Any end to these long hours??

K

kidlogic

I worked 59 hours this week and was paid under 4 out of 5 days. I got home after Leno's monolog one day this week. (1200pm). Any help comming or is this the way thing are going to be for a while

O

over9five

Help is already here! Read your contract, brother. You can file a grievance against continued over 9.5 dispatch. You can put a written request in one day in advance for a 8 hour only day twice a month. The company agreed to this, but its up to us to take advantage of it!

J

ja7618

kid what is under 4 out of 5 days? I don't get that. I haven't been out that late since Xmas and that was yrs. ago.

U

upslocal480

Part/timers want more hours while full/timers are complaining about too many hours. Hmmmm.

B

browndude

under 4 out of 5 means he scratched his route 4 of the 5 days and actually could have worked longer those days and met the time allowance

U

upsdude

"Part/timers want more hours while full/timers are complaining about too many hours. Hmmmm."

Part Timers in my building dont want to work! Well, I take that back, they will work a couple of days but never on Friday or Monday. Wait a minute, you mean ground packages? No, they just want a few air stops. The company has been using FT drivers on Saturday (Air) for the last 2 months. I guess the P/T folks are just too busy to work the hours they went on strike for.

K

kidlogic

We had 2 supervisors delivering all week. I dont think me putting a piece of paper in front of them asking for a shorter day is going to mean alot. I guess they could put on another supervisor.

T

toonertoo

Those 8 hr requests are wonderful things ha...ha....hah!!!!!. Last one I had was 11.5. Yes I could have dropped the load at 8hrs, after notifying them I would not get done in 8, then some poor supervisor would have had to do it, or it would have been there waiting for me the next day. And I pity kidlogic for getting in during Jay Leno, I dont want to be there......I thought never seeing the 9 oclock movie til it was half over was bad. I dont think it will end anytime soon. Dont forget you get two whole option days a YEAR also...that is if you can get them approved. All the old timers keep telling me to hang in there, it will get better, but its been bad so long, I doubt it will get decent again. And most of them are retired, and so very glad they are.

L

local804

Wow That really does suck.The massive overtime comes and it goes.Its like everything else at UPS, one big cycle.Tooner, You only get 2 OPH days off?????Here, up North East we are given 6 sick days and 5 Oph`s.If you have a requestload, and there is something to do family orientated, I do fell bad for you.I try to keep the family comes first theory and talk to the suits about the request loads.Your kids are only gonna be young for a little while so you have to enjoy it while you can.BTW Kidlogic, what time do you start to be punching out so late?What ever happened to 9/5? I guess its 12/5 for you.

O

over9five

"I dont think me putting a piece of paper in front of them asking for a shorter day is going to mean alot."

Then you've answered your own question. There'll be no end of these long hours for you.

P

parttimejon

how about these parttimers who seem to be getting 20 hours a week get some of those hours you all don't want. i just don't understand if the work is there for us to do why we cant get some hours out of it also.

T

toonertoo

Here in the NE region we get 2 OP days, and no sick time off. I like yours a whole lot better LOCAL 804!!!
I did put family first, when they were at home, I stayed part-time til then. And it gave me the ability for the most part to always attend important "kid" functions, and I am very thankful for that. That is where the part time function with UPS gets high marks from me. Now when I see some of the younger drivers with small children, I feel for them as they do miss alot of family time, but at least we still get weekends off.

S

sweatyguy

ARTICLE 22. PART-TIME EMPLOYEES
Section 3.
This commitment shall include the obligation to create at least ten thousand (10,000) new full-time jobs from existing part-time jobs during the life of this Agreement throughout its operations covered by this Agreement; two thousand five hundred (2,500) jobs during each year beginning in the third year of this Agreement.

I don't see any releif until the third year of the contract at least...makes me tired just thinking about it...

K

kidlogic

Over9five the stewart laughed when someone brought up the "i dont want to work over 9/5 more then 3 days in a week." Meaning get used to it because it isnt gonna change. Our start time is a dreadful 9:10 am

F

fups

Dang.... 9:10... gonna be some late airs,,, thats what i say....8:45 here.. needs to be 8:30...

speaking of... i don't think i've ever worked a 8 hr day....oh well, just money ain't it?

L

local804

Toonertoo,
I am in the NE region also and I find it hard to believe that you only get paid 2 days for the year.The NE region I live in is NY. Kidlogic,you might want to look in your contract book to article 37 section 1. It helps with the relief of overtime for a couple of days a week.If you dont use the contract to your advantage, what good is it even having one.

T

toonertoo

Local 804 I am in NE Ohio, maybe it is considered Midwest. I am positive that is all we get, and all we have ever got in 19 yrs that I have been there. Almost got off at 630pm til I had to go help someone who was going to be out til 10pm. Most of the time I dont care, I dont bother planning for anything during the week, and it looks real good on Friday. It just makes no sense, I used to dispatch (when I was a pt sup 11 yrs ago) and it isnt all that hard once you know what you are doing. Someone gets buried one day, you fix it the next. They keep dispatching the same way, day after day. And the only ones held accountable are the drivers. Not the loaders for missed stop counts, not the preload sups who mostly put together the dispatch, and not the people who continually call off. Missed pick ups used to be a big thing, now its Oh well. thats why all the smaller shippers who gave us a little breather have disappeared, its just easier to call FED EX when they need a pick up. I dont know much, I know I can take it, I just dont really want to day after day week after week. but I stay so I can only blame myself. Because I really do like doing what I do, just a little less would be nice.

U

upsdude

Our start time was moved from 8:35 to 8:30 a couple of weeks ago. We still dont get out until 9:00-9:05. Yesterday (Monday) my left building time was 9:14. The pre-load is absolutely horrible, call outs, poor supervision etc. A pre-load with 1 manager, 2 friend/T Sups, and several P/T sups should do better. My recommendation? Hiring students is ok, but how about hiring folks that need a part time job to feed their family or pay the mortgage. My father owned a gas station, he hired folks that NEEDED a job and passed on the folks that wanted a job. That policy worked very well for 20 years.

J

ja7618

upsdude are you in my center that sounds just like us. I don't understand why how FedX can be out delivering while I am driving to work in the mornings at 8:00 am. Scares me a bit to think they are that much ahead of us.

U

upslocal480

Here part-timers are denied extra hours even if other shifts are understaffed. I believe we have a legitimate beef here. I asked if I could double shift when ever possible but was denied. Our preload lost a guy the past couple of weeks and I asked if I could fill in until someone was hired but of course I was denied. They only want us "on call" even though they are understaffed. Now the preloaders...that's a different story. They won't help us at all when we are short on people. On a good week we get 18 hours which is VERY VERY rare. Only other option is Saturday Air and I laugh when current full timers question why we dont do it while most of them probably never did so themselves. The ones I know that did quit it after a few months.