Advice for new swing driver

F10N55GAP-EM

Hi guys I'm a new swing driver and I'm really struggling finding addresses especially with the ride along training me wanting to do it his way and learning the loop off the top of my head.im not address savvy never have been and how did guys learn how to find addresses with just reading it? Should I use the GPS handheld until I learn the loop? I feel like I'm wasting so much time gpsing everything I'm losing hope and about to break.ive been on for about a week now and my main downfall is finding the different street cutoffs, courts, places, terraces in between for resis. If it's a business or major street/avenue I'm good. The different street cutoffs are what get me. PLEASE HELP WHATS THE BEST WAY TO LEARN.

whenIgetthere

Hi guys I'm a new swing driver and I'm really struggling finding addresses especially with the ride along training me wanting to do it his way and learning the loop off the top of my head.im not address savvy never have been and how did guys learn how to find addresses with just reading it? Should I use the GPS handheld until I learn the loop? I feel like I'm wasting so much time gpsing everything I'm losing hope and about to break.ive been on for about a week now and my main downfall is finding the different street cutoffs, courts, places, terraces in between for resis. If it's a business or major street/avenue I'm good. The different street cutoffs are what get me. PLEASE HELP WHATS THE BEST WAY TO LEARN.
I was a swing for more than 12 years, but I'm old school. Doubt my methods would work today.

Mutineer

Be thankful you have a GPS and not a 10yo Thomas Guide with pages missing.

No way to learn without suffering.

Odd numbers on one side of the street, evens on the opposite side.

Fractional addresses (100 1/2) are usually in alleys. But will show up on a box as 100.5

Oftentimes towns or neighborhoods will have an alphabetical street name theme in order: Apple, Briarwood, Cherry, Dogwwod, Ebony, etc.

Sometimes street name suffixes are designated by direction. For example: Blvd suffix streets run N/S, Rd suffix streets run E/W.

On corner lots, the street the front door opens onto is the street name that building is designated as.

FedexCares

I would recommend just trying to tough it out for a few months as it will become easier even though it might not seem like it now. If you have to use GPS right now to find addresses then use it, it’s a tool to be used like anything else.

One thing you can do with GPS is plot all the residential area stops all at once, at least the areas that give you issues. This is generally faster then doing it between stops one at a time, and you can save each stop as a pin on GPS map so you can see all the stops plotted in a general area before you run it. This should make you more efficient.

Swing positions are just rough, especially for the first few months. Just try to relax and do the best you can and realize Fedex needs you so badly that it’s not really going to matter how well you do so don’t sweat it.

chris45

I use the leo map to see what order probably makes sense and then go to Google maps on my phone and put 9 addresses in(that's all it allows) and keep doing that until I'm done

I don't even try to learn routes this is easier/faster

McFeely

Huge Member
Do you guys no longer have the maps with the dots where the address is on the LEO?
We do still have it, but it doesn’t always work perfectly.

Yesterday my Leo showed 72 stops when I left the building, but I realized that I had an additional 24 stops only listed as tracking numbers and no map info. Not awful for a regular route driver, but a total pain for a swing or someone new.

F10N55GAP-EM

Do you guys no longer have the maps with the dots where the address is on the LEO?
We do have the Leo with map option and turn by turn but I feel like the guy training me doesn't like me using it and is just making me all nervous everytime I just stop for 2mins to plan my next few stops.or like there's many different ways to run the route but if it isn't the way he's saying it's not right. I try not to use turn by turn for every stop just see the pins in different areas and hit up those spots till they're clear. But say I wanted to start on the south side he would be like no start from the north.like I'm always wrong.also like doing all the events together on one street then the odds and not hopping back and forth from.which I get.im surprised FedEx hasn't come up with some sort of software that doesn't just sequence your stops from 1sr to last in correct efficient order? Hmm

It will be fine

We do have the Leo with map option and turn by turn but I feel like the guy training me doesn't like me using it and is just making me all nervous everytime I just stop for 2mins to plan my next few stops.or like there's many different ways to run the route but if it isn't the way he's saying it's not right. I try not to use turn by turn for every stop just see the pins in different areas and hit up those spots till they're clear. But say I wanted to start on the south side he would be like no start from the north.like I'm always wrong.also like doing all the events together on one street then the odds and not hopping back and forth from.which I get.im surprised FedEx hasn't come up with some sort of software that doesn't just sequence your stops from 1sr to last in correct efficient order? Hmm
Looking at the stops plotted on a map and routing yourself will be faster than any software.