Airlines dissing the American Soldier for Excess Baggage

klein

Für Meno :)
The largest peace movement in US history was created during the Vietnam war.
Did that stop the goverment ?

Nope, the war went on for years, without any success.

klein

Für Meno :)
What ? It hurts to hear the truth ?

I simply posted army deserters entering Canada, and then came up with the google facts later to prove it.
If you don't like it, to bad !
That's the price to pay for living in a free country ! ;)

moreluck

golden ticket member
twin-babies.jpg

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I see your point to a certain degree. But in a representative government such as ours, "the government can force you to fight" but only so long as the populace remains with them. In the wars we are engaged in right now, the public is disconnected and the "bring 'em home" calls are cerebral at best. The general public shares no burden other than "how much is this costing?" Would we be in these aggressive wars today if George Bush had to convince the public that all of our sons and daughters needed to be sent to far off, dangerous lands to "defend freedom"? At the very least, there would have been far more in depth questioning and the ever-shifting rationale for war would have been scrutinized.
Once again, where is the evidence that mandatory service makes a country less likely to engage in agressive war? I understand the thought process, but it seems like wishful thinking to me. As has been pointed out we had a draft during Vietnam, which lasted for 10 years with 10X the casualty rates. I think one of the main reasons that much of the country seems disengaged from the current conflicts is precisely because the casualty rates are so low (from a historical standpoint), and instituting a draft wouldn't change that.
As far as our representative form of government acting as a deterrent, this has been quoted here before but I'll quote it again:
Göring: Why, of course, the people don't want war. Why would some poor slob on a farm want to risk his life in a war when the best that he can get out of it is to come back to his farm in one piece. Naturally, the common people don't want war; neither in Russia nor in England nor in America, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, it is the leaders of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy or a fascist dictatorship or a Parliament or a Communist dictatorship.
Gilbert: There is one difference. In a democracy, the people have some say in the matter through their elected representatives, and in the United States only Congress can declare wars.
Göring: Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism

What ? It hurts to hear the truth ?

I simply posted army deserters entering Canada, and then came up with the google facts later to prove it.
If you don't like it, to bad !
That's the price to pay for living in a free country ! ;)

Glad you`re finally admitting to your unoriginal plageristic thoughts that you post. Thats the first step. The next is to the employment office to get you something to keep you busy.

As for the price to pay if its what keeps you out then it`s a coupon worthy bargain.