Another Nut With A Gun Goes On A Rampage

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Man, are you serious? Its called "CIVIL LIABILITY". You said it in your own post "they being legal citizens, have every right to own firearms privately"

If a police officer uses his own "personally obtained" firearm in a crime, and he's off duty, then ANY victim would be unable to "SUE" the agency who employed him.

If he uses a Agency issued, or city issued weapon, and he is off the clock and commitd a crime, he has possibly placed the agency, city and maybe county at financial risk....

I have 4 sheriffs deputies and a State Trooper that live on my route.

All of them drive home in their patrol cars when their shift is over. And all of them are issued shotguns or rifles in addition to their service handguns. This is the norm for most sheriffs and state troopers nationwide; it is only in urban areas that the police report for duty at a headquarters with a locker room. The officers on my route remove the shotguns and rifles out of the trunk of the patrol car when they get home and secure them in a county-issued gun safe in their house.

As far as the county being somehow "liable" for the off-duty actions of one of its officers who uses a county-issued weapon during the comission of a crime....that is complete hogwash. The bottom line is that anyone can file a lawsuit for anything, but that doesnt mean they will prevail in a court of law. I would be interested to hear about any actual, real world incidents where a police agency was successfully sued due to the weapon involved being county issue vs. privately owned.

Cops have a stressful job, and I am all for providing more counseling or mental-health resources for them when needed. But the idea that leaving their duty weapons behind when they go home will somehow reduce the liability of the agency that issued them is fiction, not legal fact.

klein

Für Meno :)
That's one thing I notiiced when visiting the USA, cops take their patrol cars with them home.
I have never seen that in Germany or Canada. Just not allowed, just as little as you take the UPS truck home after work.

I believe they must hand over their guns at the end of the shift, too, just like you hand over the diads.

Work is work, private life is private life. That's how it normally is.

That's one thing I notiiced when visiting the USA, cops take their patrol cars with them home.
I have never seen that in Germany or Canada. Just not allowed, just as little as you take the UPS truck home after work.

I believe they must hand over their guns at the end of the shift, too, just like you hand over the diads.

Nope, as Sober said they come home loaded to the gills with good old American firepower. It`s removed and responsibly stored and then returned to the vehicle at the beginning of their shift. They back out of their driveway and are on the clock. A sweet bonus as I mentioned above is that a neighborhood with various forms of law enforcement vehicles in the driveway is a very quiet neighborhood.

moreluck

golden ticket member

Not all cops in all cities have a "take home" policy for their patrol cars. It varies from city to city.

Lue C Fur

Evil member
Nope, as Sober said they come home loaded to the gills with good old American firepower. It`s removed and responsibly stored and then returned to the vehicle at the beginning of their shift. They back out of their driveway and are on the clock. A sweet bonus as I mentioned above is that a neighborhood with various forms of law enforcement vehicles in the driveway is a very quiet neighborhood.

We have one cop in our neighborhood that takes his car home and we like the added security it brings.

klein

We have one cop in our neighborhood that takes his car home and we like the added security it brings.

Your tax payers money at "work" .
While that car is parked there unused, they need a 2nd or even 3rd vehicle for the other shifts.
Maybe no wonder some of your cities, counties, and states are cutting police jobs ?

over9five

Staff member
HERE, our town cops leave the patrol car at work. Almost all State Troopers take the car home with them, kinda hard to share cars if you routinely work 10 or more hours a day.

While that car is parked there unused, they need a 2nd or even 3rd vehicle for the other shifts.
Maybe no wonder some of your cities, counties, and states are cutting police jobs ?

Boy, it`s amazing, your ability to figure out what someone or some place thousands of miles away is , was ,needs to do just by something you read. And no matter what is, was ,needs to be done it`s always the opposite of what your natural genius thinks it should be.

You probably want to sell hotdogs because Americans would sell hamburgers.

Lue C Fur

Evil member
I have no problem at all with paying taxes for that. Just have more police presence helps deter crime which saves more more tax dollars.
Hey Genius...they have to have other cop cars, not just one...jeesh.
Not mine...we just bought 2 new cop cars and hired a few more cops...tax dollars hard at work.

Keep hating on America...we know your just jealous.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

It has more to to with geography than anything else. The county I live in is over 2000 square miles and at any given time there are only 2 or 3 deputies on patrol. The sheriffs office is 25 miles away, so instead of having these guys commute long distances in order to "pick up" a patrol car it makes more sense for them to be "on duty" the moment they step out of their garage. Bear in mind that, in an emergency, they are "on call" even while off duty so their response time is a lot faster if they already have their patrol cars and weapons with them. One of the deputies on my route is also a member of the SWAT team; so in addition to his normal patrol weapons he has a helmet, body armor, a sniper rifle and an AR-15 that go home with him every night.

One more thing, Klien; I can gurantee you that in the remote areas of Canada, your law enforcement people take their cars and guns home at night also.

klein

So, genius you Lucy, if you bought your own cab, and worked 12 hrs per day , and decided to hire a person to do the other 12 hrs remaining, you would buy him his own cab, too, huh ?

The private sector works a little different then the public sector, if you haven't noticed !!!!

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll

EXACTLY. ( now heres a guy who gets it)

Peace.