Action Was Reckless - Tulsi Gabbard

wkmac

"There's nothing non-libertarian about intervening on someone's behalf to defend them against a stronger force. There's nothing wrong with staying long enough to make sure people harmed from the initial attack are medically cared for. If the intention of the intervention is to defend those that need help, medically care for them, and withdraw, there is nothing that a libertarian should oppose to this scenario." - Being Libertarian

If the intervention is made possible by compulsory means, then there is reason for a libertarian to oppose.

Non sequitur

Tomahawks are being phased out for their inaccuracies. So sounds like we blew through some old inventory and slowed Assad's air weapons down. Either way this refugee crisis needs to be addressed. Syria's neighbor Jordan has taken in the most refugees and are going bankrupt because of it.

newfie

Tomahawks are being phased out for their inaccuracies. So sounds like we blew through some old inventory and slowed Assad's air weapons down. Either way this refugee crisis needs to be addressed. Syria's neighbor Jordan has taken in the most refugees and are going bankrupt because of it.

other arab countries have not taken any and need to do much more.

bbsam

Staff member
you libs are always trying to push us into another conflict
I've always maintained that Trump is no conservative and if all it takes to get him shooting is the killing of babies in a war zone, well chemical weapons is only one way to achieve that.

wkmac

I've always maintained that Trump is no conservative and if all it takes to get him shooting is the killing of babies in a war zone, well chemical weapons is only one way to achieve that.

As to the effects of killing babies in war zones, I'm curious at how consistent Trump will be in that regard.

My expectations are the same hypocrisy we've always seen from whomever sits in the Oval Office. Thus why their public pronouncements are an exercise in BS.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
That is the message I received from this.
Don't use WMD Chemical weapons.
Domestic issues are none of our business.
Choices have consequences ... just as with the voters who voted for Hillary versus Bernie in the primaries and voted for Trump in the real election.

Last edited:

newfie

yea I know can you believe someone getting upset about the gassing of babies. how silly.

newfie

As to the effects of killing babies in war zones, I'm curious at how consistent Trump will be in that regard.

My expectations are the same hypocrisy we've always seen from whomever sits in the Oval Office. Thus why their public pronouncements are an exercise in BS.

you're miss phrasing in a fashion that tends to attempt to diminish what actually happened.
In fact what happened was a weapon of mass destruction a chemical weapon was used to kill innocent civilians including innocent babies after an agreement had been made by the Obama administration in 2015 in which Syria agreed to dispose of said weapons and agreed to not use them. its not hypocrisy to enforce such agreements. Its not hypocritical to draw the line at chemical weapons of mass destruction.

Last edited:

wkmac

you're miss phrasing in a fashion that tends to attempt to diminish what actually happened.
In fact what happened was a weapon of mass destruction a chemical weapon was used to kill innocent civilians including innocent babies after an agreement had been made by the Obama administration in 2015 in which Syria agreed to dispose of said weapons and agreed to not use them. its not hypocrisy to enforce such agreements. Its not hypocritical to draw the line at chemical weapons of mass destruction.

That assumes the situation occurred as we've been told. Instead of miss phrasing as you put it, maybe I'm remaining skeptical that we have all the truth here and thus leaving other options open. Not to diminish the propaganda potential of the Syrian or Russian gov't here but the United States gov't has lied to me directly far, far, far more times than the Syrian or Russian gov't has so I have an established track record that tells me not to accept at face value what I am told. Gov't by its very nature engages in hypocrisy and just because your guy has the job now doesn't mean I have to think of gov't differently than I did before.

newfie

That assumes the situation occurred as we've been told. Instead of miss phrasing as you put it, maybe I'm remaining skeptical that we have all the truth here and thus leaving other options open. Not to diminish the propaganda potential of the Syrian or Russian gov't here but the United States gov't has lied to me directly far, far, far more times than the Syrian or Russian gov't has so I have an established track record that tells me not to accept at face value what I am told. Gov't by its very nature engages in hypocrisy and just because your guy has the job now doesn't mean I have to think of gov't differently than I did before.

skepticism and indifference to humanity are required for your to take your position.

wkmac

skepticism and indifference to humanity are required for your to take your position.

Another reason to have skepticism, even moreso of our own gov't is a result of what has occurred in the past. This piece circa 2013' shows what dirty hands our gov't can actually have that is finally admitted years later.

newfie

Another reason to have skepticism, even moreso of our own gov't is a result of what has occurred in the past. This piece circa 2013' shows what dirty hands our gov't can actually have that is finally admitted years later.

you're moon walking around the part about indifference to the fate of humanity.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I know you work with refugee victims but the US does not have the responsibility nor should the US Central government volunteer to be the savior of world.
What you do is laudable but I don't see it as any of the business of the US Central Government until they hit US Soil.

newfie

I know you work with refugee victims but the US does not have the responsibility nor should the US Central government volunteer to be the savior of world.
What you do is laudable but I don't see it as any of the business of the US Central Government until they hit US Soil.

I've heard the responsibility argument from my libertarian friends. You have to be willing to look the other way at all forms of inhumanity no matter how brutal to essentially make that argument. You have to decide that its ok to watch innocents gassed to decide you can not afford to fire a few missles at some :censored2: despot when he takes such action. And then you have to realize that when entire civilizations are gassed and or destroyed by Sarin gas or other forms of weapons of mass destruction then you have already voided your right to protest because you decided it was not your responsibility to protest these events. I've already decided I wont look the other way.

I think we all have to figure out where that red line of acceptance is for each of us.

Last edited:

wkmac

Not much left to add.

wkmac

Sounds like you're letting your emotions talk. As Monkey said, what you do is laudable but there are many places one can be laudable but no one can be laudable in all places.