Alito Hearings

wily_old_vet

IP-you are incorrect on one thing. All House seats are up for election (as they are every 2 years) but only 1/3 of Senate seats are up during the election cycle.

I

Information Please

wily_old_vet said:
IP-you are incorrect on one thing. All House seats are up for election (as they are every 2 years) but only 1/3 of Senate seats are up during the election cycle.
wily_old_vet,
In my state, a congressperson is in the House of Representatives, and every congressional seat is up for election. We don't refer to Senators as holding a congressional seat. You are correct in saying that the Congress is technically both the House and the Senate, and not all Senate seats are up for election. Sorry for the confusion.

moreluck,

No problem, I didn't see the humor in the subject.

wkmac

Information Please said:
wkmac,
I don't agree with your statement.....
That sounds defeatist to me.

Not defeatist but rather a realist. Cynical? Yes, but realist none the less!
:wink:

"Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide." John Adams, 1735-1826, Second President of the USA

"I know of know way of judging the future but by the past."
Patrick Henry, 1736-1799, American Orator, Patriot

"...democracies have ever been spectacles of turbulence and contention; have ever been found incompatible with personal security or the rights of property; and have in general been as short in their lives as they have been violent in their deaths."
James Madison, Essay #10, the Federalist Papers

Lastly http://www.lewrockwell.com/reese/reese66.html

I'll say it again, we've seen our zenith and until we turn back from the road we are on this will remain true. JMHO.

I

Information Please

wkmac,

Thanks for the article. I found it timely, especially:
" For us, that concept took centuries of thought and conflicts to mature. It began at Runnymede when some barons presented a British king with demands that became known as the Magna Carta. It placed limits on the king's powers and defined certain rights not only for the aristocracy but for the common folk, too. And the barons were there with their swords to make sure the king understood that it was not negotiable.

Ours is best summed up in the Declaration of Independence. All men are given unalienable rights by God. The sole purpose of government is to protect those rights. When a government instead abuses those rights, then the people have the right and the duty to overthrow it and create a new government."

I would suggest that the best way to overthrow is from within, and to start with the mid-term elections. That will be the start of a new direction, and hopefully end end of what you see as our slide away from greatness. It's not too late, IMHO; though this may be close to our last chance.

wkmac

tieguy said:
Information Please why not register so we know you are not Susan the stalker lurking out there.

Paranoid are we?
:lol:

IP,
You're fine however you choose to join the fray. Enjoying your comments and observations.

tieguy

Banned
Wkmac said:
Paranoid are we?

IP,
You're fine however you choose to join the fray. Enjoying your comments and observations.

Paranoid? No more like disgusted to the point of retching. I personally think the anonymous post option should be removed. Anyone signing up with Brown Caf is already anonymous. You can choose to share as much about yourself as you feel comfortable sharing. Therefore there is no need for the anonymous post.

IP Wkmac does not own the site. You are not OK . If you're going to post here then legitimize it by registering.

wkmac

Tie,
Why are you so hostile? You are 100% correct, I don't own the site but neither do you either. As far as I can tell all of IP's posts have been polite and civil and you and I both know Susie could never go that long.

The old Browncafe board allowed anonymous posts and in some similar format Cheryl is continuing the practice. IP or anyone else is completely free to post either way and as long as he/she is polite and civil then other than not doing as you would like to see, there ain't a problem.

I myself don't understand why someone wouldn't register but that's me and I'm not going to badger someone who doesn't. I wonder if IP's politics were more to your liking would you be so quick on this point?

If you don't like the format then convince Cheryl to change it. I have no problem with that if she does as the majority of these type sites do require registration to begin with. Some won't even let you see the threads without being registered. Out of curiosity when Susie wasn't around anymore I went out and she still lists for sending PM's too so unless you guys knowing something about her departure I don't, it looks to me like she is still capable of coming back anytime under the SusieDriver handle. Besides even under another name she'd want you to know it was her. That more than anything was the whole object of the sport for her anyway. At this point, love her or hate her, she's gone so let's move on and close that door behind us! JMO.

tieguy

Banned
Wkmac, I very nicely asked the person to register. I did not attack the poster or accuse them of anything. Therefore you really had no reason to jump in and accuse me of being paranoid did you?

wkmac

tieguy said:
Wkmac, I very nicely asked the person to register. I did not attack the poster or accuse them of anything. Therefore you really had no reason to jump in and accuse me of being paranoid did you?

Touchy! Take a look at post #27 again Tie because it looks exactly like this.

Paranoid are we?

Now at the time I was making a joke of the circumstances (the rolling smilley face) not an accusation based on fact just as I kidded you and OK about being lovers when you 2 started marking territory. I knew you two were far from that but it was to good to pass up. However, now because of your actions after the fact I will admit I am starting to wonder that deep inside you do harbor some paranoia.

She's gone Tie so stop worrying and no one is out to get you. I admire your fire and passion but geez, amp it down some. Your posts and points are very good when you do that and although you and I would have very different rules if we were made Gods for a day (no sac-relig meant or intended) I still respect what you believe and the opinion that you express. Ironically, much of what you say I use to believe wholeheartedly in but digging, reading and connecting the dots have changed all of that for me.

It has been said that "don't go digging because you might find what you don't want too!" After KAL 007 was shotdown and my friend Larrry McDonald was killed I can say that advice is very true. Have a good one!

BTW: It was Larry who first introduced me to Bastiat's "The Law" back in 1977'.

wkmac

tieguy said:
I would believe an adult beverage in Larrys honor should be appropriate anytime we discuss the subject.:thumbup1:

No, sweet ice tea! He totally abstained from any alcohol. I enjoy a cool adult beverage but I really love sweet ice tea too!:)

wkmac

OH BOY! Some of you will love this and I think it's funny also. IMO, it also proves my longstanding point that there is little difference at all between republicans and democrats. Their all 2 faced as hell!

I

Information Please

From the article:
The Harvard Crimson reports that, in 1984, the university severed ties with clubs like the Owl, citing a federal law championed by Kennedy.
Meanwhile, Kennedy admitted to Hiller that he himself probably couldnt pass Judiciary Committee muster.
Probably not . . . probably not, Kennedy said.

It should be noted that Kennedy is not being considered for a position on the Supreme Court; Alito is. It seems logical that an appointee to the highest court in the land would face tougher standards than an elected official. JMO.

tieguy

Banned
This means a senator who belongs to an organization that discriminates against women then has the right to try to discredit the nominee for the same reason? Pretty weak argument.

Why haven't you registered yet?

I

Information Please

This means a senator who belongs to an organization that discriminates against women then has the right to try to discredit the nominee for the same reason? Pretty weak argument.

I don't believe that the Senator used his affiliation with said organization on a job application; and once again, Alito is being considered for a lifetime position on the Supreme Court, not an elected position. Apples and oranges, if you will.

tieguy

Banned
Information Please said:
I don't believe that the Senator used his affiliation with said organization on a job application; and once again, Alito is being considered for a lifetime position on the Supreme Court, not an elected position. Apples and oranges, if you will.

again the senator belongs to an organization that discriminates against women. Yet he tried to paint alito as a bigot. pretty shady any way you shake it.

Why have you not registered on this site ? Why are you dodging the question of registering?

wkmac

Information Please said:

Sorry IP, we part company here. Your excuse here is so weak IMO. Had this been a republican Senator you're gonna tell me you'd sit quite and say nothing? Sorry, I just don't by it. I have no love for either party but what's worse than the act of these societal leaders is the hypocrisy of party loyalist who sit there and try and defend it. It is this kind of 2 face politicalism of the electorate that gives rise to my comments of America being in decline like Rome. Thanks for re-enforcing my argument and being a glowing example of American Political Hypocrisy!

Now I understand why so much was made of Trett Lott's comments on Strom Thurman but then not a peep about Sen. Robert Byrd who was at one time a Grand Wizard in the KKK. Personally I believe neither man should be up there in Washington. JMHO