Another Newbie Driver Helper question....

Sweeper

Where’s the broom?
Thanks!
Since there is no uniform (vest only) . I'm not too sure about the pants. Are cargo ok?
That’s fine. Don’t wear your Sunday’s best. Something comfortable that gives you freeedom of movement. Most of my helpers have worn jeans or cargos in the past. Make sure you have good footwear. If your wearing boots be sure they are broken in. I’d recommend bringing a pair of walking shoes/sneakers, in a back pack if you are planning on boots. Wear multiple light layers, shed layers if it’s warm, add layers if it’s cool, again back pack. Be sure to pack a lunch, snacks and some drinks. Be safe, look before you step!!!

3 points of contact entering and exiting the vehicle. Look left right and left again when crossing. Never cross behind the truck. If a motorist waves you on, wave them on and wait, you and they don't know what all other motorists are thinking (which usually isn't stop for crossing UPS drivers).

Kick some ass, sea bass.

Brownnie

Thanks much for all of the advices!... The Day went great but I'll admit it, I'm extremely sore (mostly around my knees). I don't want to be a slowpoke for my driver tomorrow if I'm called back.

Much ,much ,much respect to all drivers and delivery workers out there!

Brownnie

Quick question. Why do some drivers get to keep the driver helpers longer during the day than others?. I ask because my driver usually wants me to stay longer but the boss says no, while in the meantime other drivers do even if their car is empty. What's the dealio?

Last edited:

Bob11B

I have a few questions/concerns and am hoping some of the veteran guys can help. I went to driver school in May and started RTD driving a few weeks ago. I have been with UPS just over a year.

Many days I have shuttled packages to a storage unit or drivers and understand I get shuttle pay for that ($ 13.50). On one of my checks I got shuttle/air pay for Saturday BUT I also ran ground. Shouldn't I get full RTD pay ($24.22), since I delivered ground in addition to air? Also, I have delivered to apartment complexes, out of a Budget Rental but by myself and felt I should receive full pay instead of shuttle pay. Seems like they are trying to pull a fast one on me. I have also delivered to post offices and felt since I had a DIAD and scanned all the packages and was by myself then I should receive 24.22 instead of the $13.50 shuttle pay.

I looked at my timecard and noticed it did in fact say package car driver yet I am being payed as a shuttle driver. Has anyone else had issues and how did it work out for you? I should make full-time in about 6 months and don't want to piss off my supervisors but also want to be paid correctly.

Any responses with some guidance or similar experiences will be greatly appreciated.

Rack em

Made the Podium
I have a few questions/concerns and am hoping some of the veteran guys can help. I went to driver school in May and started RTD driving a few weeks ago. I have been with UPS just over a year.

Many days I have shuttled packages to a storage unit or drivers and understand I get shuttle pay for that ($ 13.50). On one of my checks I got shuttle/air pay for Saturday BUT I also ran ground. Shouldn't I get full RTD pay ($24.22), since I delivered ground in addition to air? Also, I have delivered to apartment complexes, out of a Budget Rental but by myself and felt I should receive full pay instead of shuttle pay. Seems like they are trying to pull a fast one on me. I have also delivered to post offices and felt since I had a DIAD and scanned all the packages and was by myself then I should receive 24.22 instead of the $13.50 shuttle pay.

I looked at my timecard and noticed it did in fact say package car driver yet I am being payed as a shuttle driver. Has anyone else had issues and how did it work out for you? I should make full-time in about 6 months and don't want to piss off my supervisors but also want to be paid correctly.

Any responses with some guidance or similar experiences will be greatly appreciated.
If you deliver ground as a utility driver then you should get ground pay, not air shuttle pay. Obviously Ups isn't going to offer to pay you the correct rate so you need to talk to your supervisor and have them do a payroll adjustment. Make sure you have a steward with you!

Papa-D

Similar the OP, I had orientation this past Monday. On Tuesday, I did as instructed and confirmed my availability in the system and did a follow and introduction call to the coordinator center after not being contacted in a couple of hours.

Long story short they came up with 3 locations that were not possible, each time I said I am right off a major road that many of the trucks use to get to their route and will gladly hop on anyone going anywhere, therefore I’m not limited to a specific geographical area. They said they’d call back when they find something, just keep checking off my availability each morning.

I’ll now have coasted through the entire week never stepping in a truck. While there are many slackers out there who would be delighted to sit at home all day and get paid for it, that is not my way.

I plan to call again Monday and see what is going on. If they can’t hook up a route, can I ask to be transferred to the hub? My other half works the evening sort there which is what I initially applied for but they were full. Now she’s working later and harder because people are quitting left and right while I sit.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Similar the OP, I had orientation this past Monday. On Tuesday, I did as instructed and confirmed my availability in the system and did a follow and introduction call to the coordinator center after not being contacted in a couple of hours.

Long story short they came up with 3 locations that were not possible, each time I said I am right off a major road that many of the trucks use to get to their route and will gladly hop on anyone going anywhere, therefore I’m not limited to a specific geographical area. They said they’d call back when they find something, just keep checking off my availability each morning.

I’ll now have coasted through the entire week never stepping in a truck. While there are many slackers out there who would be delighted to sit at home all day and get paid for it, that is not my way.

I plan to call again Monday and see what is going on. If they can’t hook up a route, can I ask to be transferred to the hub? My other half works the evening sort there which is what I initially applied for but they were full. Now she’s working later and harder because people are quoting left and right while I sit.

@Future, are you going to allow this blatant misuse of your avatar?