing worthless.

vantexan

The Kurds live there. How many other foreign troops are there?

newfie

you're pushing the same type of out come you were allegedly against in Vietnam. Politics are making your argument not your belief system.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
Letting the Turks slaughter the Kurds would be a huge mistake. They're a very brave and forward-thinking people in a sea of militant Islam. And they've "fought (ISIS) over there so we don't have to fight them over here" just as much as our own guys have.

If we do fully pull out, I'd really hope that a UN buffer force could at least move in and be provided US air cover if needed. Although UN peace keeping troops have in the past proven to be pretty :censored2:ing worthless.
The USA has already done this once when Slick Willy withdrew all the troops from buffer zones in Iraq and Saddam massacred many of the Kurds.

One of the few times I disagreed with Clinton's actions ... not including Monica.

US abandoned us, say Kurds

The Kurds: Betrayed Again by Washington

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
I did, and have looked around at other sources. Can't find anything stating that Clinton withdrew US troops from Iraq.
I thought I did in the links.
From memory, the US and UN were providing an air no fly zone to protect the Kurds (the USA mainly of course).
Clinton withdrew that military support for the Kurds and they got pummeled.
The Kurds felt that the Bush Sr. Administration promised one faction of the Kurds if they helped fight Saddam in the Persian War the USA would help the Kurds rebel and help form a Kurdistan homeland. Sort of like they feel now with Syria.
Bush Sr did not protect the Kurds either as I remember ... that soured me on Bush Sr.
Anyway, it was all over news (CNN) back then and one of my co-workers got sent to the Middle East for a year as well as my BIL who was in Logistics for the Air Force.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
Oh so you're saying that it's alright to pull our troops out of Syria but leave the French, British, Kurds there to get their guys shot. That's free world leadership Trump style.
Let them take care of the Eastern Hemisphere and we'll take of the Western Hemisphere.
Sounds about right!

bacha29

you're pushing the same type of out come you were allegedly against in Vietnam. Politics are making your argument not your belief system.
When we left Vietnam all forces from Western nations still in Vietnam were also gone Not the case with Syria. Unlike your hero General Bone Spurs I didn't have FIVE DEFERMENTS along with wealthy parents and a doctor who today openly admits that he fabricated Donnie's medical condition as a favor to Old Fred , all I could do was what the law required then wait to see what the people in whose hands my future rested were going to do. With the Paris Peace Accords at least the shooting was stopped when we left even if only for a little while. Not the case in Syria today as Trump runs leaving the coalition forces who remain to go on fighting.

newfie

When we left Vietnam all forces from Western nations still in Vietnam were also gone Not the case with Syria. Unlike your hero General Bone Spurs I didn't have FIVE DEFERMENTS along with wealthy parents and a doctor who today openly admits that he fabricated Donnie's medical condition as a favor to Old Fred , all I could do was what the law required then wait to see what the people in whose hands my future rested were going to do. With the Paris Peace Accords at least the shooting was stopped when we left even if only for a little while. Not the case in Syria today as Trump runs leaving the coalition forces who remain to go on fighting.

I see your believe strongly in staying in Syria. When will you be signing up to help fight the fight? Put your ass where your mouth is?

bacha29

I see your believe strongly in staying in Syria. When will you be signing up to help fight the fight? Put your ass where your mouth is?
Hahaha! Fighting in Syria? Don't you remember? That's what Trump left behind for the coalition forces to do? He's out of there! But, don't worry , they'll remember this the next time we need their help.

vantexan

The Western nations involved in Syria only participated in air strikes. The U.S. was the only one with troops on the ground. As always it's the U.S. putting its troops at risk. And 2000 troops aren't going to be decisive in the civil war. Nowhere near the troop strength in Iraq or Afghanistan. In the end we were just risking lives and spending money in Syria. But twisting the situation to attack Trump is always fine with you.