Air Drivers converted to 22.4s

Diazq

So i’m in local 577 and I was wondering where in our contract does it say that air drivers bidding into a full time driving position are not required to complete a 30 day packet. I’ve been reading my master and local, and I was just wondering where this loop whole would be stated. I might be that i’m just clueless so if anyone could help me out it would be appreciated. So I started driving in june 2020 as a TCD and I have driven every day ever since including several 6th punches. I was converted to a 22.4 while on vacation in may 2021. So while I was on vacation, 2 other part time air drivers also got converted to 22.4s. We were the first 3 22.4s in our building since its new here in my center. Anyways they were both previously dq’d while on their 30 days. The both have fulltime seniority over me by a couple of days which im guessing is because of their building seniority. These sorry drivers basically got free passes, what pisses me off is that they will become RPCDs before me. Like how does that work? We had a part timer who had almost 4 years of part time seniority just pass his packet. He had to do one, he didn’t just get converted like the air drivers. Where is the loop hole that didn’t require them to do one?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
So i’m in local 577 and I was wondering where in our contract does it say that air drivers bidding into a full time driving position are not required to complete a 30 day packet. I’ve been reading my master and local, and I was just wondering where this loop whole would be stated. I might be that i’m just clueless so if anyone could help me out it would be appreciated. So I started driving in june 2020 as a TCD and I have driven every day ever since including several 6th punches. I was converted to a 22.4 while on vacation in may 2021. So while I was on vacation, 2 other part time air drivers also got converted to 22.4s. We were the first 3 22.4s in our building since its new here in my center. Anyways they were both previously dq’d while on their 30 days. The both have fulltime seniority over me by a couple of days which im guessing is because of their building seniority. These sorry drivers basically got free passes, what pisses me off is that they will become RPCDs before me. Like how does that work? We had a part timer who had almost 4 years of part time seniority just pass his packet. He had to do one, he didn’t just get converted like the air drivers. Where is the loop hole that didn’t require them to do one?
Talk to your steward and/or business agent

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
This is way too confusing to read but I will start off with my own personal, related concerns:
The company has a vested interest in adding extra steps to the process before starting somebody on FT progression. Even if that includes paying top scale for ground packages delivered.
Air drivers, as a result, are very popular with management. So are seasonal and PVD.
They have to be given "the opportunity to qualify tm" in building seniority order, and a Disqualification might be just 6 months depending on where you are at, and then they rebid in seniority order again. I cannot parse your sentances to know if this was the case.

Diazq

This is way too confusing to read but I will start off with my own personal, related concerns:
The company has a vested interest in adding extra steps to the process before starting somebody on FT progression. Even if that includes paying top scale for ground packages delivered.
Air drivers, as a result, are very popular with management. So are seasonal and PVD.
They have to be given "the opportunity to qualify tm" in building seniority order, and a Disqualification might be just 6 months depending on where you are at, and then they rebid in seniority order again. I cannot parse your sentances to know if this was the case.
So to keep it short. Air drivers got converted to 22.4s without doing a packet. So never got trained. They put them on routes and always need help. They have seniority over me so will become RPCDs before me if they want to. Guessing they were just trying to fill up those 22.4 positions asap

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
So to keep it short. Air drivers got converted to 22.4s without doing a packet. So never got trained. They put them on routes and always need help. They have seniority over me so will become RPCDs before me if they want to. Guessing they were just trying to fill up those 22.4 positions asap
What is this phrasing?
If they have seniority over you, that is it.
and all air drivers go through the same intercrap classes just like incoming 22.4
the only grievance you would have is some non-performance metric of fairness or discrimination.
Sounds to me a lot of BA are getting strained by UPS hiring shenanigans. It's a symptom of our times. I do not agree with the stance most of them have taken. We're in a rare window in history where parts of the labor market is a seller's market and they should press that advantage to craft better pt-to-ft language.

Last edited:

542thruNthru

FT air driver or exception air driver?

542thruNthru

I asked the steward one day and he said I was asking the wrong questions. Probably has the backs of management
Don't say this crap. You don't know what you're talking about and slandering another mainly because he doesn't agree with you.
You're southern region and I don't know if you have a local rider but after a quick search I found this.
Screenshot_20210727-141159_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Now I haven't thoroughly looked through your supp so it may contradict this language somewhere else but I would file the grievance and force them to show you where it says otherwise that they don't have to pass a 30 day qualifying period.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
The company can waive any requirements like a 30 day qual period if they so choose and the union is not going to step in and say "No no sir, you can't give these guys a FT job because they haven't finished their 30 day packet!". All the union cares about is that 2 more drivers got FT jobs, and the precedent of not even having to finish their packet is just icing on the cake.

542thruNthru

The company can waive any requirements like a 30 day qual period if they so choose and the union is not going to step in and say "No no sir, you can't give these guys a FT job because they haven't finished their 30 day packet!". All the union cares about is that 2 more drivers got FT jobs, and the precedent of not even having to finish their packet is just icing on the cake.
I've never heard of this.

Also in my opinion that would mean they have to waive it from there forward. The company can not pick and choose who has to take a 30 day qualifying period and who doesn't. That would be discrimination in my opinion.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I've never heard of this.

Also in my opinion that would mean they have to waive it from there forward. The company can not pick and choose who has to take a 30 day qualifying period and who doesn't. That would be discrimination in my opinion.
It's a company requirement, not a union requirement. If a guy wins a bid and for whatever reason the company decides to qualify him before he finishes his 30 who's gonna tell them "no"? Not the Union that's for sure. I'm not saying that's what happened in fact I seriously doubt it because that would set a terrible precedent (for the company). They probably got their 30/120 like the poster said above. I was just responding to the OP's thinking that he would have an actionable grievance if that were the case, which, as I said, I don't think it is.

542thruNthru

It's a company requirement, not a union requirement. If a guy wins a bid and for whatever reason the company decides to qualify him before he finishes his 30 who's gonna tell them "no"? Not the Union that's for sure. I'm not saying that's what happened in fact I seriously doubt it because that would set a terrible precedent (for the company). They probably got their 30/120 like the poster said above. I was just responding to the OP's thinking that he would have an actionable grievance if that were the case, which, as I said, I don't think it is.
I agree somewhat that the union isn't going to stand in the way of the company qualifying people without 30 days but it is in the Supplemental Agreement so it in my opinion it is a company/union requirement and if someone were to file they could win.

Either way we do agree that I doubt it went down that way. Also depending on what type of air driver's they were. They may have never went through a 40 day qualifying period.

Tanktoptony

Let’s say this air driver did have to complete a 30 trial period and passed then what? It sounds like from what the OP said about the air driver’s company seniority he will be promoted before him to RCPD anyway. In the Western region promotion from 22.4 to rcpd is based on company seniority not driving seniority. Few drivers have gone 15 of their 30 day trial period it’s not very often thoug, have not seen where they completely skip it though