Any drivers here deliver in worst neighborhoods in america??

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I remember when Ted Gradolf was promoted as our District C/S Mgr in Nor Calif ( 1985)--he said that there were areas in his old district (St.Louis, Mo ?) where it was so bad that we would not even take a pakage car into!!

I drove in the Pacoima ( So Calif) area in the projects and ran my butt off and was always surprised that my truck was still there when I got back to it. I remember back in the 70's when we used to carry cash and it was mandatory to stop at the closest store when you had >$100 and get a Money Order!! I than worked for UPS in No. Calif and at times had >$10,000 cash and was out till 9:00 p.m.delivering and never had to worry about anybody bothering me. Best thing UPS ever did was to get away from our drivers carrying "CASH"!!!

I see your point in one way, but actually I felt better about getting robbed when I had 4 grand to give them,Instead of the 4 bucks I usually carry, maybe they'll be happy and let me live.

I dont carry on route, but they used to just kill each other, now they are shooting anything in their way. Im a little uneasy lately. I really want to go to work and not worry I may not go home. I avoid all sketchy looking deliveries, after 230/300, so I run em early, then my businesses suffer. But no way I am going in there after dark. And no back door delivering I dont care what their freaking signs say. but I get tired of explaining why this or that didnt get delivered and why. Because my sups didnt even hear of this or many of the other problems there. They didnt even know we were rated #9 in the nation. And then when drugs come up missing and they know it was on my truck one day, and not the next, Im not real hard to find, and Im the only girl, so not hard at all to spot. I had one addressed to a vacant house, and I saw people sitting on their porches which was odd, it was 30 degrees that day and 10am, they arent usually even up. So I call it in, and they tell me the shipper # doesnt exist, to bring it in probaly credit card fraud. So I take it in and its drugs. Now they want their pkg redel to another address the next day, and I dont have it. But I dont yet know why, I should have it. And no one told me. So a few days later, same thing, different street. Although I didnt have to take it back or call it in, because when I came down off the porch I was blocked in by a car in back and a LEXUS, with gold trim, and big fancy wheels in front and the "gentleman" said, that b mine. I handed it to him and said Merry Christmas and Happy new Yr" see ya, acting like I wasnt terrified. And they drove away. I told the sup about it and he asked me if I got a sig. DUH. Well did you want me to ask for ID too??????
It wasnt bad before they changed the routes because of the new improved standards. Now I have 85% more trash area than I used to. Sorry for the rant! I want a new route!!

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
We get to rebid routes every two years by seniority. Tooner, if I was you, I would rebid or bid on anything else that came open.

satellitedriver

I see your point in one way, but actually I felt better about getting robbed when I had 4 grand to give them,Instead of the 4 bucks I usually carry, maybe they'll be happy and let me live.

I dont carry on route, but they used to just kill each other, now they are shooting anything in their way. Im a little uneasy lately. I really want to go to work and not worry I may not go home. I avoid all sketchy looking deliveries, after 230/300, so I run em early, then my businesses suffer. But no way I am going in there after dark. And no back door delivering I dont care what their freaking signs say. but I get tired of explaining why this or that didnt get delivered and why. Because my sups didnt even hear of this or many of the other problems there. They didnt even know we were rated #9 in the nation. And then when drugs come up missing and they know it was on my truck one day, and not the next, Im not real hard to find, and Im the only girl, so not hard at all to spot. I had one addressed to a vacant house, and I saw people sitting on their porches which was odd, it was 30 degrees that day and 10am, they arent usually even up. So I call it in, and they tell me the shipper # doesnt exist, to bring it in probaly credit card fraud. So I take it in and its drugs. Now they want their pkg redel to another address the next day, and I dont have it. But I dont yet know why, I should have it. And no one told me. So a few days later, same thing, different street. Although I didnt have to take it back or call it in, because when I came down off the porch I was blocked in by a car in back and a LEXUS, with gold trim, and big fancy wheels in front and the "gentleman" said, that b mine. I handed it to him and said Merry Christmas and Happy new Yr" see ya, acting like I wasnt terrified. And they drove away. I told the sup about it and he asked me if I got a sig. DUH. Well did you want me to ask for ID too??????
It wasnt bad before they changed the routes because of the new improved standards. Now I have 85% more trash area than I used to. Sorry for the rant! I want a new route!!
As I said before, do what ever you need to do to be safe. If that means not delivering a package then don't do it. Ask a sup to ride with you and if they will not, write the package up as an emergency conditon.
About 10 years ago a driver in Texas was forced at gun point to drive to a farm where he was shot in the head. All over a pair of tennis shoes. I am sure his widow and two year old son would rather have him with them, than make sure he made the delivery.
These situations are very common. I have had guns pointed at me and been surrounded by drugged out drunks. NOTHING is more important than your safety. Learn defensive fighting. You can use almost any object as a defensive/offensive weapon. The most important is your brain. Do not put yourself in situation that you can not get out of safely.
My wife would rather have me working as a WalMart greeter, than just a plot to put flowers on. Self defense is a great defense in court.

BCFan

Amen to that!!! Did some ELD's in atlanta for a couple of years went into some questionable hoods but watched my attitude and never had any problems.. But I always mind my own business I am not paid to be a policeman I dont ask no questions!!! BC

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
As I said before, do what ever you need to do to be safe. If that means not delivering a package then don't do it. Ask a sup to ride with you and if they will not, write the package up as an emergency conditon.
About 10 years ago a driver in Texas was forced at gun point to drive to a farm where he was shot in the head. All over a pair of tennis shoes. I am sure his widow and two year old son would rather have him with them, than make sure he made the delivery.
These situations are very common. I have had guns pointed at me and been surrounded by drugged out drunks. NOTHING is more important than your safety. Learn defensive fighting. You can use almost any object as a defensive/offensive weapon. The most important is your brain. Do not put yourself in situation that you can not get out of safely.
My wife would rather have me working as a WalMart greeter, than just a plot to put flowers on. Self defense is a great defense in court.

Thats what I do, I just deliver anymore.
While I know alot of the stuff is drugs, I just deliver it. Im just a dumb truck driver anyway.
Yesterday I watched a mail lady get jumped on and knocked over. by a rot, and the owners just stood at the door, afraid to come out and get their own dog. I yelled at the dog and got it away from her long enough for her to get to her truck. I dont know if she actually got bit or not, she just left. Today there were sups on her route. And no mail lady. I am always watching, that 8 second mirror thing, I do out of fear.
Its just a job and while I love the money, I have to agree, that those who love me would rather I be alive, than making money. It would be nice to continue to do both.
I could defend myself better than most, but I prefer to avoid it at all cost.
A package is not that important if it is questionable.
I always treat everyone respectable, and I think it sometimes throws them off long enough for me to flee. Then sometimes it suprises me how nice they can be. I try not to stereotype, as there are some really nice people who live there. And you can tell. A simple, God Bless my home plaque at the front door, makes a ramshackle house feel Ok, or a hanging planter, just small things you can look for to see a sense of civility in that home.
Im glad we have this place to vent, coz I sure dont want to burden my family, Id rather burden you!! HA Thanks for the input.

satellitedriver

Thats what I do, I just deliver anymore.
While I know alot of the stuff is drugs, I just deliver it. Im just a dumb truck driver anyway.
Yesterday I watched a mail lady get jumped on and knocked over. by a rot, and the owners just stood at the door, afraid to come out and get their own dog. I yelled at the dog and got it away from her long enough for her to get to her truck. I dont know if she actually got bit or not, she just left. Today there were sups on her route. And no mail lady. I am always watching, that 8 second mirror thing, I do out of fear.
Its just a job and while I love the money, I have to agree, that those who love me would rather I be alive, than making money. It would be nice to continue to do both.
I could defend myself better than most, but I prefer to avoid it at all cost.
A package is not that important if it is questionable.
I always treat everyone respectable, and I think it sometimes throws them off long enough for me to flee. Then sometimes it suprises me how nice they can be. I try not to stereotype, as there are some really nice people who live there. And you can tell. A simple, God Bless my home plaque at the front door, makes a ramshackle house feel Ok, or a hanging planter, just small things you can look for to see a sense of civility in that home.
Im glad we have this place to vent, coz I sure dont want to burden my family, Id rather burden you!! HA Thanks for the input.
Vent away.
I have broad shoulders that can take the burden.
Yes, most people are good, honest working folk trying to get by the best they know how. The only thing that saved me one time when was I was circled by about 12 "friend, uped" bangers being poked in the chest asking me "where do you think you are going? One of them recognized me and said" He's cool,he delivers my Aunties medicine." The next night the same group castrated a 18 year boy for being on their turf.
So. as I said before. Do whatever it takes to come home safe.
PAX,
Sat

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Vent away.
I have broad shoulders that can take the burden.
Yes, most people are good, honest working folk trying to get by the best they know how. The only thing that saved me one time when was I was circled by about 12 "friend, uped" bangers being poked in the chest asking me "where do you think you are going? One of them recognized me and said" He's cool,he delivers my Aunties medicine." The next night the same group castrated a 18 year boy for being on their turf.
So. as I said before. Do whatever it takes to come home safe.
PAX,
Sat
Isnt that odd, savages who have no respect for human life, do .. when its about them or their families?
I have a few in my favor just because I do treat them nice. Until I have a reason not to, I treat them as a friend. I try to use what charm I have left in my favor. I think after a while too, you become part of the scenery, Ive been there for about 6 yrs and am probaly at less risk than a swing driver as I know where Im going all the time. I think after they get used to seeing you every day, they just dont care to bother with you. Im hoping anyway.
But for next week Im just playing Grandma to my two little grandsons, who I have never got to have all to myself, and they will be sooooooooo spoiled when they get home. And Im so excited!!! I pick them up tomorrow night at the airport. We have a Cabelas nearby, and I know they will enjoy the displays, and I will be in heaven for the next week no matter what we do! And I wont even think about next week till next week!!
Thanks Cya tooner

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Friday at noon, one of the drivers on the E side got confronted by a man with a gun, to get a pkg, that was NI1 thursday. Didnt make the news, tho. Sup went and rode with him the rest of the day. He didnt get a plate #. The guy at the house called in a complaint because he didnt get his pkg. I didnt get any more from the guy than that, just glad hes OK.

Old International

Now driving a Sterling
Hell, I delivered a little place called Red Oak. It was so bad, that if I let the PC out of my sight, the locals would pick the cab clean, and steal the tires.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Hell, I delivered a little place called Red Oak. It was so bad, that if I let the PC out of my sight, the locals would pick the cab clean, and steal the tires.

Anyone here ever see an older "Cops" episode where the police leave the "broken-down" semi in front of the projects that is supposedly filled with stereos etc? Anyway, there's a partition and a camera and a couple of cops on the other side of the partition. It's very revealing how the locals act and how long it takes them to break into the trailer, and how many people they catch. I'm guessing the same thing would happen in most of the bad neighborhoods. I used to have to pass through Oakland early every morning on the way to and from the OAK facility and had several guns pointed in my direction. No hijack attempt...just screwing with me. I would just keep driving and do my best to get away from them. Not a great place.