Another View of Newt Gingrich

klein

Für Meno :)
Even the poorest of the poor pay the GST, right?

We do have GST rebate cheques for those that earn less, but to get a rebate you must also file income taxes.
A young child with a flyer route ofcourse won't file taxes.

Those GST rebate cheques are anywhere from $36-$105 per every 3months (not much at all).
The lowest income would receive $105 every 3 months (earning less the $14K per year). If you earn $20K per year, it's $95 every 3 months, and I think at $33K it's cut off - you don't get nothing returned, unless you have a family status, then the income is adjusted.

But, even a poor granny can pay easily much more in GST then she receives back.
As for example - family is helping out, giving her dollars, esspecially now at xmas time - and she buys stuff with it... She definitly paid more taxes in GST then according to her income. Or even if she has savings and buying things for her children/grandchildren - then again, she is paying more GST as her income would normally allow.

We do have GST rebate cheques for those that earn less, but to get a rebate you must also file income taxes.
A young child with a flyer route ofcourse won't file taxes.

Those GST rebate cheques are anywhere from $36-$105 per every 3months (not much at all).
The lowest income would receive $105 every 3 months (earning less the $14K per year). If you earn $20K per year, it's $95 every 3 months, and I think at $33K it's cut off - you don't get nothing returned, unless you have a family status, then the income is adjusted.

But, even a poor granny can pay easily much more in GST then she receives back.
As for example - family is helping out, giving her dollars, esspecially now at xmas time - and she buys stuff with it... She definitly paid more taxes in GST then according to her income. Or even if she has savings and buying things for her children/grandchildren - then again, she is paying more GST as her income would normally allow.
To cut to the chase, your country taxes the poor as well. Isn't that something you have been condemning the US for doing or suggesting ?

klein

Our GST was totally created differently, then Cain't 9-9-9 plan for example. Canada used to have an 13.5% manufacturing tax on all it's goods manufactured in Canada. Meaning that GM or Ford comming off the assembly line in Ontario would be hit with an 13.5% tax, and then go into the show room.

Now, since the 13.5% manufacturing tax is gone, that same car goes into the show room tax-free, but a 5% GST applies at time of purchase.

Canada needed to get away from that 13.5% manu tax to compete globally or even with the US.

The poor being taxed more, I doubt, and if they did get the short side of the stick of it, the rebate cheques make it up.

Cain's 999 plan lowers income taxes for the rich, and it most cases raises them on the very poor, and if that's not enough, the poor would also pay an additional 9% sales tax.

Canada's GST had nothing to do with income taxes, nor corperate taxes, being reduced or raised. A whole different ball-game.
(implemented 1991 - Jan 1st, btw... 21st anniversary comming up).

Last edited:

moreluck

golden ticket member
Our GST was totally created differently, then Cain't 9-9-9 plan for example. Canada used to have an 13.5% manufacturing tax on all it's goods manufactured in Canada. Meaning that GM or Ford comming off the assembly line in Ontario would be hit with an 13.5% tax, and then go into the show room.

Now, since the 13.5% manufacturing tax is gone, that same car goes into the show room tax-free, but a 5% GST applies at time of purchase.

Canada needed to get away from that 13.5% manu tax to compete globally or even with the US.

The poor being taxed more, I doubt, and if they did get the short side of the stick of it, the rebate cheques make it up.

Cain's 999 plan lowers income taxes for the rich, and it most cases raises them on the very poor, and if that's not enough, the poor would also pay an additional 9% sales tax.

Canada's GST had nothing to do with income taxes, nor corperate taxes, being reduced or raised. A whole different ball-game.
47% of people in America pay NO taxes !!

yadda yadda yadda, you still tax the poorest of poor. sure ya give a little back,,,I'm sure that makes a difference in their lives.

klein

yadda yadda yadda, you still tax the poorest of poor. sure ya give a little back,,,I'm sure that makes a difference in their lives.

And where do you think the poor people are better off ? In Canada/Australia/Europe or in the USA?
It's a no-brainer !

Oh yeah, and unlike Cain's Plan, there is no tax on basic food here (milk, bread, canned soups/stews,pasta,rice, meats,veggies, fruit, etc)...

Last edited:

moreluck

golden ticket member
Not once Cain's 9-9-9 plan shows up.
I want to see everyone participate in running America, even if it's $10 a year. It's a matter of pride and working together..

Oh, and Cain would have to be the candidate and then he would have to get elected before 9-9-9 is even talked about.
You act like it's a fait de compli .

bbsam

Staff member
I want to see everyone participate in running America, even if it's $10 a year. It's a matter of pride and working together..

Oh, and Cain would have to be the candidate and then he would have to get elected before 9-9-9 is even talked about.
You act like it's a fait de compli .
I'd say it's already been talked about. And I'd like answer to this. All that money that comes out of peoples pay checks--does that money not go to "running America"? Last I saw, it was quite a bit more than $10 a year. Time for the pride of Wall Street to step up and work with Main Street.

And where do you think the poor people are better off ? In Canada/Australia/Europe or in the USA?
It's a no-brainer !

Oh yeah, and unlike Cain's Plan, there is no tax on basic food here (milk, bread, canned soups/stews,pasta,rice, meats,veggies, fruit, etc)...
You're splitting hairs....the fact is, you have been raising hell because the taxes on the poor in the US might rise, yet your own government puts tax burdens on the poor and you are fine with that. That is pretty much the definition of hypocrisy.

I'd say it's already been talked about. And I'd like answer to this. All that money that comes out of peoples pay checks--does that money not go to "running America"? Last I saw, it was quite a bit more than $10 a year. Time for the pride of Wall Street to step up and work with Main Street.
Do the people that receive welfare checks pay income tax? How about unemployment insurance checks or SSI disability payments ? I don't know, but I would bet they do not. I do know that when I was on worker comp I payed no taxes on that money nor the MMIR money.

texan

Had to look it up.
Definition of fait de compli is an accomplished fact; a thing already done. The enemy's defeat was a fait accompli long before the formal surrender.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Do the people that receive welfare checks pay income tax? How about unemployment insurance checks or SSI disability payments ? I don't know, but I would bet they do not. I do know that when I was on worker comp I payed no taxes on that money nor the MMIR money.

I'm nost sure about welfare payments (they no longer issue checksx--the funds are EFT'd to a EBT card) but I do know that the first $2,400 of unemployment checks are not taxed. A 1099 is issued for income tax purposes.

I'm nost sure about welfare payments (they no longer issue checksx--the funds are EFT'd to a EBT card) but I do know that the first $2,400 of unemployment checks are not taxed. A 1099 is issued for income tax purposes.
Thanks, I sure didn't know that. I suppose after the first 2.4k they tax on the same schedule as someone earning that same amount.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Thanks, I sure didn't know that. I suppose after the first 2.4k they tax on the same schedule as someone earning that same amount.

You can elect to have the tax withheld each week. The amount you receive is included in your gross income and is taxed as though they had actually earned the money (editorial comment).

Turns out the 2.4K was for 2009 only.