AGFS Panic Call

Ricochet1a

Having done some reading on past actions by FedEx, led me to the old “FedUp” web site (inactive since 1999). It was the outlet for Kevin Osiowy out of Chicago area GYYA station. He wrote in 1997:

“In my heart, I will never again be able to place any trust whatsoever in FedEx management. I don't care if they fix our pension plan so that we'll not have to work for pimple-faced kids at fast food joints or hail cabs for rich folks in our retirement years. It matters not to me if FedEx gives us all the raises we should have been getting all along to keep even with the cost of living. What FedEx gives us grudgingly today, it can just as easily take away from us any time in the future. Until we are working under a contractual agreement with management, we all remain at their complete mercy. And as we've all seen throughout these past 6 to 7 years, mercy from FedEx management is administered in a most miserly fashion...
Last year (1997), when the union movement had Fred and the boyz running scared, did you notice that with each of the first two anti-union raises came the announcement that other raises were scheduled for the immediate future? Did you also happen to notice that when we received the last raise in February that it was conspicuously missing the announcement of any future pay increases? That's because the union impetus began to wane in the fall of ‘97 and Fred and the boyz are sensing that their anti-union tactics of raises and policy reversals have quieted the natives down. This only serves to prove that management at FedEx is anything but pro-active where it's employees' concerns are concerned. It is strictly reactive!

This was 12 years ago!!! It’s amazing how the same things come around again. Those who fail to learn the lessons of history are doomed to repeat it…. The funny thing is that FedEx thinks that throwing us 2% now will make up for wages that are over 30% below what they should be.

Kevin gave advice which mirrors the advice that I gave a week ago (what goes around comes around…).

“It's also important to understand that unless and until we become unionized, those of us who choose to discuss unionization with our peers are treading upon dangerous ground. When we were organizing our meetings at GYY, one of the organizers was written up for what management euphemistically called "solicitation!" This is the policy which states that employees cannot solicit support for non- corporate sanctioned causes such as bake sales, candy drives or charitable donations while on company property or during company time. So if you do talk to others about unionization, use common sense and discretion. Talk only to trusted and sympathetic peers and do so out of earshot of those who might be hostile to the union cause. Don't try to shove your beliefs down other's throats! If someone seems uninterested or unsympathetic, don't press the issue. Furthermore, don't alienate your peers by referring to those who do not support unionization in disparaging ways. Remain friendly and professional with all your coworkers regardless of where they stand on the subject of unionization. You will influence more people by positive behavior and will only serve to drive possibly sympathetic folks away if you attempt to browbeat or intimidate people into seeing your point of view.”
This is what I wrote about, that “bull’s eye” that will be placed on employees that speak that most “unholy word” on FedEx property: “union”. Kevin’s advice is most sage.

After bothering the people that keep me informed regarding the inner working of FedEx this weekend, I know that the coming weeks are going to resemble all out warfare by FedEx against the employees. FedEx saw what happened to UPS 12 years ago, and isn’t going to let it happen to them if they can do ANYTHING about it. Kevin wrote in his site that the pay disparity between UPS and FedEx back in ’97 was $3/hr for topped out drivers. It is now just under $6/hr, and the pension has been slashed too. At this point, there isn’t much else to lose, on the way down to being treated like the Ground drivers that get $13/hr with no benefits.

Fred is going to try to revert to a near pure part-time work force to minimize his labor costs. This may not be preventable without broad support for unionization this autumn. However, that shouldn’t stop people from trying to get a union in to get the pension restored and some sort of job security for the near term. When the first commercial spot hits the airwaves this Tuesday, Fred will have made his public declaration of war against his employees and will not-stop until his attorneys are hit by a court order to negotiate with the union in good faith.

bubsdad

"Hang in there!"
I hope if you guys do get the opportunity to organize, Ricochet is on the negotiating committee. And should run for BA or at least Chief. Very informative posts.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Great post Ricochet. I have not heard anything about an ad campaign except on this site. I'm assuming it's going to be some sort of anti-Teamster rant designed to create support among the sheeple for Fred and his fight for what's "good and right". Well, EFFU Freddie...

If that's what he's got cooking, isn't that going to explode in his face when his employees are shown publicly how far Smith is willing to go to throw them under the bus (again)? Even the purple people are starting to figure it out now, and they were like missionaries for the Church of Smith.

Your comments about only talking to trusted co-workers is spot-on. You and I understand how FedEx management works, but UPS people don't. The "solicitation" tactic is one that's been used before...with great success. They have operated outside the bounds of the law for so long that they think they can do anything and get away with it. Just another example of how the anti-union game is played at FedEx. To even talk about the Teamsters will get you on the watch list, which does exist because I've seen emails and memos that have names. You'd be surprised how many managers are on-board with us because they know the scam too. They hate it, but mouth the words because they know they'd be canned in a heartbeat if their names got to their superiors.

I hope Smith's tactics backfire and instead incur the wrath of both the public and his few remaining loyal idiots. He deserves to go down in flames, and when he has to open that fat wallet of his and release the hordes of moths inside, he's going to feel the pain where it hurts him most.

over9five

Staff member
Post copies of that anti-union crap. Love to see it!

An anonymous source sent me this:

(FEDEX LOGO)

Q & A on FedEx Express and the Railway Labor Act

1. What is the Railway Labor Act (RLA)?
The Railway Labor Act is a law that was originally passed by the U.S. Congress
in 1926 to govern railroad labor negotiations and limit economically crippling
strikes. The law was a direct response to several damaging local strikes that had
bottle-necked railroads, which were the only national transportation system of
that period. As transportation systems evolved. the law expanded to cover airlines
and express carriers, which are the dominant national transportation systems of
today. As an air express carrier with a combined air / ground network, FedEx
Express has been correctly covered under The Railway Labor Act since the
Founding of the company in 1972

2. Why is the RLA necessary?

The purpose of the RLA -- then and now ·— is offer employees a process by
which to unionize if they choose and engage in collective bargaining while also
protecting national (now global) commerce from damaging work Stoppages and
delays. Specifically, the FLA ensures that an entire Transportation system, like
FedEx Express, cannot be shutdown by the actions of a local segment of the
network. Removing FedEx Express from RLA jurisdiction could expose our
customers to the type of service disruptions that the RLA was designed to prevent
- local work stoppages in key areas that interrupt the timely flow of shipments
throughout our global network, Such protection is a vital business need for a
company like FedEx Express because it gives our customers the ability to count
on the reliability of our service.

3. What legislation has been proposed to change FedEx Express' RLA status?

As a direct result of lobbying by UPS and the Teamsters working closely together,
a provision has been added to the House of Representatives version to the FAA
Reauthorization Bill now under review by Congress. That provision aims to
amend the RLA to cover only FAA licensed employees such as pilots, aircraft
maintenance technicians, and aircraft dispatchers. If the provision passes into law,
all other employees at FedEx Express would be covered by the National Labor
Relations Act (NLRA). The provision is not in the Senate version of the hill at
this time.

4. Why are UPS and the Teamsters teaming up an this lobbying campaign?

FedEx Express has long provided superior express service to customers.
Handling air express shipments in a separate, dedicated network at FedEx Express
is a big reason for that. UPS it desperate to close the service gap with FedEx
Express, and the Teamsters are desperate for new dues-paying members to pay for
their sagging pension funds and expensive political agendas. UPS apparently
thinks removing many FedEx Express employees from RLA jurisdiction would
allow them to gain a competitive advantage, possibly by making our express
service less reliable in the eyes of customers. At the same time, the Teamsters,
who represent 250,000 UPS employees, only stand to gain if UPS beats FedEx in
the marketplace. One Point is very clear and something every FedEx Express
employee should understand: anything that UPS and the Teamsters want this
badly cannot be good for FedEx.

5. Why should FedEx Express remain under the jurisdiction of the RLA?

FedEx Express has been correctly covered by the RLA since our First day of
operation in 1972. All Employees at U.S. Airlines have always been covered by the
RLA. FedEx Express remains an airline-centered operation. with out pickup and
delivery network fully integrated with our air network to move Shipments door-to-
door. The RLA Status of FedEx Express has been continually reaffirmed by
courts and federal agencies. In 1996, Congress also reaffirmed that our
employees were: classified properly under the RLA. Every court or agency that
has looked at the issue has ruled that FedEx Express belongs under the RLA.
That is why UPS and Teamsters are now putting so much time money and
effort into changing the RLA itself

6. Are the employees at FedEx Ground and FedEx Freight covered by the RLA?

No. Like UPS, FedEx Ground and FedEx Freight are covered by the National
Labor Relations Act (NLRA) Our integrated air and ground network
differentiates us from FedEx Ground and FedEx Freight. The fact that FedEx
Express is a separate and distinct network for air shipments is what separates us
from UPS.

over9five

Staff member
7. What are main differences In the RLA and the NLRA?

They are both laws that govern union organizing and collective bargaining. The
main difference is the RLA specifically designed to govern the unique
circumstances of national transportation systems to protect the flow of commerce.
Under the RLA, groups that wish to unionize must do so across nationwide
classes of employees The RLA also requires mandatory government-led
mediation of contract disputes supervised by the National Mediation Board before
a union can strike or an employer can replace employees or impose contract
terms. This part of the RLA helps minimize the chances of crippling strikes that
would shutdown large portions of the economy.

The NLRA is a more general piece of legislation geared to general and local labor
situations. The NLRA covers the vast majority of American workers because
only a small percentage of them work in national transportation Systems. Under
the NLRA, employees can unionize in small localized groups, and government-
led mediation is not in required step in the negotiation process.

8. Why are most UPS employees classified under the NLRA?

UPS has been under the NLRA since that law was passed in l935 because they
have always been n ground company. When UPS began its airline segment in the
early 1980s, the employees in that segment were classified under the RLA - like
all other airlines, including FedEx Express. UPS does not handle their air
shipments in a separate and distinct network that ties directly into their air
operation, as FedEx Express does. That is the reason their pickup and delivery
employees have remained covered by the NLRL

NOTE: It is noteworthy that throughout the 1990s, UPS sought to have their
drivers reclassified from the NLRA to the RLA. Only after a decade of
failure at that effort did UPS join the Teamsters in trying to reclassify
FedEx Express.

9. Is FedEx opposing the change in RLA status because they are anti-union?

FedEx Express has always acknowledged that employees have the right to
unionize if they so choose, and respects all the laws and regulation that ensure
that right. FedEx Express prefers to deal directly with employees without a third
party in between Our 37 year track record as one of America’s best places to
work and best service providers shows that formula works very well for our
employee and our customers. The Teamsters have said that changing our
employees to NLRA status will make it easier for them to unionize. Interestingly,
only 8% of private sector employees covered under the NLRA are unionized
today. In contrast, approximately 70% of private sector employees covered by the
RLA are Unionized,

10. What is the difference between this RLA amendment and the Employee Free
Choice Act (EFCA)?

The Employee Free Choice Act (also called "Card Check") is a separate,
unrelated piece of proposed legislation that seeks to amend the National Labor
Relations Act. Among other things, EFCA would eliminate employees' absolute
right to a secret ballet vote in union elections, making it easier for unions to
directly pressure people to sign up. The goal of EFCA is to reverse the half-
century decline of unions that has seen their membership drop to 8% of the public
sector workforce.

The RLA amendment to the FAA Reauthorization Bill benefits only one company
-- UPS. It is also important to note that long as FedEx Express remains
Covered by the RLA the Employee Free Choice Act would not apply to Express
Employees. Under the RLA, Express employees would still have a right to secret
ballot elections if they choose to unionize.

11. How does our RLA status affect the announced purchase of B-777r we have
announced?
In our latest B-777 contract with Boeing, a provision was included that cancels 15
orders if FedEx Express or any of its employees is removed from the jurisdiction
of the RLA. This clause does not affect the first 15 B-777s we have on order.
only the last 15 aircraft currently on order. This provision was included in the
contract as a prudent precaution against a possible major change in the
circumstances of our business. It is a reasonable contingency to put in place
because at change of that magnitude could affect the structure of our network or
the fundamentals of our business model At this time, we still plan to complete
the purchase of all 30 B-777s.

Ricochet1a

The above anti-union infomation was made available to FedEx employees on 6/1/09. Most stations just posted it on the station bulletin board, some photocopied the whole thing (it is a few pages) and stuck a copy into the "mailbox" of every employee. The above anti-union document was signed by Bronczek, head of the Express "division" of FedEx Corporation.

The ad campaign which starts tomorrow will be targeted to strategic markets. The Washington DC media market will receive the majority of the airtime. This is intended to provide the greatest bang for the buck in reaching Senators and more importantly their staffers. Those that live in the DC market are familiar with the running of ads that are targeted specifically for Members of Congress and their staffers (which aren't aired in other US markets).

The majority of the remainder of the ads will be targeted in the states who have Senators that sit on the Transporation Committee of the Senate. This is to get their constituitents to call/write to keep FedEx's RLA exemption in place. Those who live in states that don't have Senators on the Transportation Committee, or are represented by primarily a Republican delegation probably won't see any of the spots (unless they happen to be watching a national cable channel (CNN, Fox etc.).

Ricochet1a

Scheduled hearing for the Commerce, Science and Transportation Committee in the US Senate. The battle gets into full swing next week...

Aviation Safety: The Role and Responsibility of Commercial Air Carriers and Employees Aviation Operations, Safety, and Security
Wednesday, June 17, 2009 10:00 AM
SR - 253 WASHINGTON, D.C. – Senator John D. (Jay) Rockefeller IV (D-WV), Chairman of the U.S. Committee on Commerce, Science and Transportation, announces the following subcommittee hearing on Aviation Safety: The Role and Responsibility of Commercial Air Carriers and Employees.

http://commerce.senate.gov/public/i...aring_ID=4e8e64ab-df44-4f79-b1b1-19f691b60d21

Ricochet1a

Members of the Senate Committee on Commerce, Science and Transportation

Democrats Republicans
Byron Dorgan Jim DeMint
Daniel Inouye Olympia Snowe
John Kerry John Ensign
Barbara Boxer John Thune
Bill Nelson Roger Wicker
Maria Cantwell Johnny Isakson
Frank Lautenberg David Vitter
Mark Pryor Sam Brownback
Claire McCaskill Mel Martinez
Amy Klobuchar Mike Johanns
Mark Warner
Mark Begich

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
A completely "objective" viewpoint on the part of Mr Bronczek and Fedex. What a pack of lies...I hope they get torn a new one when this garbage hits the streets.

We have a meeting Tuesday moring for our entire station, I wonder if it's about the possible raise you guys have been talking about or possible more layoffs..

CHICAGO, June 8 (Reuters) - Package delivery company FedEx Corp will launch a campaign on Tuesday attacking main rival United Parcel Service Inc over a bill in Congress that FedEx said amounts to a bailout for UPS.
The Internet campaign at www.brownbailout.com -- which goes live on Tuesday -- attacks Atlanta-based UPS over a reauthorization bill for the Federal Aviation Administration that was passed by the U.S. House of Representatives in May and awaits Senate approval.

Ricochet1a

We have a meeting Tuesday moring for our entire station, I wonder if it's about the possible raise you guys have been talking about or possible more layoffs..

This will be the "dog and pony" show that I have been writing about (check my previous posts by clicking my ID). The primary thrust of this meeting will be to attempt to convince the fence sitters to not sign a union card should FedEx's RLA status gets converted.

Whether or not any mention of the very strong rumor coming out of Memphis regarding a 2% pay raise being mentioned in these station meetings is unknown. As of this evening, I haven't heard anything yet that would indicate an impending announcement is imminent. My information is a bit stale on this issue (Saturday).

At my working location, we haven't had an official announcement of the Sr. Mgr. meeting; but then again, the likeliehood of my station certifying a union in the event of FedEx having its RLA status revoked is extremely low right now (and they know that from the SFA results for each individual station). I'd imagine that my location would be close to last to certify a union, due to demographics and other factors which are "peculiar" to my location.

Please give a summary of the meeting tomorrow evening on this thread, so we can better put together FedEx's battle plan.

One of the things that amazes me is the almost complete lack of awareness of most employees about what is going on. Most are too scared to even actively seek out information. They take what FedEx states as Gospel, and literally put their trust in Fred. Having worked in a variety of different careers, I'm shocked by the complacency demonstrated by a majority of employees in my location. The majority don't even know the pay differential between FedEx and UPS. The majority don't even know the cost of medical insurance coverage for retirees each month. A lack of information and complacency are the greatest obstacles facing successful unionization.

Even with the RLA exemption getting pulled, I believe that only about 35-45% of US stations would certify a union in their operating location immediately after the change in status. This is why FedEx is launching the ad campaign, and is attempting to engage in a veiled anti-union presentation by the senior managers.

They were going to have either MT3 or someone else do a video, but they realized after the SFA that Memphis management has no credibility right now, so that is why the presentation was pushed down to the senior manager level to present. They are going to be speaking off a set of talking points, so once one presentation is given, we can post a synopsis and everyone can compare that to what they heard in their location.

I imagine that it could be performed with a talking parrot: "SQUAWK,FedEx is good, FedEx is good, SQUAWK", "SQUAWK, Teamsters are bad, Teamsters are bad, SQUAWK!!

The difference this time (as compared to '97) is that the salaried employees took an even bigger hit than the hourly employees (lost their bonuses, took a 5% pay cut). This is the screw-up of FedEx this time. The salaried employees were stuffed under the bus along with the hourly employees this time around. In a round-about way, the salaried employees are literally PRAYING that we succeed in unionizing.

Here's why. Let's assume for the sake of argument that the Couriers, RTD's and mechanics get their defined benefit pension plan back on a national level.

What incentive will a career hourly employee have to become a salaried employee and lose their defined benefit pension plan? Absolutely none.

What is the primary source of Ops managers and Senior managers? Hourly employees that got tired of driving a truck.

What incentive will hourly employees have to step into management a few years from now (when the surplus is gone) if they will lose beneflits and most likely lose take home pay (Ops managers make much less than UPS drivers and would make less than unionized FedEx Couriers/RTD's). Absolutely none.

If the hourlies unionize, the benefits and salaries for the non-hourly employees would also have to start to gradually increase to keep attracting "talent". Fred know this, and this is part of the reason he is fighting so hard. If 70,000 full time equivalent employees end up bringing in $20,000 a year more in benefits and wages, Fred's annual labor expense goes up $1.4 BILLION. FedEx would have to trim some of the fat in Memphis (there are useless salaried employees in Memphis), increase the rate schedule slightly (explains UPS's motivation behind getting the RLA pulled), and most feared of all, reduce the outrageous compensation packages for the senior executives to keep the shareholders happy. Since Fred owns about 6% of FedEx personally, he'd take the biggest hit (both in terms of personal compensation and reduced dividends/stock growth). Explains why he is "fangs out" on this.

In case any doubt-ers think a $1.4 Billion increase isn't sustainable by FedEx... FedEx brings in about $16 Billion in revenue in the last year (going off the top of my head, the annual financial report comes out late next week). FedEx has about 50% of its revenue going out to cover labor expenses. What is the percentage for UPS? About 65% of revenue covers labor expense. Having FedEx employees getting an average of $20,000 a year additional woudl increase FedEx's labor expense to about 60% of revenues, COMPLETELY ACHIEVABLE. This is the savings that Fred has been experiencing in having a union free company.

Ricochet1a I will let you know what the meeting was all about in the morning. You are so right when you stated the lack of awareness of most employees. I brought up the fact about the difference in pay and the rumors of how Fedex really works and I got the look of a deer in headlights. I have told many to keep your eyes open and to watch your back. The direction that the company is going is not favoring the express couriers of today. There was a meeting with the VP of the region at a station a few months ago and he told the couriers that the E2 and Express Saver freight was going over to Ground. If we loose that freight we loose hours and routes it's a shame because we are the ones that built this company. What a slap in your face to know that the company that you have worked so hard for and made many sacrifices for(mandatory Christmas Day) would outsource your work to Ground. Just doesn't feel right....

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Ricochet1a I will let you know what the meeting was all about in the morning. You are so right when you stated the lack of awareness of most employees. I brought up the fact about the difference in pay and the rumors of how Fedex really works and I got the look of a deer in headlights. I have told many to keep your eyes open and to watch your back. The direction that the company is going is not favoring the express couriers of today. There was a meeting with the VP of the region at a station a few months ago and he told the couriers that the E2 and Express Saver freight was going over to Ground. If we loose that freight we loose hours and routes it's a shame because we are the ones that built this company. What a slap in your face to know that the company that you have worked so hard for and made many sacrifices for(mandatory Christmas Day) would outsource your work to Ground. Just doesn't feel right....

Yes..watch your back. Even though it's illegal to target employees who favor unions, FedEx has been doing it for years. One word out of your mouth about the Teamsters, and your name is on a list and on the MD's desk that same day. Fred would sell his own mother if it netted him an extra penny in profit. He's a piece ********.

Last edited by a moderator:

SmithBarney

SFA,(Survey Feedback Action?) honestly not 100% what it means, but what it is
is a Survey on the company, your senior manager and your managers

Ricochet1a

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

This is why I am spending my time passing on all this information. I know my station it is a lost cause, but I also know that by making this information available for those who are furious about what is happening, but are unsure about the reasons why; I can have a positive influence on those elsewhere in the country. I've explained Fred's self-interest, and this is my self interest:to get the Teamsters into as many stations as possible, to create a cascade effect to the other stations that initially don't vote to certify a union. Then I can have a chance at getting my pension back.

I'm not trying to "preach to the choir" as many participants to this list oft do. I'm trying to preach to the congregation (the FedEx frontline employee who is a "lurker" to this list). The choir is going to sign the union card when the time comes, no need to worry about them. I want all those who read this list (the lurker) to have a logical, pragmatic poster who presents facts and informed speculation, and is spurred to action to talk to their fellow employees about what is going on. If I can somehow get a handful of additional people in each station to vote to certify a union late this summer, I will have done my part in getting this situation changed for the better.

I ask that you give the name of the VP and region (if you feel it is safe for you) that gave the information about the non-overnight volume going to Ground. This is the single most critical thing I've been writing about!!! Many posters to this forum don't believe that FedEx is planning to shift non-overnight volume to Ground. This is the FedEx MASTER PLAN!!! I could name names that I've spoken with, but it would blow my cover, and more importantly their cover (thus ending the information flow). If a VP has stated this publically, then no one can doubt my assertions regarding FedEx wanting to go to a almost pure part-time Courier work force. This is CRITICAL!!!

This is why I was trying to stop the bandwagon everyone was seeming to want to jump on a few weeks ago. Everyone was posting that Fred was already defeated, and started opening the champaign. Whoa!!!

FedEx already has a master plan for the future of Express. They've already created a parallel package delivery company with low paid employees getting the volume moved. The only difference between Ground and Express is the use of aircraft by Express as part of its line haul network. The next step is to upgrade the Ground software to handle Express barcodes, to enable scanning of Express packages by Ground "contractors" so they can perform POD's. Express is already implementing the ROADS system, so that Couriers aren't required on the AM sort (once all the bugs are ironed out). When Ground can "handle" Express packages, and Express has the ROADS system fully operational, the full time Courier will no longer be necessary for Express' business plan. A near pure part-time Courier force can be used. One group in the AM, another in the PM. This is Fred's plan to further cut labor costs, and reduce the probability of a union ever getting into Express.

Part-time workers are not "career" by nature, and are easier to intimidate into not becoming union members. Many of the part-timers that I've spoken with are loathe to join the Teamsters. They have this media created image of the Teamster as having a set of brass knuckles in their hip pocket, and a baseball bat in the cab of their truck, and want nothing to do with that "image" they have of the Teamsters. They view their time at FedEx as purely temporary, and don't want to "rock the boat".

This is why I try to argue based upon actual dollars and cents. Both in current wages, and cost of benefits and level of pension funding. When people see hard numbers they can bite into, they tend to be a little more motivated to take action.

So if FedEx is planning to going to a part-time Courier force, what can a current Courier do? Make the decision to sign the union card when the time is right.

If enough stations vote to certify a union late this summer, Fred's plans for FedEx will be seriously impacted. He wasn't planning on fighting this fight again, after he so easily won the last one 12 years ago. From Fred's perspective, he needs another 18 to 24 months to "throw the switch" on the career Courier (non-overnight to Ground, ROADS taking Couriers off the AM sort). If enough stations simultaneously vote to certify a union, Fred will be in a bind.

Express is over 80% of the revenue stream of FedEx Corporation. It it the flagship of FedEx. If anything happens to Express, the other operating companies will have problems just because of the problems of Express. If Express catches the flu, the rest of FedEx will be sick too. Fred simply CANNOT allow any service disruptions with Express. If enough stations certify at the same time, he will be left with the choice of having to buy off the union, or perform a lock out. From his perspective, it is a Catch-22.

If enough stations certify simultaneously, Fred won't be able to plug all the leaks, and the union will have negotiating power to specify that full-time positions MUST be preserved as part of the contract. The Teamsters did this in 97 with UPS, preserviing full-time jobs and limiting the use of part-time labor if enough work was present to utliize a full-time employee.