amazon will debunk UPS in the future

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG

moldsporh

Yeah right, that was tried before by DHL that's backed by a company twice the size of UPS and was an epic fail. UPS's infrastructure is colossal to say the least.

moldsporh

Who has posted the most in profits the past 5 yrs?
Amazon, or UPS?

Amazon can only go so far, after awhile their people will want raises and other benefits.....think of China. The profit UPS turns after paying for fuel, payroll, claims, and pretty much everything else should tell you something.

werenotthepostoffice

deep down inside I really do not care
i do hope Amazon starts their own distribution/delivery service so we can go back to our core business and quit dealing with the "my poo don't stink" Amazon crowd. I get more negative comments from customers that I frequently deliver Amazon packages to.

And I would LOVE for Amazon to explain to customers that "it IS our fault because of bad weather,equipment break down,too much volume. All of the the things us and FedEx experience that they quickly blame us for. Amazon having to face the reality of delivering packages on a daily basis would be great.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
You people can't seriously believe this stuff?

Amazon is one of the most expensive if not the most expensive stock ever when talking P/E ratios.

A lot of people will lose their ass on this stock sometime in the future.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I've been looking at the title of this thread for a while. I'm not sure the OP meant to use "debunk". Maybe "surpass".

UPS may be a lot of things, but it is not nonsense.

"When you debunk something you show it to be false. Many magicians, including Houdini and Penn and Teller, have worked to debunk the idea that magic is anything other than a very clever illusion.

To debunk something is to prove it wrong. The idea that music education is frivolous and should be the first item cut from the budget is something that music teachers word hard to debunk — in fact, they've done it by proving that students perform better in schools with strong music programs. The verb debunk was first used by an American writer, William Woodward, in 1923, to mean "take the bunk out of something." Bunk means "nonsense." "

Quoted from vocabulary.com.

Last edited:

opie

They have already been delivering some of their volume. Alot of my Amazon orders have been delivered by Amazon. They are expanding their delivery service, and recently introduced same day delivery in my area also.

35years

Gravy route
They have 1 hour delivery here. Built a multi-million dollar hub. Purchased many green package cars. They are about to start leasing (2016) and buying (2017) their own planes. Time to stop writing off the threat.

reginald95

they can try all they want. It took UPS decades to build the infrastructure to move their packages. It's not as simple as buying trucks/planes and opening up some hubs.

Returntosender

Scuba Steve

You people can't seriously believe this stuff?

Amazon is one of the most expensive if not the most expensive stock ever when talking P/E ratios.

A lot of people will lose their ass on this stock sometime in the future.

I agree. I dumped all my Amazon stock last week. It's a dumb move short term I feel. Long term a smart move. I bought the stock back in early 2006 and made a nice return. I believe it will go up a little more but it's one recession or correction away from a collapse. They will have some very large competition coming after them harder than ever. The infrastructure of this competition is already expanding with little media attention, plus they have a very substantial brick and mortar presence. This company has already experimented with UPS on same day delivery in limited markets 2 years ago. They also recently launched a service similar to Prime. This company is profitable where Amazon is not.

I typically long term hold my stocks. I've had UPS since the early 70's. It was great when the company was private. The stock never dropped and it seemed about every 4 years it would split. The IPO it split 2 for 1 the night before then went to the value it split at opening day. It's taken 15 years to get about $40 per share growth. I'm concerned short term with UPS because Amazon pulling away volume and Amazon's major competitor aligning with FDX.

Last edited:

Scuba Steve

they can try all they want. It took UPS decades to build the infrastructure to move their packages. It's not as simple as buying trucks/planes and opening up some hubs.

FDX did it much faster than UPS... I remember everybody saying FDX would never make it. Companies said the same about UPS....

What UPS has to worry about is when Fred is gone from FDX. The air and ground networks will be combined. It's already happening somewhat already. They will have the same advantage UPS has with premium express deliveries never touching a plane, maximizing profits. Doing this with contracted labor and contracted equipment. The labor and asset cost to FDX will be much less than UPS. They will be able to provide the same if not better service less than UPS.

moldsporh

Alot of Amazons profit is also from all their data centers....the ones that they like to keep a secret.

Large warehouse size buildings full of hard drives, battery backups, and a dozen large diesel generators outside.

Not sure who uses them but they apparently safeguard ALOT of data for companies....as well as for themselves.

Johney

It's not as simple as buying trucks/planes and opening up some hubs.
Why not? They have the cash to do it and the volume when it gets going.
Actually it is. It's not as though they will be transporting anything other than their own packages.
I agree. I just wonder if UPS and FedEx are paying attention and won't sign agreements with Amazon just in case it doesn't work out for them and they want FedEx and UPS to pick up where they left off.