Any EAM Drivers out there?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
A couple of months ago I bid on and won an Early AM Next Day Air route. I didn't receive any kind of training on this, and I was wondering what exactly is Corporate Policy on an item. I start at 6:30 AM along with six other "senior" drivers. By 8 AM, we are supposed to make a delivery attempt, and aren't supposed to return to the building to start our regular route with a 8:40 start time until a second attempt is made. Is it like this everywhere?

Sometimes I will have a retail address that I know won't open till 9 or 10, so whats the point of going back the second time? Sometimes I will have a Signature or money order only COD for a residential address where its apparent the first time that no one is home. I think that we should be required to make one attempt and bring it back to the building for the regular route driver to try again. My EAM area usually will have 4 to 8 stops in three to four cities and I might drive anywhere from 20 to 40 miles. It gets tough sometimes, but usually I get them off.

The good part of this job is that with a 6:30 start time, I hit overtime at 3:30 and anything past 5PM is over nine-five. In my Center they don't like us going over nine-five, so about two hours of work was pulled off my regular area. Its an easier job, get off work earlier, but I have a hard time making myself go to bed sooner at night.:cool:

wily_old_vet

Scratch_one problem with bringing pkg back and giving to regular route driver is that the pkg would show as late in the second drivers diad which creates headaches.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Wily,
While that is true, the regular driver isn't going to be charged with a late air on the report the next day because the tracking number is already in the system as a NI1 and NI2. The few times I bring one back, I will hand it to a Preload Supervisor or leave it in the driver's seat, because these aren't in the PAS/EDD system. We get a printout in the morning when I first walk in the door, so we know exactly which stops are coming in before the EAM driver gets back from the airport. Sometimes we get surprised because the EAM ASDs don't show up on this report, or one of the airplanes land too late. We try to divide the stops up equally the best we can, normally I get back to the building by 8:00 AM and go on break for 30 minutes, waiting for the preload to go down.

upsdude

Our EAM drivers make one attempt and bring it back to the building. The regular driver will make the second attempt. We then text the center with the number of EAM packages delivered after 8:30. No harm no foul.