Am I stupid for turning down a bid into feeders?

Man Of Brown

Got a call today. I signed a bid sheet for back up feeder spot. Ask a few questions but ended up saying no. Am I stupid? I know there's personal preferences on what's enjoyable and what's not. But I am starting to second guess my decision.

I'm less than a year into driving. Early 30's. Married with young kids. A little intimidated about driving a big rig. A little nervous about driving them on snowy roads (we have winter here). The job seems easy but a bit boring. Anyways. Opinions please.

moldsporh

Well, I personally think you made the right choice. Really depends on your bldg, the seniority, but on average, you won't get your summers off until about 20 years in and your kids will be all grown up by then.

Having less than a year in, you will be on the qualified list pretty much throughout your kids years in school. This means you are on call, mostly at night, ending Saturday morning, starting Sunday night....for at least 10 years on average at your seniority level..likely more.

However, if you were even contacted...that's a plus. maybe seniority is low in your bldg but I would go to the feeder office and look at the seniority list then make up your mind the next time around.

When I say summers off, that's pretty much June through the end of August, you won't likely ever get a week off. Think of your time with the kids, time with the family, and every night from around 6 or 7 PM, you will be working until about 7AM for the next 20 years.

There will be times when you cover day runs, but don't count on that all the time.

Check the seniority first, and remember.....as you progress, there will be lists posted and likely others with more seniority will keep entering feeders and you stay on the qualified list.

You will be out to dinner on a Sunday afternoon with the family and get a call asking for you to be at work in 2 hrs. This will happen with only 1 year in for many many years.

Is your wife prepared for this? She will be the one putting the kids to bed for the rest of their childhood.

It's a tough pill to swallow, personally, learn the methods, don't run, don't skip your lunch, and stay in delivery and grow with the kids.

Again, it's all based on seniority, be sure to check it out.

Overpaid Union Thug

Got a call today. I signed a bid sheet for back up feeder spot. Ask a few questions but ended up saying no. Am I stupid? I know there's personal preferences on what's enjoyable and what's not. But I am starting to second guess my decision.

I'm less than a year into driving. Early 30's. Married with young kids. A little intimidated about driving a big rig. A little nervous about driving them on snowy roads (we have winter here). The job seems easy but a bit boring. Anyways. Opinions please.

Good choice since you have a wife and young kids. The extra $20-$30k per year isn't worth it if you literally have to wait until the weekends to spend time with your family. Whats the point in having a wife and kids if you work and sleep through their lives?

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Personally, it was the best choice for me. Took me 9 years to get the call. I actually passed it up the first time as well, but had a change of heart and took the big step the next time it was offered. My body couldn't have taken 38 years with the company if it had been all PC. Having said that, I do have to use a cane to walk now, get a blue parkupclose placard, and an extra check every month. Maybe you can be an ironman and last your whole career bumpin off boxes. You could always take the feeder challenge next time if you have second thoughts. Good luck to you.

ReLooped

I'm utility...AGAIN!?
IMO weekends are overrated. if i want to take my kids somewhere fun like the cal. science ctr. on a saturday afternoon...1/2 of l.a. is there too. More time is spent fighting traffic and hunting down a parking space. i used to love weekends off until i had kids.
anyhow to the OP; no you're not stupid. feeder isnt for everyone. i happen to like sleepers.

Johney

You made the right choice if you have kids that you want to watch grow up.
I see my son more now since I've been in feeders than I ever did in package. I come home in the a.m. sleep and when I get up we have the whole afternoon to do things. NEVER had that in PC unless on vaca. He's 17 now,but when he was young I only got to see him in the a.m. before school, most of the time he was asleep when I got home. This fairy tale about feeders and young kids not mixing is B.S.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Many from package go into feeders. Most don't come back. The one's that do are like you with families to worry about. At least you will stay in better shape!