Any feeder drivers that are also in the military reserves?

HFolb23

Wondering if any feeder drivers on here are also in the reserves.

Im in the Army National Guard and might have a chance to go to feeders; just curious how it works for the shifts before drill. All the feeder routes in my building are overnights, does UPS expect me to work all night and then go straight into drill? Or will I have to use a day to take the day before off? I know there’s a law that says I’m “on duty” from 12am on the morning I have drill until 11:59pm the last day of drill weekends. Given a typical Saturday/Sunday drill weekend, would this mean UPS wouldn’t be able to work me past midnight? I’m sure that’ll go over well for management.

Im sure things vary from local to local and state to state just curious how it’s worked for anyone else that might be in this situation.

MisplacedRailWorker

an absolute *ing disgrace of a human being.

Im in the Army National Guard and might have a chance to go to feeders; just curious how it works for the shifts before drill. All the feeder routes in my building are overnights, does UPS expect me to work all night and then go straight into drill? Or will I have to use a day to take the day before off? I know there’s a law that says I’m “on duty” from 12am on the morning I have drill until 11:59pm the last day of drill weekends. Given a typical Saturday/Sunday drill weekend, would this mean UPS wouldn’t be able to work me past midnight? I’m sure that’ll go over well for management.

Im sure things vary from local to local and state to state just curious how it’s worked for anyone else that might be in this situation.
Marine Corps Reserve here; joined after UPS but your rights do NOT vary from state to state. You have FEDERAL rights and protections that are non-negotiables no matter the employer.

Your only responsibility is to give them your drill schedule and that’s it. How soon after you receive it and when your first drill of the year, or conflicting drill weekend occurs, is also a gray area. The exact language is “reasonable” notice. More info here:

What does vary from local to local is additional protections and benefits from the Union, which exceed the existing federal requirements. Talk to your shop steward ASAP.

HFolb23

Thank you for the advice everyone.

I’m a FT RPCD now and have been in the guard since before I started UPS, they’ve never given me any issue about it before but also obviously wasn’t working overnights either. I know UPS can’t deny me the position because of it, and I’m going to bid anyways, was just curious how they normally handled the shift before you have to go into drill.

Overpaid Union Thug

Talk to the USERRA rep on your base. If there is one.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Thank you for the advice everyone.

I’m a FT RPCD now and have been in the guard since before I started UPS, they’ve never given me any issue about it before but also obviously wasn’t working overnights either. I know UPS can’t deny me the position because of it, and I’m going to bid anyways, was just curious how they normally handled the shift before you have to go into drill.
They will probably either give you the night off or just let you work local til you have to punch out.

MisplacedRailWorker

an absolute *ing disgrace of a human being.
My experience at other employers was being allotted a bank of Unpaid Time Off that I could apply at my own discretion. So far I haven't had a problem taking off an entire Friday or Monday for travel time and rest. Probably due to the fact that the time was NOT paid for. No further documentation or LES ever requested from me; HR gave the impression they would rather you not bother them with unnecessary paperwork and have fun with your "weekend warrior stuff". Just a big thank you for boosting their numbers/giving the company a leg up in April for claiming you on their taxes lol.

What MOS if I may ask?

ManInBrown

We have members of the military in feeders. I don’t know the specifics of how it works but when they are off serving they are listed on the schedule off to the side where drivers on disability Are listed. It says military with drivers names. They can’t make you work and do the reserves on the same day. You’ll probably just be scheduled off.

HFolb23

We have members of the military in feeders. I don’t know the specifics of how it works but when they are off serving they are listed on the schedule off to the side where drivers on disability Are listed. It says military with drivers names. They can’t make you work and do the reserves on the same day. You’ll probably just be scheduled off.

Thank you, anytime I’ve been on orders away from package my time card has just said military leave so I figured that feeders had something similar lined up.

DriverNerd

When I was in the hub we had a combo that I worked with that was in guards. We worked 5 pm - 2 am. He either worked half the day, or had the day off before. It was his choice, they never made it an issue. If you're in feeders, have fun shifting on that day or doing crappy short runs.