Any other PVDs having issues with the phones?

Hahaha. There’s that wonderful UPS hospitality I was talking about. I’ve never met a group of grown men who whine as much and are as sensitive as y’all are.

Sticks and stones will break my bones but PVDs will always trigger keyboard warrior RPCDs…

Imagine letting yourself get butthurt by a guy clear on the other side of the country asking a question about how to do his job better.

In their defense, though, if I drove around in a brown truck for a living an only had an internet forum to look forward to in the evenings, I guess I’d be a little grouchy too.

I have been lurking

Tired hubrat
All these scabs
1636776501424.gif

Brownsocks

Just a dog
Hahaha. There’s that wonderful UPS hospitality I was talking about. I’ve never met a group of grown men who whine as much and are as sensitive as y’all are.

Sticks and stones will break my bones but PVDs will always trigger keyboard warrior RPCDs…

Imagine letting yourself get butthurt by a guy clear on the other side of the country asking a question about how to do his job better.

In their defense, though, if I drove around in a brown truck for a living an only had an internet forum to look forward to in the evenings, I guess I’d be a little grouchy too.
I hope you enjoy you last peak season destroying your own vehicle just to make my day easier. Big changes coming next year

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Not sure if there has been a thread made about this or not. I worked as a PVD last year and I'm doing it again. Last year I could get the app on my own phone but the entire app is a glitchy piece of :censored2:. This year I'm using their phones and the issues are even worse. It takes me at least an extra 1-5 minutes per stop due to the app being slow, freezing, camera blurring, not scanning, etc. Today the navigation wouldn't work at all and I had to manually input the addresses I couldn't find into my personal phone to navigate. It also logged me out and wouldn't log me back in until I drove half an hour back to the center costing me over an hour of time. It was not uncommon for this to happen last year, I would guess about 20-30% of my work time was dealing app related issues instead of delivering packages. I had hopes that the app would be fixed as it naturally should have been by now, but it's worse.

Is there anyone knowledgeable of the app or are there any fellow PVDs who can give me some pointers or information of how to mitigate these issues? Or at least let me know it's not just me or the phones at my center? Also can I not use my own device this year? My center said they don't think so. Overall I'm not surprised the app is trash, it probably is poorly integrated into their old school logistics system and basically thrown together when they created the PVD position.
Beat it @Barney

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Hey there!

First and foremost - ignore the rude and ignorant comments that will inevitably be made by some of the guys on this forum. I learned the hard way myself that these guys don't take kindly to PVDs. Not our fault though. Maybe if they'd do their job better they wouldn't need PVDs.

I worked as a PVD last year and am returning this year as well. I am 100% in the same boat as you when it comes to app issues. Last year I spent a significant amount of time dealing with issues related to the app. I tried using the phones that they provided but they were even worse. I had all of the same problems that you're describing.

This year, the app so far is only available on Androids. I called the support number on their site about it and they were clueless. My boss said that he heard the app would be available for iPhones on November 17 or 18 but I'd take that with a grain of salt. So far this year I've been using the DIADs that the regular drivers use and have been forced to manually enter in addresses that I'm unfamiliar with as well until I get the route memorized. Pretty tough considering 75% of my route is in areas with no cell service. I had to download offline maps from Google Maps.

If I remember correctly from last year, the app always logged me out any time I went somewhere without cell service. I'm not sure if this is applicable to you or not but the app actually works without internet. What worked for me was switching my phone into airplane mode before I logged in or before entering areas of spotty coverage. Of course you lose the turn by turn navigation functionality but the map should should still be available.

Worst case scenario I would end up taking pictures of the shipping labels on my phone and would scan them all in on a DIAD from the pictures once I got back to the center if I really couldn't get the app to cooperate.

Hopefully UPS will release the iPhone app and some of these issues will mitigate themselves as the app seemed to work significantly better on my own personal device. In the meantime though, know it's not your fault and it's not just you. Don't stress over it. The slower the app goes the more you get paid, and we're being paid to put up with it.
If ups wanted your app to work right don’t you think they would have worked the bugs out first?
Truth is nobody cares about PVDs

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Dude the last thing I'd want in this world is to be a RPCD. I get to sleep in until 10 and whip around in my car thumping rap while I deliver. The boss had me drop a few extra packages that came in late from the center with an RPCD and he just about beat me up because they were out of his way. He glanced at the label and I believe his exact words were "You've gotta be absolutely g0d damn :censored2:ing kidding me". Y'all seem mad stressed I just wanna work a little seasonal gig and jerk around after that.

I’ll translate
I still live in moms basement and she took my weed allowance away plus I need a new game for my play station

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
That's the way it always starts. Soon enough you will be out until 10PM while a sup wants to know what takes you so long. Had 1 PVD quit today while 2 didn't show up and another dropped off his undelivered packages when he thought it was Miller time. Time to pick up the slack.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
You mean, maybe if we'd do our job cheaper.

The quality of my work has no bearing on the use of PVDs. I do it much better and much more efficiently than you. You cost half as much as me, that's why you exist.

Scab.
Maybe if we’d do our job better will without a doubt be the dumbest comment I read for sometime on the Internet. That says a lot.

reginald95

Just deal with the slow phones. You get paid by the hour. We got new Diad 6 in our hub and they are slow pieces of crap. Of UPS wants to pay me an extra half hour every day with this "new" technology then I will happily oblige.

BlackFriday

Please remove my account. This forum sucks.
I'm using one of the android devices (Samsung) and it is garbage. Crashes and /or hangs 4-10 times a day. It almost always forgets the last stop completed when it wakes back up or after I have to reboot it.
I don't care that im, "being paid by the hour" I want to work fast and be efficient and these smartphones are garbage. Yesterday I was done around 5. I punched out and shut the phone off. I get a call 2 hours later and the woman at the center says my phone is still logging on. She said I shut it off too soon after punching out.
The training I got from UPS to do this PVD thing was nearly zero. The communication from my supervisor is even worse. I was never told how to do pickups or how to handle ANY other delivery/pickup situation. I can't be nearly as efficient as I want to be with this buggy phone and with terrible communication from the supervisor. Other than those things I'm really liking the job. The day flies by. I guess my final complaint is that I only get about 7 hours a day. I'd like at least 10. It's only gonna last 8 weeks so I want as many hours as I can get.

I'm using one of the android devices (Samsung) and it is garbage. Crashes and /or hangs 4-10 times a day. It almost always forgets the last stop completed when it wakes back up or after I have to reboot it.
I don't care that im, "being paid by the hour" I want to work fast and be efficient and these smartphones are garbage. Yesterday I was done around 5. I punched out and shut the phone off. I get a call 2 hours later and the woman at the center says my phone is still logging on. She said I shut it off too soon after punching out.
The training I got from UPS to do this PVD thing was nearly zero. The communication from my supervisor is even worse. I was never told how to do pickups or how to handle ANY other delivery/pickup situation. I can't be nearly as efficient as I want to be with this buggy phone and with terrible communication from the supervisor. Other than those things I'm really liking the job. The day flies by. I guess my final complaint is that I only get about 7 hours a day. I'd like at least 10. It's only gonna last 8 weeks so I want as many hours as I can get.
I guess hours vary by location. I usually finish my assigned route by around 6:00 or so and then the center lets me stay and help as long as I want. I’ve pulled a few 13 hour days already. Anything after eight hours is overtime so I try and hit at least that every day. I’m with you - for an eight week job, bring it on.

This is a bit unrelated but just out of curiosity, how many stops and miles are you averaging a day? Are they having you do neighborhoods, rural, or a mix of both? Just curious to know how other locations are managing PVDs.

Poop Head

Judge me.

Guy, youre delivering packages out of your personal vehicle for two months of the year..

They seem to put them in the country here.
Thanks, I appreciate the response. That’s what I did last year, but this year they’re having me do more stops in neighborhoods.

Fewer stops and more miles seems to make more sense to me though since we don’t have the same load capacity as trucks do. Not to mention you guys are probably quite a bit quicker using a truck.

meritocracy

Please quit your job as a PVD and get a job as a package handler, package car driver (NOT PVD), or get your CDL and get a job as a tractor trailer (feeder) driver. It'll be a lot better for you and your family in the long run. A great pension, platinum health insurance for free, and a union of working men and women who have your back.