All Accidents Are Avoidable

sambo

The UPS Defensive Driving program insists that you do everything reasonable to avoid an accident. Was it not reasonable for you to have noticed this dude was not slowing down? Did you approach the intersection, being prepared to stop, for knuckleheads like him? That is what avoidability is all about. It is not about fault - we know it was his fault - it is about Defensive Driving! It may save your life - and others - if you truly practice those methods! Do you understand now?

M

Mr. Union

Dont let the brown get sucked into you like management.(Full of xxxx).I have been in your shoes and as former steward seen many others.It wasn't your fault, you will get your job. my advice is to keep your mouth closed. Only talk to your BA and when it comes to hearings answer yes and no and no more (think about the answer before you say it).Don't take advice from safety people.(thebrown is in them too).These people have never sat in a hearing with some that has lost there job, if they had they wouldn't say crap like it was Avoidable. You could have avoided it if you would have called in sick. (everything is Avoidable).Relax you will be back before you know it!

D

Donkeyboy

Read this thread

Please help..freaking out..husband fired for accident
Hi,

My husband is a package driver and has been for 5 years, with the company for 8. Good record, not a troublemaker. Wednesday he was on a dirt road, had a blind spot by woods, pulled out, and was hit. he was ticketed for careless. very small accident. the person's fender was bent in and tire flat. the other driver refused a tow, pulled out the dent, changed the tire. When the supervisor (who hates everyone) got there he fired my husband on the spot. then in the meeting the next morning they said he was fired because he had a tier 3 accident......and all of a sudden the supervisor said that after everyone left the other driver needed a tow. we think he is lying and called the person to have it towed from his house just so he can fire my husband. i'm sure the Union can find out the truth right? anyway, all the union people are telling me not to worry, he will get his job back, this supervisor has been complained on over and over ( i don't think that matters) but I can't wrap my mind around "don't worry" there is a 95% chance we will get his job back.
at that particular center we know of 2 accidents much worse were the people were back driving the next day. the Union thinks they are trying to make an example of my husband just because of bad timing. Do you have any advise, words? does he have a good chance? the accident was SO MINOR and the people weren't even mad. i don't know where to turn or who to believe. HELP!

browniehound

A speeding maroon running an intersection and hitting me would not impact my insurance rates, would it? In these kind of accidents, the person speeding through the intersection is always found at fault. By the police, by the insurance company, by the attorneys. But not by UPS!! UPS will blame their own employee (Avoidable!) even when everyone else blames the speeding maroon. Just because they can. There is no other reason for it. They just want to stick it to the employee.

Don't you see how this fosters the "us versus them" mentality? Don't you think we could kill the competition if it wasn't for this one little thing? It's certainly not "the cost to serve" that hinders us, it's the "us versus them". The only time "The company does stand behind you" is to stab you in the back!

This is a great post Over. If the accident is our fault then we deserve to be lamb-basted for it. But, we are talking about accidents that UPS claims are avoidable but are clearly the other person's fault.
Why does UPS have to charge us, when the liabiblty is strictly on the other driver?

We just had a driver charged with a "hit while parked" accident. He was parked in the same spot he parks in while he delivers this office building. 1 person was trying to take a left into another parking lot and this other woman tried to go around her and hit our truck that was parked and ripped her mirror off and scracthed our truck.

Our driver was charged with an avoidible accident because he didn't have his hazard lights on. No, he wasn't double parked. He was in a parking spot. When you park your own vehicle, do you put your hazards on? I don't know anyone who does. If this were the proper thing to do everyone along the side of the road would have their hazards on. Can you imagine that? Every car parked blinking witrh hazards! Only in UPS's world.

Like Over said, this woman screwed up. She could have smashed into the rear of our truck and hurt our driver, but UPS wouldn't stand up for our guy, they would blame him while he lays in a hosptital bed recovering from life-threatening injuries because he didn't have his hazards on. Its as if the big- 1000 cubic foot truck is not visible enough? It needs flashing lights to be noticed as to not smash into it?
Good Grief!

This woman has the same license as our driver, why should our driver be held to a higher standard?

Donkeyboy

Read this thread Over the past 17 yrs. I have seen several avoidable tier 3 accidents. Most of the time the driver is "fired" for anywhere from 2 days to 2 weeks depending on severity. They use the word fired to send a message to the rest of the drivers. My guess is it will turn into a suspention. Tell your husband to keep in contact with union B.A.. Good luck!

Please help..freaking out..husband fired for accident
Hi,

My husband is a package driver and has been for 5 years, with the company for 8. Good record, not a troublemaker. Wednesday he was on a dirt road, had a blind spot by woods, pulled out, and was hit. he was ticketed for careless. very small accident. the person's fender was bent in and tire flat. the other driver refused a tow, pulled out the dent, changed the tire. When the supervisor (who hates everyone) got there he fired my husband on the spot. then in the meeting the next morning they said he was fired because he had a tier 3 accident......and all of a sudden the supervisor said that after everyone left the other driver needed a tow. we think he is lying and called the person to have it towed from his house just so he can fire my husband. i'm sure the Union can find out the truth right? anyway, all the union people are telling me not to worry, he will get his job back, this supervisor has been complained on over and over ( i don't think that matters) but I can't wrap my mind around "don't worry" there is a 95% chance we will get his job back.
at that particular center we know of 2 accidents much worse were the people were back driving the next day. the Union thinks they are trying to make an example of my husband just because of bad timing. Do you have any advise, words? does he have a good chance? the accident was SO MINOR and the people weren't even mad. i don't know where to turn or who to believe. HELP!

FromBluetoBrown

This woman has the same license as our driver, why should our driver be held to a higher standard?

I'm not a driver so feel free to flame me if you wish, but our driver is held to a higher standard because he gets paid to drive everyday. He sits through days of driver training and listens to hours and hours of safety training. He should be set to a higher standard. I'm just playing devils advocate here. But I agree I think its b/s that he was charged for an accident while he was sitting in a parking lot. I really disagree with the way management is willing to throw a driver under the bus as far as accidents go. Makes me almost scared to want to become a driver.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I'm not a driver so feel free to flame me if you wish, but our driver is held to a higher standard because he gets paid to drive everyday. He sits through days of driver training and listens to hours and hours of safety training. He should be set to a higher standard. I'm just playing devils advocate here. But I agree I think its b/s that he was charged for an accident while he was sitting in a parking lot. I really disagree with the way management is willing to throw a driver under the bus as far as accidents go. Makes me almost scared to want to become a driver.

True up to a point blue, but the problem is that todays drivers are so much more aggressive than they were years ago, also with towns and cities growing so much, but not improving the road systems, theres just so much more that can happen. Then throw in the fact that they want this certain sporh hit and what are some drivers going to do to try to get that carrot....drive faster and more carelessly. I believe its a situation that sometimes you cant win, either way you look at it. Ups I believe to a certain extent wants us to be safe, but there is always going to be that "gray" area where they will push production...no matter what, including being safe. Although I must say that the last couple of mgrs have really put safety in the forefront, and production has taken a back seat, which is refreshing for a change.

jds4lunch

What the hell is YOUPS??
I don't care what some stupid book says.

If some speeding maroon runs an intersection and hits you, YOUR COMPANY SHOULD STAND BEHIND YOU AND BACK YOU COMPLETELY!

It would cost them nothing to do this.

Instead UPS uses this "avoidable" garbage procedure just so they can needle their own employees. It's no wonder we have this HUGE "us versus them" mentality at UPS which greatly hinders our growth.

I agree 100%. I feel for the driver who had this accedent, b/c I had a similar accedent in my 2nd week at UPS, also involving a "speeding maroon". I was driving down a street in an area of the city commonly known as "the hood", when I approached an uncontrolled intersection. I checked left, right, left, saw no one and proceded through the intersection just in time to write-off a Dodge Durango which was probably travelling almost double the speed limit. Bottom line is it was classified as an avoidable accedent, and I was given an early vacation.

I have no idea why management would not stand behind thier employees when they are involved in an accedent that is not thier fault, instead of selling them out. I'll be the first to admit that if I had stopped at the intersection I would have avoided an accedent, but honestly how many of you out there would stop at an uncontrolled intersection when you have the right of way, and do not see anyone coming?

You management people out there can come back and post your "unavoiable" this and "unavoidable" that garbage, but at the end of the day we all know its Grade A bologne.

Bad Gas!

It's rare but I've seen avoidable accidents changed to avoidable after a few weeks.as a safty person I would push for this when I believed mgt was being unreasonable....I didn't always win but I fought for it and let em know what i thought about it by god!

JustTired

free at last.......
I agree 100%. I feel for the driver who had this accedent, b/c I had a similar accedent in my 2nd week at UPS, also involving a "speeding maroon". I was driving down a street in an area of the city commonly known as "the hood", when I approached an uncontrolled intersection. I checked left, right, left, saw no one and proceded through the intersection just in time to write-off a Dodge Durango which was probably travelling almost double the speed limit. Bottom line is it was classified as an avoidable accedent, and I was given an early vacation.

I have no idea why management would not stand behind their employees when they are involved in an accedent that is not thier fault, instead of selling them out. I'll be the first to admit that if I had stopped at the intersection I would have avoided an accedent, but honestly how many of you out there would stop at an uncontrolled intersection when you have the right of way, and do not see anyone coming?

You management people out there can come back and post your "unavoiable" this and "unavoidable" that garbage, but at the end of the day we all know its Grade A bologne.

So if you had the right of way and you had come to a complete stop, then got hit from behind......would that have gotten you an "avoidable" because you stopped when you didn't have to?

Seems to me that if you are not at fault as determined by the law and UPS deems it avoidable, wouldn't that open up the company for law suits by the injured party who was considered at fault by law?

"Ladies and gentleman of the jury....UPS has admitted that the accident was avoidable by charging their driver with an avoidable accident. Therefore, my client has a right to compensatory damages regardless of his culpability in the accident. The defense rests."

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Scratch-
May I suggest that all the PC drivers in your building bring their own paper towels and window cleaner and right after the PCM clean their windows and mirrors to promote "space and visibility" as well as safety?
If we are to be held accountable then we have the right to equipment that is safe.
great post trick, i wuz asked years ago by on road supe who saw me one afternoon doing my windows, told him to improve my 5 seeing habits HIS COMPANY TAUGHT ME told me to do it off clock absolutley not I said

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
To all union members on THE SAFTEY COMITTEE please go home this weekend and rent THE BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI maybe you should watch it 2 or 3 times,hopefully you will understand it and it will help!!!This should be shone at union meetings also,at least once a year! WE ARE NOT HELPING THOSE JAPS BUILD A DAMB BRIDGE, MADNESS MADNESS!!!!!!!!!!!

feeder53

ADKtrails
It is hard to see from the vantage point of the police or company on this issue, I have seen many accidents where the fault was placed on the one driver just because he "did not have control over his vehcle". Hopefully everyone will take a good look at what transpired and it could be a non-issue. Good Luck

jds4lunch

What the hell is YOUPS??
So if you had the right of way and you had come to a complete stop, then got hit from behind......would that have gotten you an "avoidable" because you stopped when you didn't have to?

You know I never thought of it that way before. Not only would UPS charge you with an avoidable accedent, you would also be charged with an at fault accedent.

Two weeks ago a co-worker of mine was heading down an alley after picking up at a dropbox, when someone came flying out of an exit to a parkade and hit him just infront of the back tire of his P300. Luckily the damages were minimal and the injuries, none. Guess who picked up an "avoidable". Like I said, Grade A bologne.

upserr1

This is an old article but I would guess it would be the drivers fault according to UPS. At our center I'm sure the center manager would have made some comment about what he or she could have done to prevent this from happening.
published online: 1/19/2010

Deputy strikes UPS truck

By JOHN MANGALONZO

An unmarked Des Moines County Sheriff's Office vehicle sustained thousands of dollars in damages after it struck a parked United Parcel Service delivery truck, Burlington Police officials said.

According to an accident report, the incident happened Jan. 5 at approximately 3 p.m. The deputy, identified as Matthew Breckon, was not injured, the report stated.

Authorities said Breckon told officers he was driving an unmarked 2007 Ford Explorer XLT north on Vogt Street when the accident occurred.

Breckon, a report indicated, told police he was using his in-car computer and did not noticed the UPS truck parked alongside the street until the last second.

The deputy swerved in an attempt to miss the delivery truck, but a panel of the Explorer still struck the left rear bumper of the UPS truck.

Police estimate the damage to the sheriff's office vehicle at $4,000 and listed $500 damage to the delivery truck.

No citations were issued.

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
"This is an old article but I would guess it would be the drivers fault according to UPS."

>>Did the driver follow the methods? Too many drivers confuse, "at fault" with "avoidable/unavoidable." If the methods were followed then an accident is unavoidable. If 1 method was violated then the accident MIGHT have been avoided...thus avoidable!!!

"At our center I'm sure the center manager would have made some comment about what he or she could have done to prevent this from happening"

>>Having an accident and not learning anything from it is about the definition of idiocy in my book. Raising the awarness of others about what might happen "out there" in an attempt to prevent the same thing from happening over and over again sounds like pretty solid management to me.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
Scratch-
May I suggest that all the PC drivers in your building bring their own paper towels and window cleaner and right after the PCM clean their windows and mirrors to promote "space and visibility" as well as safety?
If we are to be held accountable then we have the right to equipment that is safe.

I clean my windows and mirrors every day before I leave the building. Not with my own equipment though. I get some paper towels and window cleaner from the custodians cart. I would recomend all do the same. I guarantee if you have a backing crash and your mirrors are dirty you will get burned!!