Actual retirement date ???

Vette51

I applied to retire and was given my reward letter. I asked the pension office about my last day worked i put on my online retirement, they said they don't have it listed, they just approve the payment start date. They said to let my supervisor know when I retire. So.... Is your retirement date fluid ? Kinda like the last day I wanna work is my retirement date or does hr actually have it listed from my online retire form ?

oldngray

nowhere special
You do your paperwork through HR. You don't even have to tell your local management. HR is supposed to pass the word to them. The date is fluid in that you can change the date after you start the paperwork rolling. Moving it to a later date is easy. An earlier date could be a problem though.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I got my retirement paperwork and dates squared away with the pension office first, once that was all set in stone I went to my boss and told him when my last workday would be.

Vette51

My check starts Nov 1st, but any day in October I decide I wanna retire, I just let my mngt know I'm done and I'm retire apparently. Obviously it would be in my best interest to work until the end of October, but just in case.....

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
My check starts Nov 1st, but any day in October I decide I wanna retire, I just let my mngt know I'm done and I'm retire apparently. Obviously it would be in my best interest to work until the end of October, but just in case.....
That's pretty much how it works here, pension start on the 1st day of the month following the month you retire, what actual day you choose doesn't matter as long you've got your hours in.

Shiftless

The real question is???

Are you ready to retire? I bet you are!

Are you EXCITED! More than excited I bet!

I congratulate you on your time served! Wasn't easy, probably met some nice interesting people along the way.

NOW, Get friend - ing BUSY! Enjoy your retirement! There is a whole new world for you to explore in retirement day's!

Vette51

The real question is???

Are you ready to retire? I bet you are!

Are you EXCITED! More than excited I bet!

I congratulate you on your time served! Wasn't easy, probably met some nice interesting people along the way.

NOW, Get friend - ing BUSY! Enjoy your retirement! There is a whole new world for you to explore in retirement day's!

Thanks, and ready ?? YES !!!
We are all broke down at this point and need a break.

badpal

I applied to retire and was given my reward letter. I asked the pension office about my last day worked i put on my online retirement, they said they don't have it listed, they just approve the payment start date. They said to let my supervisor know when I retire. So.... Is your retirement date fluid ? Kinda like the last day I wanna work is my retirement date or does hr actually have it listed from my online retire form ?
So guess a guy could retire and start drawing the pension, but not tell them at the center you did and keep working, Interesting.

Been In Brown Too Long

Ex-Package Donkey
If you tried to keep working you wouldn't get paid for it.
Actually here in the West, you'll get paid for the work time, not the pension. In order to remain qualified for the pension, you can work, but not in the same line of work or for the same union, otherwise you disqualify yourself from the pension. We have to fill out paperwork annually stating where we work and number of hours worked. If they deem it's too close to your original work duties, I.E. working for FedEx etc, they will stop your pension payments, and you'll owe them back payments if you've been doing it for a while. Not an issue for me...who retires to go back to work!!!?!!!

oldngray

nowhere special
Actually here in the West, you'll get paid for the work time, not the pension. In order to remain qualified for the pension, you can work, but not in the same line of work or for the same union, otherwise you disqualify yourself from the pension. We have to fill out paperwork annually stating where we work and number of hours worked. If they deem it's too close to your original work duties, I.E. working for FedEx etc, they will stop your pension payments, and you'll owe them back payments if you've been doing it for a while. Not an issue for me...who retires to go back to work!!!?!!!
Different situation. You can work but not in the trucking industry. I was referring to you continuing to go into UPS and work while you were officially retired and getting a pension.

Been In Brown Too Long

Ex-Package Donkey
Different situation. You can work but not in the trucking industry. I was referring to you continuing to go into UPS and work while you were officially retired and getting a pension.
My answer still applies. UPS will pay you for the hours worked. The pension will be suspended for the period worked. Perhaps being that the Teamsters pays our pension here in the West and not UPS, the situations are different?

bumped

We had a guy that did a satellite route went through the union on his retirement date. One day he was so pissed off that he put all his uniforms and DIAD in the TP 60. Right before he punched out he sent a message through the DIAD saying today was his last day and he quits.

Shiftless

We had a guy that did a satellite route went through the union on his retirement date. One day he was so pissed off that he put all his uniforms and DIAD in the TP 60. Right before he punched out he sent a message through the DIAD saying today was his last day and he quits.

If he would have done that in my region he would have given up his retirement health insurance.