after putting in the time, and moving up to a feeder driver position quesiton....

So lets say a package handler is working, putting in several years of hard work. then an opportunity for a combo, or full time position opens up. he moves up, and puts in more of his time. then the time comes, where he thinks about becoming a driver. My question is this: if you are full time in house, can you put your name on the "feeder" driver waiting list? or do you have to move up into a package car driver before you can become a feeder driver? I have one person I know telling me that you have to become a pc driver first, and another friend telling me at another location that you can skip over the whole pc car driver position and put your name on the waiting list for feeders as long as you are working full time in house. so which is it? I am curious to know, cause I want to stay at ups, and I eventually way down the road want to drive tractor trailer, but I dont necessarily want to drive the package cars. thanks for any input on this

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
As far as I know you have to have feeders come out of your building to sign bids to them. If you have feeders out of your building they are given on siniority basis as FT bid jobs. Generally speaking the FT bid people are already package car drivers and will take the feeder jobs to finish out thier careers. Least that's how I understand it for our building.

brownrod

In our building new feeder positions are put up for bid. If no full time employee wants a feeder job then it goes to the highest senior part time employee on the bid sheet. We have at least 2 feeder drivers who went from part time to feeder because no full time employees were interested.

gorilla75jdw

you do not have to be in package car to bid on feeders , anybody can . it will go by seniorty , but what your friend might be saying to you is that , being fulltime package car or combo is the fastes way to feeders , and in my hub going package is the fastest way to combos or feeders , because not as many people want to do package anymore .

menotyou

bella amicizia
As stated before, it depends on your building situation as it varies wildly from state to state. Best thing to do would be to call you local union hall. Good luck.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I have no idea. We have a few feeder runs out of our center but I have no idea exactly how many. I know one is daytime local pickups.

Cementups

Box Monkey
No, you do not have a to be a package car driver to be a feeder driver. I have a few friends that went from part time handlers to feeder drivers. It al depends on position availability.

overallowed

In our building, part of the qualification is you must have at least 1 years of safe driving. Kinda hard to do that if you are a loader.

OptimusPrime

In our building, part of the qualification is you must have at least 1 years of safe driving. Kinda hard to do that if you are a loader.

This is on our signup sheets as well. But apparently it's not a steadfast rule. My friend who is a combo worker got his shot. Didn't make it, couldn't back up well. But he was given the opportunity.

lazydriver

Years ago I trained a hubrat for feeders,who never drove package car or knew how to drive stick shift. For the first two days I only let him bobtail until he could shift somewhat. It was in a 5 speed Volvo White cabover, I would sometimes have to reach over from the passenger seat and shift the truck without clutch for him. He is now one of our safest drivers, but he did crash his motorcycle and was out for almost a year. I guess 2 wheels are alot different than 18 wheels.

rocket man

so lets say a package handler is working, putting in several years of hard work. Then an opportunity for a combo, or full time position opens up. He moves up, and puts in more of his time. Then the time comes, where he thinks about becoming a driver. My question is this: If you are full time in house, can you put your name on the "feeder" driver waiting list? Or do you have to move up into a package car driver before you can become a feeder driver? I have one person i know telling me that you have to become a pc driver first, and another friend telling me at another location that you can skip over the whole pc car driver position and put your name on the waiting list for feeders as long as you are working full time in house. So which is it? I am curious to know, cause i want to stay at ups, and i eventually way down the road want to drive tractor trailer, but i dont necessarily want to drive the package cars. Thanks for any input on this
therre are so many people that work in one man building. Heres another one

so are you saying someone with 1 year of safe driving experience will have seniority over a feeder bid, over a part time loader who has been there longer who wants the same bid?