Any New Firings/Layoffs/News?

vantexan

Meanwhile, here the company has told us that ground contractors will be bought out at 15% over the value of their route and offered ft employment and retain their seniority, if they decide to move to Express. Their employees, meanwhile will not be offered guaranteed employment but can apply to Express as a new employee, losing any seniority they accrued working at ground.

At the same time, ground contractors are telling their employees they will simply move over to Express and keep doing what they have been doing, while keeping their seniority and route.

One side is being lied to (or very well could be both sides being lied to.). Though, I tend to believe contractors are lying to their employees as I have also been told any contractor that remains until the merger is complete will receive a bonus, so they probably are telling their guys whatever it takes to keep them from running for the door.
Telling employees whatever it takes to keep them working has been the FedEx operating procedure for decades now. Much more likely now with the huge changes taking place.

BoxDriver

The funny thing about this merge is FedEx thinks express drivers are going to go to ground if merged. That’s not happening , Express won’t work for ground
While you’re most likely right that senior topped out Express drivers won’t work for Ground, I’d say there’s probably a few newer Express drivers that would give Ground a try. That’s all Express will really need after the merge, and who know for how long. It’s a win win for Express. They get the high cost employees to leave and keep a small handful of low cost ones, until they don’t need them anymore either.

FedupExpress

No higher seniority Express driver would go to ground. It would most likely be the newer express drivers, who's salary would closely match a ground drivers salary and would still be young enough to where a hard days work would not bother them. A 55 year old, 30 year express driver and a job working at ground would not be a great match for either side.
There's some young guys who just arrived from ground not too long ago (1-2 years). I know for a fact they would not return.

I would imagine the only ones who might jump at the opportunity are the ones with newborns.

I'm turning 37 this year, there's no way in hell I'd take a job at ground.

bacha29

There's some young guys who just arrived from ground not too long ago (1-2 years). I know for a fact they would not return.

I would imagine the only ones who might jump at the opportunity are the ones with newborns.

I'm turning 37 this year, there's no way in hell I'd take a job at ground.
The job is a joint killer plain and simple.

bacha29

While you’re most likely right that senior topped out Express drivers won’t work for Ground, I’d say there’s probably a few newer Express drivers that would give Ground a try. That’s all Express will really need after the merge, and who know for how long. It’s a win win for Express. They get the high cost employees to leave and keep a small handful of low cost ones, until they don’t need them anymore either.
Don't rule out the possibility that the remaining Express drivers aren't even part timers. They'll be on call . When a piece of hot freight is incoming they'll be called to pick it up and do final mile type transit.
And in the end they too will be contractors. They'll have 3 or 4 contractors standing by at key points who they begin calling around to see which one is available to go pickup that shipment.
And don't rule out that some might be Ground contractors doing it as a side gig.

Gone fishin

We had this discussion among express drivers at our station. No one at any age would go to ground for a couple reasons.
One , why waste more of your time messing with an uncertain fedex future. Fedex has become a horribly run company.
Two , why go to being underpaid at express , too even more underpaid at Ground with twice the work.
Everyone is looking for somewhere permanent at this point. That’s our opinion at least. Some might think different

fdxsux

We had this discussion among express drivers at our station. No one at any age would go to ground for a couple reasons.
One , why waste more of your time messing with an uncertain fedex future. Fedex has become a horribly run company.
Two , why go to being underpaid at express , too even more underpaid at Ground with twice the work.
Everyone is looking for somewhere permanent at this point. That’s our opinion at least. Some might think different
None of the Express drivers at my station will be working for Ground. One of the contractors offered us a job when we get laid off. He said he’d give us $140/day instead of $130/day because we have experience!🤣

MAKAVELI

black-guy-hiding-behind-tree-meme-template-u4bd4.jpg

https://www.reddit.com/r/Fedexers/comments/15nmleb

bacha29

None of the Express drivers at my station will be working for Ground. One of the contractors offered us a job when we get laid off. He said he’d give us $140/day instead of $130/day because we have experience!🤣
And what you'll make the first day you're there will be what you'll make the last day you're there as evidenced by the posted wage offer. Same as what was offered a decade ago.

bacha29

Based on posted comments it would appear that many ordinary FDX employees are surprised to see how determined corporate is to systematically strip the entire network down to barely functional levels while believing that it can continue to entice if not blackmail contractors into placing even more borrowed money at risk in exchange for treasury bill level returns.