Any thoughts ?

Est.1998

Once they figure out they will not be keep on after Christmas, they bolt
Don't really care for helpers, they seem more trouble than they are worth and I sure as hell am not going to have one this year
I do not agree with the PVD thing
I’m using my helper for sure.
I personally don’t enjoy entering and exiting my vehicle 200+ times, pushing/pulling handcarts, and walking all day.
this summer was a beast.

quad decade guy

The HR role is pretty useless. There's not really any reason for every center to have their own HR person when they can have one per district or whatever with the center managers fulfilling that role locally.

It's what they do in the grocery industry (from personal experience.) Each store manager handles their own hiring/etc and then they give/receive info from the one HR person for however many stores they oversee.

I honestly don't see us removing a lot of HR people as a bad move. I've only seen ours once or twice outside of peak in the 5 or so years I've been around.

What? BTW, I've been to HR maybe 2-3 times in 40 years. And they were the most useless, bad attitude, hateful, hate their job as any other at UPS. One per district? Dump HR on a center mgr.? OMG.

GenericUsername

Think about how many times outside of peak you've ever interacted with an HR person, saw one, or even needed one. I've seen ours outside of peak maybe twice. I can't even remember. All it takes is some delegation from the Center Manager to put a few of his responsibilities (holy crap, managing!) onto an ORS or two to take some heat off if it's a lot of stuff going on that week, otherwise the HR stuff would just be an extra few minutes to his week.

Nowadays most of the HR stuff could be done on the computer/telephone. The new hire goes through the process of application online, sends off whatever stuff, then gets a UPSer password and a phone number to call. They call the phone number, get any contact details they need to call the center or go for testing (blood or physical), then come to work for whatever shift they're supposed to be at. It's pretty simple, really.

Outside of peak season I don't see the need for maybe 1 person for HR duties for most of a state. There really isn't much that they have to do seeing that we don't work in an office environment, we have a union that does all the bickering between management/us, and outside of 3 months of the year they're basically getting paid to sit and twirl. It's a great money saving move by the company.

Over70irregs

No cashout for hourlies. That is a pipe dream. Not recommending anyone for peak. Not interested in a helper. Not in Covid age when they sacrificed us with no protections. No info on sick or affected employees. No PPE for months. If you get exposed by some no social distance, covid denying youngster and take that crap to your family......... I’m good.

4evapreloader

No cash out for hourlies? My wet dream is a payout offer for long time PT employees which would simultaneously coincide with my retirement! This would occur at the beginning of the next contract. Yes ! Yes ! Yes! I'll take your offer because I was leaving anyway!
Like I said, 95% chance it's a dream. I'm holding out hope though only because of the money they pay me now.

PT Car Washer

No cash out for hourlies? My wet dream is a payout offer for long time PT employees which would simultaneously coincide with my retirement! This would occur at the beginning of the next contract. Yes ! Yes ! Yes! I'll take your offer because I was leaving anyway!
Like I said, 95% chance it's a dream. I'm holding out hope though only because of the money they pay me now.
Still waiting for my buy out but instead they offer me more money to stay. Imagine a $40/hr PT job with 7 weeks paid vacation a year.

JEMOL S. MINCEY

Think about how many times outside of peak you've ever interacted with an HR person, saw one, or even needed one. I've seen ours outside of peak maybe twice. I can't even remember. All it takes is some delegation from the Center Manager to put a few of his responsibilities (holy crap, managing!) onto an ORS or two to take some heat off if it's a lot of stuff going on that week, otherwise the HR stuff would just be an extra few minutes to his week.

Nowadays most of the HR stuff could be done on the computer/telephone. The new hire goes through the process of application online, sends off whatever stuff, then gets a UPSer password and a phone number to call. They call the phone number, get any contact details they need to call the center or go for testing (blood or physical), then come to work for whatever shift they're supposed to be at. It's pretty simple, really.

Outside of peak season I don't see the need for maybe 1 person for HR duties for most of a state. There really isn't much that they have to do seeing that we don't work in an office environment, we have a union that does all the bickering between management/us, and outside of 3 months of the year they're basically getting paid to sit and twirl. It's a great money saving move by the company.
Shaot!