anybody homebrewing beer?

Areyoukiddinme

best 2 weeks ever
since we as retirees have the time for it I was wondering if anybody else is doing some home brewing I started about a year and a half ago. And with a couple dozen batches under my belt(literally) I'm finally enjoying it. Just asking if anybody else is brewing?

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
since we as retirees have the time for it I was wondering if anybody else is doing some home brewing I started about a year and a half ago. And with a couple dozen batches under my belt(literally) I'm finally enjoying it. Just asking if anybody else is brewing?
I bought Tony a beer making gizmo for his birthday. He hasn't made any, yet...

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

I've got a mr beer plus all the accessories I'll sell cheap

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I haven't made a batch in a while. I have made some decent brew in the past. Its easy to do, I wasn't making large enough amounts to save money. I was bottling a case at a time experimenting with different recipes.

oldngray

nowhere special
I haven't made a batch in a while. I have made some decent brew in the past. Its easy to do, I wasn't making large enough amounts to save money. I was bottling a case at a time experimenting with different recipes.

Yeah, you don't do it to save money. Its more for the fun of experimenting with different recipes.

Although you aren't doing it to save money its still an inexpensive hobby. I did upgrade my equipment from the original starter kit but not something you have to do.

Areyoukiddinme

best 2 weeks ever
I got one of those mr beer 1 gallon batch kits for Christmas a couple of years ago. Way too much work for a gallon and it was horrible. But I could see with better equipment it could be fun, so hello Craigslist got a car load of gear for $100.00 now its 5 gallon batches and its not about saving money its about making something.

oldngray

nowhere special
I got one of those mr beer 1 gallon batch kits for Christmas a couple of years ago. Way too much work for a gallon and it was horrible. But I could see with better equipment it could be fun, so hello Craigslist got a car load of gear for $100.00 now its 5 gallon batches and its not about saving money its about making something.

I never had one of the 1 gallon kits. I started with a 5 gallon plastic tub but switched to glass 5 gallon watercooler bottles because they were so much easier to clean. I wouldn't try it with the plastic watercooler bottles though.

One thing I didn't have was a fridge for making better lagers. At warmer temperatures lager yeasts are more like ale yeasts so ales are much easier to brew. I just used a closet in the basement as a cool dark place for it to ferment.

Areyoukiddinme

best 2 weeks ever
I'm using the buckets I find its easier to transfer with a spigot. I don't have a dedicated fridge either so I too use a closet. I picked up an old kegerator and a couple of corny kegs that I like to keep stocked but I need to start bottling again too many empty cases in the garage. And that 1 gallon kit takes about as time from start to finish as a 5 gallon.

smurfybrown

happily retired
I enjoy craft beers. (Domestic too, lol). I should look into making my own. :drool:
My focus after I retired is sourcing real foods and eliminating industrially processed foods from my diet. Currently, my entertainment time consists of watching youtubes and reading everything I can (mostly on the internet) about raising both healthy produce and protein. I am convinced that Big Pharma and other behind-the-scenes interests (investors who stand to gain financially, among other agendas) are knowingly harming the health of the general population. haha, yeah I should be wearing a tinfoil hat. Anyway, I am making my own kombucha and jun tea, and experimenting with fermented foods. I have a small acreage and am researching raising my own grass-fed grass-finished meats and poultry. I have a lot to learn, but home-crafted beer will be high on my priority list. :happy:

Oakland J

I am looking for some assistance. I worked for UPS from 1993 -1999 as a part time supervisor. I was given stock in the company when they went public. I used to fret information regarding my stock and voting privileges up until I moved in 2004.
I would like to know if anyone has a email address or phone number of who I can call to find out more about the stock I have and my pension

CaliforniaPaul

I am looking for some assistance. I worked for UPS from 1993 -1999 as a part time supervisor. I was given stock in the company when they went public. I used to fret information regarding my stock and voting privileges up until I moved in 2004.
I would like to know if anyone has a email address or phone number of who I can call to find out more about the stock I have and my pension
Go to the UPS web site, there may be a section to aid your search. UPS.com