Any way to avoid UPS Surepost, by using MyChoice, etc.?

Est.1998

I figured I might ask some UPS employees to see if anyone has encountered this before. Basically USPS in my area will not deliver packages. Any package that UPS SurePost transfers to USPS just results in a note telling me to pick it up at the post office, which is a 22 mile round trip. This is obviously not ideal.

First, I tried to correct this with the companies sending the shipments. Amazon struggled with this at first, but now everything seems to come form either UPS Ground of Prime Delivery. Target, however, told me there was no way for them to choose a default shipping option to always use UPS Ground. They also couldn't switch my default carrier to FedEx. Nothing they could do apparently.

Next, I contacted UPS about the MyChoice service. I was told that although I could pay to upgrade a specific shipment from UPS Surepost to UPS Ground, there was no way to set a default option on my account to always use UPS Ground. I would gladly pay to upgrade each one by default, but apparently that's not an option. Again, not ideal to have to manage tracking of packages and upgrade individually. That also wouldn't cover things sent to me by others.

Is there any option I might have through UPS to avoid the transfer to USPS for final delivery?

Thanks.
have it delivered to your job or a family/friends house.

Oak

USPS is getting paid by UPS to deliver the surepost packages, not to hold them at the post office. You have already paid for delivery in your purchase. I would not pay for the upgrade. The post office owes you delivery.

I would ask to speak to the postmaster, then his supervisor, then his supervisor. When I stopped being allowed to speak to a supervisor's supervisor I would contact my state representative.

I personally wish this service level was not available at all, but since it is USPS should be held to their responsibilities.

USPS is getting paid by UPS to deliver the surepost packages, not to hold them at the post office. You have already paid for delivery in your purchase. I would not pay for the upgrade. The post office owes you delivery.

I would ask to speak to the postmaster, then his supervisor, then his supervisor. When I stopped being allowed to speak to a supervisor's supervisor I would contact my state representative.

I personally wish this service level was not available at all, but since it is USPS should be held to their responsibilities.
The post office has a week to deliver sure post packages after they receive them

542thruNthru

They are attempting delivery. Problem is that his area doesn't have enough package mailboxes for them to leave everything.

USPS doesn't deliver door to door like us. They deliver to mailboxes or a centralized delivery point that services multiple address. He has a centralized delivery point.

NAHimGOOD

Nothing to see here.... Move along.
A simple text.

Mailman: I have your junk. I'll be at the box at noon.

Customer: see you then jerkoff.

This is an actual message from my postal guy

"I suggest the dogs are inside when I come back around the block or I'm pushing these boxes in the lake"

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
They are attempting delivery. Problem is that his area doesn't have enough package mailboxes for them to leave everything.

USPS doesn't deliver door to door like us. They deliver to mailboxes or a centralized delivery point that services multiple address. He has a centralized delivery point.
That’s not attempting delivery. Drive it to the :censored2:ing house. :censored2: like this is why the post office shouldn’t even be allowed to compete directly with us in my opinion.
Mail goes to mailboxes or central delivery points. Parcels go to the house. If they want to compete in the parcel delivery business. Go to the damn house.

542thruNthru

That’s not attempting delivery. Drive it to the :censored2:ing house. :censored2: like this is why the post office shouldn’t even be allowed to compete directly with us in my opinion.
Mail goes to mailboxes or central delivery points. Parcels go to the house. If they want to compete in the parcel delivery business. Go to the damn house.

Tell me how you really feel. :)

cnwinger

I'd love it if this were true, but they've been doing it this way for 100-200 houses for like a decade now (that I know of - most likely longer). They're not changing.

Preaching to the choir here. Our USPS carrier is absolutely useless. So were most of the rest of the branch. When I moved they told me they didn't have a mailbox for me. Their solution? I should pay for and pay to install another 16-unit cluster mailbox. That's my responsibility, why? I refused and I had to have my mail delivered to a Postal Annex box for 6 months before they finally agreed to install the cluster mailbox themselves.

Our UPS guy on the other hand is a great guy.

bumped

I figured I might ask some UPS employees to see if anyone has encountered this before. Basically USPS in my area will not deliver packages. Any package that UPS SurePost transfers to USPS just results in a note telling me to pick it up at the post office, which is a 22 mile round trip. This is obviously not ideal.

First, I tried to correct this with the companies sending the shipments. Amazon struggled with this at first, but now everything seems to come form either UPS Ground of Prime Delivery. Target, however, told me there was no way for them to choose a default shipping option to always use UPS Ground. They also couldn't switch my default carrier to FedEx. Nothing they could do apparently.

Next, I contacted UPS about the MyChoice service. I was told that although I could pay to upgrade a specific shipment from UPS Surepost to UPS Ground, there was no way to set a default option on my account to always use UPS Ground. I would gladly pay to upgrade each one by default, but apparently that's not an option. Again, not ideal to have to manage tracking of packages and upgrade individually. That also wouldn't cover things sent to me by others.

Is there any option I might have through UPS to avoid the transfer to USPS for final delivery?

Thanks.

Call your Congressman to complain. My neighbors are both postal carriers, and they tell me if there is a problem don't deal with the postmaster. Have a bunch of people in your neighborhood call your Congressman to complain.

What'dyabringmetoday???

They deliver to almost every house around here.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Call your Congressman to complain. My neighbors are both postal carriers, and they tell me if there is a problem don't deal with the postmaster. Have a bunch of people in your neighborhood call your Congressman to complain.
Postmaster is like a center manager. They will do anything so that their numbers look how they need them to look.