Any Methods you think don't apply to you?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You’ve done probably one or two routes your entire UPS career , you have as much area knowledge as a new hire. Just cause you know one route doesn’t make you master of knowledge on every route. Your a ROOKIE!

Its been awhile since I was a casual but I think I knew 12-15 routes before getting my first FT bid route.

Indecisi0n

Why is it that even the new package cars don't have the automatic backing alert, factory installed like so many other modern delivery vehicles???

I'll agree that on a straight back, tapping the horn is not a huge hindrance....

....but while your turning the steering wheel, checking your mirrors and monitor, on a driver's side quarter back, in a residential driveway???

"The Methods" are designed to shift the liability to the bonded, insured driver....more that to keep us or the general public safe.

It's always about the money.
I alway refused to do that one. I'll keep before I start the back and if at one point I am straight backing but if it's all turn then I simply don't hit the horn again until I am finished.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My pkg car was backed in to while I was making a pickup at our local UPS Store. I had beeped the horn when I pulled in, beeped the horn before starting my back and beeped my horn until I was square to the door. There was construction in the area and one of the workers admitted that the he didn't bother to look before he backed up. His boss told mine that I had done all that I could to make the workers aware that I was there. Took my center manager less than 5 minutes to deem it unavoidable.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
My pkg car was backed in to while I was making a pickup at our local UPS Store. I had beeped the horn when I pulled in, beeped the horn before starting my back and beeped my horn until I was square to the door. There was construction in the area and one of the workers admitted that the he didn't bother to look before he backed up. His boss told mine that I had done all that I could to make the workers aware that I was there. Took my center manager less than 5 minutes to deem it unavoidable.
Was that before or after you walked in front of a moving car and were hit while jaywalking?

Just trying to put together a timeline for your biography.
I'm going to title it "Living In a BOG".
The biggest hurdle will be convincing people that it's not fiction.

MrBates

and walking behind the package car to deliver across the street, don’t do either.

I'm not too fond of this method either, but if that's what they want so be it. Those extra seconds add up each stop to my overtime pay anyway.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I'm not too fond of this method either, but if that's what they want so be it. Those extra seconds add up each stop to my overtime pay anyway.

This method has been modified to let us use the drivers side door if it is safe to do so for small packages.

I can recall years ago our DM was on the car with me. He would stand just outside the passengers door forcing us to walk around back.

trickpony1

This method has been modified to let us use the drivers side door if it is safe to do so for small packages.

I can recall years ago our DM was on the car with me. He would stand just outside the passengers door forcing us to walk around back.

That's smart...suddenly appear from your PC from the driver's door INTO a lane of traffic and get hit by someone not paying attention.

If you've got any balls, your DM isn't forcing you to do anything.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
The only one I don't like is the handrail exiting the car to be honest. Sure, I understand why we're supposed to grab it, but I honestly feel like I'll damage my shoulder faster than I would my knees by holding onto it too long by accident.
I've seen a driver rip the bicep off the bone while exiting the vehicle.

It was icy. He slipped but held onto the handrail.