Airlines dissing the American Soldier for Excess Baggage

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I think our soldiers --- should travel for free. When entering a plane we should say thank you.
When they are traveling under orders it's all at taxpayer expense. That baggage fee incident was just the result of someone at the counter not using some common sense.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

When they are traveling under orders it's all at taxpayer expense. That baggage fee incident was just the result of someone at the counter not using some common sense.

Jones is right in regards to military personnel traveling on PCS or TDY orders--this does not apply to traveling while on personal leave, although there is a discount for bereavement leave. These are for travel on commercial aircraft. Military personnel can travel space available on military transport aircraft for $10 with preference given to those on bereavement leave or those stationed in a remote area. The only problem with travel on a military plane is that there is no guarantee that you will be on a given flight so you must have a lot of flexibility in your schedule--it is ideal for military retirees. When I was stationed in Sicily and came home on leave I flew to the States on a military jet but flew back on a commercial flight as I wanted to spend as much time as I could in the States and still be back in Sicily on time. (The military is not as lenient as UPS is when it comes to no call/no show).

Please explain this to me.

Instead of a volunteer force where the poor kids or the ones who want to join go off to war a draft lottery would put everyones kids name in the hat. The resulting outcry and lack of support for the politicians behind it would have a withdrawal of forces faster than any of the promises of today will.

bbsam

Staff member
More people literally have "skin in the game". Not only would we stay out of protracted wars, we also would not be so quick and glib about getting into them in the first place. The Bush and Obama doctrines would die a rightful death and we wouldn't become embroiled in foreign wars unless and until there was a threat so imminent and obvious that politicians wouldn't even think about re-election in deciding whether or not to send 500,000 troops into harms way.

klein

Für Meno :)
Wouldn't it just be easily to give up the military then ?

A draft might just send them back to Canada, like during the Vietnam war !
(mind you, didn't stop some from deflecting here because of Iraq, too, I suppose they signed up for more then they bargained for) ??!!!

bbsam

Staff member
Wouldn't it just be easily to give up the military then ?

A draft might just send them back to Canada, like during the Vietnam war !
Relatively few. And think about it. If there is mass migration to Canada, chances are the States aren't up for the war, and politicians won't back it either. Things aren't like the 60's anymore. 24/7 media and the blogosphere are everywhere and the public would either be all in, with sons and daughters in harms way, or we wouldn't be going, period.

klein

Starting in 1965, Canada became a choice haven for American draft dodgers and deserters.
In 1971 and 1972 Canada received more immigrants from the United States than from any other country.
Estimates of the total number of American citizens who moved to Canada due to their opposition to the war range from 50,000 to 125,000 This exodus was "the largest politically motivated migration from the United States since the United Empire Loyalists moved north to oppose the American Revolution.

(needs a new thread, illegal US immigration ) ! LOL

bbsam

Staff member
That was then, this is now. People are more connected and politicians more sensitive to immediate polls.

Starting in 1965, Canada became a choice haven for American draft dodgers and deserters.
In 1971 and 1972 Canada received more immigrants from the United States than from any other country.
Estimates of the total number of American citizens who moved to Canada due to their opposition to the war range from 50,000 to 125,000[SUP][9][/SUP] This exodus was "the largest politically motivated migration from the United States since the United Empire Loyalists moved north to oppose the American Revolution.

As always you can Google up some facts. Too bad you have so few original thoughts of your own.

Estimates of the total number of American citizens who moved to Canada due to their opposition to the war range from 50,000 to 125,000[SUP][9][/SUP] This exodus was "the largest politically motivated migration from the United States since the United Empire Loyalists moved north to oppose the American Revolution.

(needs a new thread, illegal US immigration ) ! LOL

It was my original thought and knowledge. We Canadians do know that much.
Just thought I would prove it.

You couldn`t remember one of the more important rules of employment at UPS but you`re able to spit those numbers out of your head without an internet search at a moments notice?

Careful, you`ll put an eye out there Pinocchio.

klein

No, I did not know the numbers, and not even wiki knows the exact numbers.
But we had Americans flocken here, and that's just common knowledge !

It was my original thought and knowledge. We Canadians do know that much.
Just thought I would prove it.

Didn`t look it up....

No, I did not know the numbers, and not even wiki knows the exact numbers.
But we had Americans flocken here, and that's just common knowledge !

Looked it up.
In the space of 19 minutes you changed your story. Flip flop, flip flop.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
More people literally have "skin in the game". Not only would we stay out of protracted wars, we also would not be so quick and glib about getting into them in the first place. The Bush and Obama doctrines would die a rightful death and we wouldn't become embroiled in foreign wars unless and until there was a threat so imminent and obvious that politicians wouldn't even think about re-election in deciding whether or not to send 500,000 troops into harms way.
There's no historical evidence that having a draft reduces the likelihood of aggressive war. I understand the thought process but I think it's misguided, and if you really start thinking it through there are an awful lot of downsides to instituting a draft.

bbsam

Staff member
There's no historical evidence that having a draft reduces the likelihood of aggressive war. I understand the thought process but I think it's misguided, and if you really start thinking it through there are an awful lot of downsides to instituting a draft.
What are the downsides? Many nations, like Isreal have mandatory service. What downside do they face? Maybe mandatory service would be better than a draft? One thing is certain: Congress finds it far easier to send men and women into harm's way than they do asking the rest of us to sacrifice for the cause.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
What are the downsides? Many nations, like Isreal have mandatory service. What downside do they face? Maybe mandatory service would be better than a draft? One thing is certain: Congress finds it far easier to send men and women into harm's way than they do asking the rest of us to sacrifice for the cause.
Yes, other countries have mandatory service, but where is the evidence that simply having a draft/mandatory service acts as a deterrent to aggressive war? The biggest downside to compulsory service is the fact that it is compulsory: the government can force you to fight for them whether you want to or not. That's not good for the people and it's not good for the military as an institution.

bbsam

Staff member
Yes, other countries have mandatory service, but where is the evidence that simply having a draft/mandatory service acts as a deterrent to aggressive war? The biggest downside to compulsory service is the fact that it is compulsory: the government can force you to fight for them whether you want to or not. That's not good for the people and it's not good for the military as an institution.
I see your point to a certain degree. But in a representative government such as ours, "the governmant can force you to fight" but only so long as the populace remains with them. In the wars we are engaged in right now, the public is disconnected and the "bring 'em home" calls are cerebral at best. The general public shares no burden other than "how much is this costing?" Would we be in these aggressive wars today if George Bush had to convince the public that all of our sons and daughters needed to be sent to far off, dangerous lands to "defend freedom"? At the very least, there would have been far more in depth questioning and the ever-shifting rationale for war would have been scrutinized.