Advice needed. Coming in off the street to FT driver

Rbf278

Hello everyone. I worked part time at UPS for 8 years. I quit back in 2007 and have regretted doing so (took a long time though). I finally get word that UPS is hiring someone off the street to drive full time. I contacted a few people I knew there and now have a potential opportunity to go back. How does this 30 day probation period work? Ive never driven a truck that size how long does it take to get use to? How hard is to make scratch? This is a big decision and I am really nervous about leaving my current job and jumping in head first, especially when I have 2 small children a mortgage etc..

Overpaid Union Thug

Hello everyone. I worked part time at UPS for 8 years. I quit back in 2007 and have regretted doing so (took a long time though). I finally get word that UPS is hiring someone off the street to drive full time. I contacted a few people I knew there and now have a potential opportunity to go back. How does this 30 day probation period work? Ive never driven a truck that size how long does it take to get use to? How hard is to make scratch? This is a big decision and I am really nervous about leaving my current job and jumping in head first, especially when I have 2 small children a mortgage etc..
Does your current job pay well? Benefits? Is it a successful company that'll likely be around for years to come? If not then come on back. The first thirty days might be rough though. If you can get through that then this job could be gravy if you do it right. It's a gravy job for good pay and benefits millions of Americans would love to have it.

Box Ox

Don't do it unless you're unhappy with your current job AND could deal with not seeing your family much.

This isn't a 30 year gig anymore for the new people just coming in. At least, not in my area.

The old timers who were around before all of the changes happened are glad they're well along and just holding on at this point.

Mechanic86

Turd Polishing Expert
Nothing is guaranteed until you make seniority so its a pretty big gamble which could have massive consequences for you and your family. On the other hand, no risk no reward. Those are 30 working days by the way so its closer to 6 weeks if they worked you 40+ hours a week.

Rbf278

Thanks. I have about a week to make a decision. I'm on my wife's insurance since my current job doe not offer benefits. I'm 32 years old. When I worked at ups the first time as a part timer I was there from ages 17- 25

Overpaid Union Thug

Don't let your age deter you from making the decision. If you can get in and get past your 30-day probation it could very well be smooth sailing from there. If you follow all the methods not only will your age not matter but the job itself will help keep you in shape. There are some rough days out there but in general it's a pretty easy job if you do it right.

Many of the older and higher seniority drivers that are having problems physically now probably got that way because of bad habits when they were younger. Particularly in bonus centers. There are many people that will tell you this job will break you down but it doesn't have to. It really all depends on you. This is not the hardest manual labor job in the world. But if you don't do it right it might as well be.

tacken

10 - 12 HOUR DAYS, Work the methods don't be a hero, get ready for the abuse they will give you. and the $35 is down the road. Its a marathon not a sprint. Lots of pros and cons to this job..