Another Newbie Driver Helper question....

Brownnie

Hello everyone and Happy Holidays!

I recently signed up for the seasonal driver helper gig (went through the hiring/orientation process, applied near the end of November this year). The day after Thanksgiving I received my first call by the coordinator asking if I could start the next Monday, I said yes no problem. This person said to call back first thing Monday morning (yesterday) around 6-7 am. (coolio bring it on!). Like any good old sucka I was in standby the phone at 5:50am, no call came in at all. I said to myself ok no biggie and went about my business the rest of the day. By chance, my next door neighbor received a UPS package and I notice that particular driver already had a helper. Today Tuesday no call again.

A couple of questions. What should I expect? Is there a waiting in line that I'm in? I don't quite remember if they told us not to call the coordinator during orientation to double check but from what I've read is one of those things that is damned if you do or damned if you don't. I'm just trying to get a wider perspective of things. Any ideas or comments are welcome.

Thanks!

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

I recently signed up for the seasonal driver helper gig (went through the hiring/orientation process, applied near the end of November this year). The day after Thanksgiving I received my first call by the coordinator asking if I could start the next Monday, I said yes no problem. This person said to call back first thing Monday morning (yesterday) around 6-7 am. (coolio bring it on!). Like any good old sucka I was in standby the phone at 5:50am, no call came in at all. I said to myself ok no biggie and went about my business the rest of the day. By chance, my next door neighbor received a UPS package and I notice that particular driver already had a helper. Today Tuesday no call again.

A couple of questions. What should I expect? Is there a waiting in line that I'm in? I don't quite remember if they told us not to call the coordinator during orientation to double check but from what I've read is one of those things that is damned if you do or damned if you don't. I'm just trying to get a wider perspective of things. Any ideas or comments are welcome.

Thanks!

Call the coordinator and bug the crap out
of’em

Turdferguson

Just a turd
What else is needed to get there? :-) . During orientation the manager kept talking about being overwhelmed because of the amount of work they had this year.
They are only allowed to use so many no matter how much work they have, and it is not his call, but someone somewhere else who dictates how many people they get to use. First come first serve is how helpers are assigned

Brownnie

They are only allowed to use so many no matter how much work they have, and it is not his call, but someone somewhere else who dictates how many people they get to use. First come first serve is how helpers are assigned
Fair enough. It's just a little puzzling and threw me off that they called Friday for me to be ready on Monday. For those that are not used to this methodology it can get a bit confusing but by now I'm assuming they do it all of the time ???

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns

Thanks!
Why do you have so much free time?

Brownnie

I thought you might be between jobs because your last boss was screwing you over?
Not at all, I really just want to try something new, different.
But I'm used to the good old ways where someone tells you a time and a date and bam, one is there. Old-school maybe? :happy-very:

Last edited:

Brownnie

Just trying to get a full time job at UPS?
Not necessarily but if it happens, I welcome it with open arms. Also, I totally understand the whole concept of one must walk before flying.

I was just reading another thread and the OP wrote the following: "At the end of the day I feel a sense of accomplishment, a sense of being a hard worker for my money, and a sense of comradery."

I think something like this is what I'm after.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge

Thanks!
call them

Brownnie

call them
That's probably what I'll do in the end, I hate bothering people. I'm assuming this is one of the high peak weeks when it comes to deliveries but I'm sure "Turdferguson" is right about the whole: "They are only allowed to use so many no matter how much work they have".

I want to see some action. I've even contemplating working there from free ,but that's totally ilegal :laughing:

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
That's probably what I'll do in the end, I hate bothering people. I'm assuming this is one of the high peak weeks when it comes to deliveries but I'm sure "Turdferguson" is right about the whole: "They are only allowed to use so many no matter how much work they have".

I want to see some action. I've even contemplating working there from free ,but that's totally ilegal :laughing:
call and say can i speak with the driver coordinator