Any Orlando comments on Mike Eskew's visit?

hoser

Industrial Slob
He can't do that -- apparently he needs a tent and some palm trees where ever he goes...
Well, he is, the boss after all.

I'm dismayed UPS doesn't have AC for their drivers, if FX can justify it in some parts of freakin Canada of all places, where it hits 90F for 1-2 weeks of the year and everyone screams bloody murder, how can UPS not justify it in Florida?

Who would love to see Mikey in the unload??? Or have him load a package car and then count the misloads...
The Canadian CEO of FedEx Express did that for the CBC, a courier from Nova Scotia became CEO for a week, and the CEO did the am sort (where he let 3 boxes that should have gone for customs inspections go), did a delivery run (where he kept setting the alarm off; it was one of those keyless prox-card trucks), did traces (where he didn't know what to do or say after he got hung up on, he just stared at the phone in dismay), and worked the counter (which worked out quite well for him, but he had no clue regarding what paperwork was required under FX regulations to export childrens clothes made of 80% cotton and 20% silk to Jamacia). Then the courier who became CEO thought he would just play golf all day and have people suck up to him, but he got way less sleep, had to make sophistocated presentations to investors, got phonecalls from one of Fred's right hand men wanting to know the numbers almost hourly (the first few calls were overwhelming, to say the least), and even had one of the VP's ask him to move into a nicer, newly vacated office, which he allowed, only that the VPs were upset and the real CEO ended up reversing his decision. Not only did watching this boost our morale, seeing the CEO go on the front line, and on TV, it gives us a lot more confidence that those higher up know what we face, and it was nice to see those at the bottom realize that those people do in fact work, and do earn their salary and bonsuses for good performance.

Now if only Eskew showed this much humbility and leadership.. He'd see what we face, but nothing would change, all the problems with this job hinge on the hyper-productivity employees face, and that's never gonna change, unless you're willing to take a 20% pay cut.

Last edited:

LKLND3380

Now if only Eskew showed this much humbility and leadership.. He'd see what we face, but nothing would change, all the problems with this job hinge on the hyper-productivity employees face, and that's never gonna change, unless you're willing to take a 20% pay cut.

A pay cut??? Do you think you could take someone off the street and say I will give you $10.00 to load this package car front to back & bottom to top - BULKED OUT they would do it? Well they do when you figure how much a preloader makes per car they load...:confused:1

Now subtract 20% as you mention and I think you would have many walking off...

It's funny how many seasonal people leave during break or go to the restroom before break and ESCAPE!!! Crazy that they throw a new hire with noe experience on the belt and expect them to load four cars and keep up... You would think they would buddy up the person and let them gain some knowledge/experience...

It takes about two weeks to learn the personality of a route... Maybe a just over a week if the person is really good...

hoser

Industrial Slob
A pay cut??? Do you think you could take someone off the street and say I will give you $10.00 to load this package car front to back & bottom to top - BULKED OUT they would do it? Well they do when you figure how much a preloader makes per car they load...:confused:1

Now subtract 20% as you mention and I think you would have many walking off...

It's funny how many seasonal people leave during break or go to the restroom before break and ESCAPE!!! Crazy that they throw a new hire with noe experience on the belt and expect them to load four cars and keep up... You would think they would buddy up the person and let them gain some knowledge/experience...

It takes about two weeks to learn the personality of a route... Maybe a just over a week if the person is really good...
My point exactly....

UPS drivers make so much because they work so hard. There's no way a cut in productivity is gonna happen, again, unless drivers don't mind a pay cut.