Anybody Have any Success Stories?

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
ORION is garbage. left turn, left turn, walk across the street, resi stop, U-turn, back track, driveway, left turn, skip biz, back track, U-turn, left turn, walk across street .... all friend'n day to save ZERO miles!! it actually adds miles to my day and puts me in dangerous driving situations. until my job is actually threatened I wont run it. I beat their miles every day being safe and by driving/delivering how we were trained.

I do the same. I look at the Orion list and everyone over 90% is 5-10 milies over Orion planned miles. I'm at 75-80% and I usually save 5 miles a day. It's a joke.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
What is needed is three things:

1- Get rid of the pick up time commit for smaller accounts. Go back to the ready pickup.

2- A "ORION reset" is needed. After heavy air, bulk, etc, or after lunch or doing pickups, we would be able to reset the order from where we are at that point.

3- Load in ORION order.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
I run a rural route with an average of 200 miles a day. I have been instructed to run ORION at least 85% but there is no alert in the DIAD as to what my current percentage is at any given time. Have decided to run ORION at 100% to help my management team meet their metric. Has added at least 25 miles to my day and since I am also on the 9.5 list my dispatched stops have decreased. More windshield time and less lifting for this old fart. Win/win for me!

ORION is garbage. left turn, left turn, walk across the street, resi stop, U-turn, back track, driveway, left turn, skip biz, back track, U-turn, left turn, walk across street .... all friend'n day to save ZERO miles!! it actually adds miles to my day and puts me in dangerous driving situations. until my job is actually threatened I wont run it. I beat their miles every day being safe and by driving/delivering how we were trained.
Maybe Orion needed Togo to driving school before they rolled it out. He would not have passed the DOKs for sure.

jaker

trolling
I do the same. I look at the Orion list and everyone over 90% is 5-10 milies over Orion planned miles. I'm at 75-80% and I usually save 5 miles a day. It's a joke.
Dang 75 -80 % that's good , I am usually around 65-70%

I hit 80 once and to this day I don't know how it happen

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I've run several routes with orion. I have yet to find one where it didnt add miles, over allowed hours and substantially increase safety risks. A driver who has area knowledge and works to keep mileage down can do a much better job than orion. Its a failed project but management will continue ramming it down our throats.

Sent from Droid 4 using Brown Cafe mobile app

JL 0513

Orion only works effectively when everything runs just right. Drivers who don't figure out the timing and strategy that Orion uses will absolutely be way over time and miles. So on one hand it takes some of the thinking away by lining up your stops but on the other hand you have to plan your timing just right.

If you're off and have to break off for p/u's at a point that is not what Orion has set up, there goes your miles and time. It all comes down to p/u's.

The other key factor is of course the backs. If you are unwilling or unable to back often to change directions, Orion's effectiveness is lost. And actually has adverse effects of adding more miles than a knowledgeable guy would otherwise run. Orion orders your stops entirely based on changing direction, if you don't, you're going to do a LOT of driving.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
The other key factor is of course the backs. If you are unwilling or unable to back often to change directions, Orion's effectiveness is lost. And actually has adverse effects of adding more miles than a knowledgeable guy would otherwise run. Orion orders your stops entirely based on changing direction, if you don't, you're going to do a LOT of driving.

Going to be interesting to see how my center manager handles this. I really truly believe he is a safety first type of guy. Unfortunately if he goes against the grain I see a new center manager (a yes man) in our future.

wayfair

swollen member
screwed up my pickup compliance if run that way....4 o clock picks up according to ORION are actually 445 pickups, large volume, so you could be there more that the 2 min time allowance...terrible.... I'm not missing business's.... sorry , don't need any extra reports on my pittsburgh

JL 0513

That's the ot
screwed up my pickup compliance if run that way....4 o clock picks up according to ORION are actually 445 pickups, large volume, so you could be there more that the 2 min time allowance...terrible.... I'm not missing business's.... sorry , don't need any extra reports on my pittsburgh

That's the other thing. center manager emphasizes meeting p/u compliance (+/- 15). Yet Orion sets me up sometimes to reach p/u's up to 30 minutes late. I check my route in the AM where you can see each stop's ETA for the day. And it's right there planned ahead of time to be 30 minutes late. So now to be on time, I have to take a shorter afternoon lunch (the rest later). It's really tiring dealing with never ending conflicting elements of the job.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Don' be ridiculous :biggrin:

Like so many other things, if you want to prepare yourself for the day, it's on your time. BS, but if you do all your preperation after PCM, you got yourself some late air.
Prepping for the day should consist of grabbing your supplies and pretriping your truck, all of which is paid time. If ORIAN is the be all end all of driving, why do folks need to go over it before leaving.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Prepping for the day should consist of grabbing your supplies and pretriping your truck, all of which is paid time. If ORIAN is the be all end all of driving, why do folks need to go over it before leaving.
Yep can't get it through my sups head that I have no obligation to be on the other end of the building right at start time for the PCM.