Anybody Have any Success Stories?

Pkgcar1988

Orion only works effectively when everything runs just right. Drivers who don't figure out the timing and strategy that Orion uses will absolutely be way over time and miles. So on one hand it takes some of the thinking away by lining up your stops but on the other hand you have to plan your timing just right.

If you're off and have to break off for p/u's at a point that is not what Orion has set up, there goes your miles and time. It all comes down to p/u's.

The other key factor is of course the backs. If you are unwilling or unable to back often to change directions, Orion's effectiveness is lost. And actually has adverse effects of adding more miles than a knowledgeable guy would otherwise run. Orion orders your stops entirely based on changing direction, if you don't, you're going to do a LOT of driving.
First off I am on Orion and run it between 90-100% everyday with anywhere between 10-15 miles over plan.
I don't believe that it is my responsibility to have to worry about my "timing". Things happen throughout the day that I have no control over that may affect my "timing" and I am not going to work unsafely to make up that time by speeding or running.
I was also trained way back when to never back when it was unnecessary. Also never into a residential driveway. Just had a driver back into someone's garage door last night and center manager said remember I said we need to eliminate unnecessary backs to prevent this kind of stuff from happening. I'm sure the guy will get a warning letter.
This program is a piece of crap and there will come a day when we will not be forced to use it.
PEAK. Lol

JL 0513

First off I am on Orion and run it between 90-100% everyday with anywhere between 10-15 miles over plan.
I don't believe that it is my responsibility to have to worry about my "timing". Things happen throughout the day that I have no control over that may affect my "timing" and I am not going to work unsafely to make up that time by speeding or running.
I was also trained way back when to never back when it was unnecessary. Also never into a residential driveway. Just had a driver back into someone's garage door last night and center manager said remember I said we need to eliminate unnecessary backs to prevent this kind of stuff from happening. I'm sure the guy will get a warning letter.
This program is a piece of crap and there will come a day when we will not be forced to use it.
PEAK. Lol

That's the thing. A lot of drivers will likely not work with what Orion designs for each day.
If you have p/u's on a route, and most routes do, then meeting Orion's timing is the only way the system works. If you're off, then miles explode because the break away for p/u's and return to where you left off is where all those extra miles and time comes.

Yeah, it sucks but what can we do?

I wouldn't want to be hassled every morning for excessive mileage and paid over days. I had one inflated day last week and had to explain myself. It's ridiculous.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Success Story: I'm covering a route this week that has such an efficient EDD trace that I turn off Orion first thing every morning and come in within a few miles of what Orion wants so they don't say a word. So success story is successfully using EDD on an Orion route while still keeping management off my back. WIN!

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
That's the thing. A lot of drivers will likely not work with what Orion designs for each day.
If you have p/u's on a route, and most routes do, then meeting Orion's timing is the only way the system works. If you're off, then miles explode because the break away for p/u's and return to where you left off is where all those extra miles and time comes.

Yeah, it sucks but what can we do?

I wouldn't want to be hassled every morning for excessive mileage and paid over days. I had one inflated day last week and had to explain myself. It's ridiculous.
You have to explain yourself because 90% of the time you play their game. You have done nothing but harm yourself.

If from day one you ran 100% took your full lunch when intended and were way over everyday there would be no explaining.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I'm one of like 3 guys that stand there with a blank stare when they tell us to stretch. I'm ready with a print out of two studies that prove cold stretching is harmful and I won't do it.
I keep wanting to blurt out that every study over the last 5 years has shown stretching does nothing to prevent injury.

Our old safety sup went home from work and stretched for hours everyday. Pretty funny really.

giggity

I used to look at the times in the morning too. it had us leaving building time at about 830 when we really dont come close to leaving until 900 or later. then someone realized that they were WAY off but instead if fixing the time in the system, they just took that part out off of the orion screen instead. we're are managed by mindless baboons ...[/quote]

JL 0513

I used to look at the times in the morning too. it had us leaving building time at about 830 when we really dont come close to leaving until 900 or later. then someone realized that they were WAY off but instead if fixing the time in the system, they just took that part out off of the orion screen instead. we're are managed by mindless baboons ...

In our building where start time is 9:00, Orion is set for us to be on road at 9:10. That's nearly impossible, especially for us guys who are buried like sardines in parts of the building. PCM takes us to 9:05. Then it takes a while just to actually leave building, one by one. Add your pre-trip and any tasks you refuse to do before PCM, and you're way late before you even start the day. This is a problem when Orion is all about timing. I'm already 10 minutes behind when I reach my first stop. And they won't adjust that 9:10 time.