AMAZON

542thruNthru

Medium-rare

giphy.gif

Whither

Scofflaw

It's true: my boss had me train with the company's 'best driver'. The second day he almost t-boned a snow plow in a subdivision. Was accelerating downhill on an icy street toward a t-intersection without any right-of-way signs. Houses blocking our view on both sides. Later, he was driving too fast around a bend and didn't see a couple kids sledding out of their driveway into the street just ahead ... I alerted him, he braked hard, and we almost careened off the road, giving the kids and their parents a real scare.

This guy still gives me trouble because I wore my seat belt riding with him, ha. I tell him: look, I drive safely and wear my belt on route, when riding with you the company should've issued me a helmet.

davidix

Amazon is setting up tents filled with boxes so people can go deliver in their own vehicle. Only a fool would work there. They are competing by screwing their employees and doing things the cheapest way possible.

davidix

They will be doing pickups now for other businesses.. they will make ups go out of business!.................
They cant even deliver their own packages how would they put ups out of business?

Buying little Van's is one thing. They have to buy more planes and pilots 1st. Amazon might put 600 planes in the air while ups is moving over 16000 in the same time period.

Whither

Scofflaw
Amazon is setting up tents filled with boxes so people can go deliver in their own vehicle. Only a fool would work there. They are competing by screwing their employees and doing things the cheapest way possible.

Not defending Amazon, but for the record: the majority of the packages at my station are delivered by 'DSP' employees -- the FedEx ground model. We don't drive our own cars. Recently my DSP changed payroll, an across-the-board dictate from Amazon. $15/hr, OT never less than $23.11 (sometimes it's $24 and change, unbelievably). Then bonuses for no mis-deliveries, rescues, and 'productivity'. My DSP pays $20 every time I'm tasked with rescuing another driver. Not a bad deal since we only have to take 20-25 stops. Pretty sure my contractor pockets a healthy chunk of the first bonus, because we get it on 2 conditions: the entire DSP must meet the weekly quota and you cannot have had a single mis-delivery that week. I haven't had a mis-delivery in 4 weeks but have only received a $50 bonus for 2 of those weeks.

After 60 days my DSP offers medical, dental, and vision benefits, for driver's families too. Ofc since no Teamsters we have to pay for them and the plans are mediocre, but I guess it beats nothing, ha ... the individual plans aren't too expensive. They pay my life insurance policy. We also begin accruing PTO after 60 days ... I think 2 weeks. My gross, including OT, averages about $17.50/hr. Again, mediocre, but at least I don't need to set aside 1/3 of that for destroying my own car. 30 minute lunches are mandatory (unpaid) and I get 2 paid 15s. I take my breaks, but most drivers donate an hour of their time to the company every shift.

And, just like FXG, Amazon has the power to both hire and fire us, e.g., the DSP that cuts our checks has no say. But the courts will scratch their heads and not find enough evidence to determine that Amazon is a co-employer, ha.

Staydryitsraining

Not defending Amazon, but for the record: the majority of the packages at my station are delivered by 'DSP' employees -- the FedEx ground model. We don't drive our own cars. Recently my DSP changed payroll, an across-the-board dictate from Amazon. $15/hr, OT never less than $23.11 (sometimes it's $24 and change, unbelievably). Then bonuses for no mis-deliveries, rescues, and 'productivity'. My DSP pays $20 every time I'm tasked with rescuing another driver. Not a bad deal since we only have to take 20-25 stops. Pretty sure my contractor pockets a healthy chunk of the first bonus, because we get it on 2 conditions: the entire DSP must meet the weekly quota and you cannot have had a single mis-delivery that week. I haven't had a mis-delivery in 4 weeks but have only received a $50 bonus for 2 of those weeks.

After 60 days my DSP offers medical, dental, and vision benefits, for driver's families too. Ofc since no Teamsters we have to pay for them and the plans are mediocre, but I guess it beats nothing, ha ... the individual plans aren't too expensive. They pay my life insurance policy. We also begin accruing PTO after 60 days ... I think 2 weeks. My gross, including OT, averages about $17.50/hr. Again, mediocre, but at least I don't need to set aside 1/3 of that for destroying my own car. 30 minute lunches are mandatory (unpaid) and I get 2 paid 15s. I take my breaks, but most drivers donate an hour of their time to the company every shift.

And, just like FXG, Amazon has the power to both hire and fire us, e.g., the DSP that cuts our checks has no say. But the courts will scratch their heads and not find enough evidence to determine that Amazon is a co-employer, ha.
The CEO is worth 100 billion dollars. He sets up the contractor scheme to keep more money in his pocket. Screw him, screw his company, they need to be unionized or go out of business.