Admin jobs going to India

Pardun

That's 190 more people that will no longer be able to affford to use a company as costly as UPS. Do these companies realize when you lay someone off you could also be losing a customer. Our corporations wont be happy until everyone makes minimum wage.

I'm one of the 190 people affected. Not only will I not be using UPS but neither will my family and friends. And I'm hoping that as they share this with their friends and family, the number of people will escalate. If they think India is so great...let those people support UPS. Good luck with that! I do apologize to all you current UPSer's out there. But I was just a few years away from retirement and I'm angry!!

Returntosender

In the short term it sucks , I agree !
But you need to think long term.

These 3rd world countries will have more money, they will buy more goods and services across the world.
But not only that, they will also eat, wine and dine more.
I think agricuture, in the future, will be huge in North America, as more people in the world need more food.
They have and will need more cars, more electricity, more energy.
Those are things we can provide to them, and ofcourse technoligy, planes, trains, etc.

Face it, the only way the US can expand and get rid of a trade deficit, is when other countries actually have (job) growth, and therefore money to buy goods.
America needs buyers for their goods, don't you think ?

Mr. out of the box thinking. What would happened if the India-Pakistan wars started again? Do you think all the jobs outsourced to India will comeback to the U.S.? Or would the U.S. come to the AID of India or Pakistan?

JustTired

free at last.......
While I think outsourcing any job sucks, it seems to be the typical shortsighted outlook by many corporations.

If they decide to outsource more management positions and corporate jobs as some have stated above.......my only hope is that they have the decency to move the headquarters there as well. There's nothing worse than having a company move its' operations overseas and yet keep their headquarters in the town whose workforce they just decimated. JMO

kmjs14

While I think outsourcing any job sucks, it seems to be the typical shortsighted outlook by many corporations.

If they decide to outsource more management positions and corporate jobs as some have stated above.......my only hope is that they have the decency to move the headquarters there as well. There's nothing worse than having a company move its' operations overseas and yet keep their headquarters in the town whose workforce they just decimated. JMO

Couldn't agree more!

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I wish there were a way to require companies that sell products or services to disclose where their tech support is located...in the same way that the label on an item is required to disclose whether it is made in the USA or China.

One of the first things I do when considering a purchase is to look at the label and unless there is no other alternative, if I see "made in China" on that label it goes back on the shelf. That is getting harder and harder to do though, since there are now many consumer goods that are no longer even made here at all.

I wear Danner boots to work, I own and buy Craftsman tools, and if I knew ahead of time that I would wind up calling India instead of the USA for tech or billing support for an item or service I was buying I would make that decision accordingly.

klein

Für Meno :)
The computer you are typing on, has tech service overseas.
I don't even think they manufacture pc's in all of North America, or TV's, probably not even a fridge or a toaster, not a calculater or very rare a pair of jeans .
The gas you put in your tank.

Can't live without imports. I suppose you don't have chinese mandarines at xmas time, either ?

worldwide

100% going to India. I work in one of these two buildings.

They are going to Pune, India. This is not being hidden internally. It was announced in the letter they read aloud to both groups. The management leaves as early as this weekend and the transition begins at the end of March. Hiring began in December. I 100% believe this is the first of a major transition to move all shared service (Billing first, then Collections, Payroll, Customer Service) aspects to Pune.

People are being offered jobs if they are available (which means moving out state in most cases), or will be given a severance package.

upandcomer,

Apologies if I was wrong on this-was going by the article in the paper--I should know better.

I hate to see anyone lose their job. I can also understand the UPS to redeuce cost while maintaining service. Will it be the same exact service as the US provided? Only time will tell--the real test will be the customers (assuming they have to have direct contact with US customers). Not sure if this move would have operators in India speaking with US customers or if this is more background accounting and billing backend system support. Regardless, I hate to see it happen but can see why it is happening.

upandcomer

upandcomer,

Apologies if I was wrong on this-was going by the article in the paper--I should know better.

I hate to see anyone lose their job. I can also understand the UPS to redeuce cost while maintaining service. Will it be the same exact service as the US provided? Only time will tell--the real test will be the customers (assuming they have to have direct contact with US customers). Not sure if this move would have operators in India speaking with US customers or if this is more background accounting and billing backend system support. Regardless, I hate to see it happen but can see why it is happening.

There is lots of interactions with customers directly. Not just your run of the mill small customers, but our biggest customers (Amazon for example) will now have to work with someone in India, on the phone. Yup you already know how that is going to go.

klein

Für Meno :)
I think Amazon is in India, too, already !
They won't need to call long distance, maybe just an elevator trip to talk in person ? LOL

kmjs14

I'm one of the 190 people affected. Not only will I not be using UPS but neither will my family and friends. And I'm hoping that as they share this with their friends and family, the number of people will escalate. If they think India is so great...let those people support UPS. Good luck with that! I do apologize to all you current UPSer's out there. But I was just a few years away from retirement and I'm angry!!

I have heard of companies restructuring before and a few have reabsorbed these employees into other roles within the organization. I can't see how a company with approximately 400k employees cannot do the same. There is no loyalty anymore from corporations. Back in the day people stayed with their company for life (and I'm not talking about civil service or union positions either).

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
There are few things in life more frustrating that calling a 1-800 number for tech support or to resolve a billing issue...only to reach someone who is almost impossible to understand due to their heavy accent combined with the delay and echo effect of an international phone call.

I am not a bigot and since I am not bilingual myself I am the last person on earth who would have the right to criticize someone in a foreign country for having a heavy accent or speaking poor English. But as a paying customer I resent it when I need help and I am forced to get that help from a person who cannot communicate clearly with me. And knowing that a fellow American lost their job to this person only makes matters worse.

JustTired

free at last.......
The bottom line is.........We are destroying the United States to fit into a "global economy". We outsource a good deal of our production to a "Communist" country. How's that working out? Oh, yeah! They are about to take over as the leading manufacturing country in the world. As a matter of fact, the number one nation in the world in almost every category with the exception of "human rights" issues. After all......they are a communist country. Those corporations who are exploiting the cheap labor a communist country provides should be ashamed and the American people should boycott those that participate. I know, easier said than done. But it is us....the American people....who are and will suffer the consequences of corporate greed. Better teach your kids Chinese....I think they're going to need it.

rod

Retired 22 years
The bottom line is.........We are destroying the United States to fit into a "global economy". We outsource a good deal of our production to a "Communist" country. How's that working out? Oh, yeah! They are about to take over as the leading manufacturing country in the world. As a matter of fact, the number one nation in the world in almost every category with the exception of "human rights" issues. After all......they are a communist country. Those corporations who are exploiting the cheap labor a communist country provides should be ashamed and the American people should boycott those that participate. I know, easier said than done. But it is us....the American people....who are and will suffer the consequences of corporate greed. Better teach your kids Chinese....I think they're going to need it.

What for? I think China has a "master plan"--------------------and it don't include you or me or our kids

bluehdmc

India and China are the two fastest growing economies with more people entering the "middle" class. Indian manufacture's now own Jaguar automobiles, there was a deal in the works to sell Saturn to a Chinese company but that fell through. Many companies have built manufacturing facilities in China, India, and Brazil, (another growing economy), not to manufacture items to then export back to the US but to sell in the countries where they are manufactured. Much the same way BMW, Honda, Nissan and others do here.

kmjs14

India and China are the two fastest growing economies with more people entering the "middle" class. Indian manufacture's now own Jaguar automobiles, there was a deal in the works to sell Saturn to a Chinese company but that fell through. Many companies have built manufacturing facilities in China, India, and Brazil, (another growing economy), not to manufacture items to then export back to the US but to sell in the countries where they are manufactured. Much the same way BMW, Honda, Nissan and others do here.

I'm sure we will do just fine on the same ole path. We will continue to give billions in aid to foreign countries and billions for war in foreign lands all while our own people struggle and corporations move operations and jobs off shore. I won't even mention the deficit.

I'm sure we will do just fine on the same ole path. We will continue to give billions in aid to foreign countries and billions for war in foreign lands all while our own people struggle and corporations move operations and jobs off shore. I won't even mention the deficit.
That's America the land of the free and the home of the brave.