Anyone ever recieve a reward for reporting theft?

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
i would never rat out another employee no matter how much i hated them. however, there are two exceptions: theft or any action that puts anyone in danger of any kind of injury.

Theft? Never seen it--that I'm aware of. Re-tape guy at my old hub suspected something was going on but I was never approached or heard anything about it. Putting others at risk?? Seems a daily occurrence, from this board and my own experience: a support for a drop frame not fixed causing a nasty tilting, etc. An unload supervisor once tried to blow a trailer of Worldwide :censored2: and any number of packages hit the grating. Guy threw up his hands in disgust and frustration. I was nearest the mess, crouched down, screaming his name and he trotted up, asking, "What the h*ll is your problem?" I answered, "My problem? You have the problem! Turn the friend*%$ING belt back on before I clean up that mess your idiot employee made and I'll call the safety line when I get home tonight!" He said, "Whooa, whoooa! I'm not gonna turn that belt back on, man." I growled at him, "If the ft'er starts barking for it to be turned on, tell him an hourly will call safety if it turns back on before the mess is cleaned up." Sure enough, ft'er started barking for it to be turned back on. He was less than thrilled about the promise to call safety:thumbup1:.

A long time ago, I read an article stating:
"When making a decision and there is some doubt, ask yourself, if your action was published in a newspaper, would you want your mother to read the article?."

So to answer your question - yes, I would rat a dishonest employee, be it management or hourly. And not have any qualms about doing so, what is right is right, what is wrong is wrong.

Great quote, Channa. I'd rat a dishonest employee in a heartbeat. I have my hub's LP number programmed in my cell phone. I'd at least report any theft or dishonesty by calling that number or the UPS helpline. After that, my conscience is clear. At the end of the day, I'm the one that has to look at this mug in the mirror.

The mentions of number manipulation are something I won't touch. I don't know enough about package car and operations to be able to have a supported argument. I will say my conscience and morals have a problem with it but I have an "overdeveloped conscience." -Rocky

tieguy

Banned
Tie now whos answering a question with a question? You have never framed or lied on a union employee in your whole career? I find that hard to believe if you made it all the way to manager without frauding, lieing, stealing, and cheating. If you didnt before you got there its almost a certainty that your doing it now, and thats why your refusing to answer the question. The question was whats worse an hourly stealing from the company, or a manager stealing fron the back bone of the company?

Red its been a real simple question that you keep trying to squirm out of. Would you turn in a thief who steals from the company. Not a shop steward or BA who plays with the numbers but an honest to god thief. You used the rat term. Are you actually telling us you believe in having a code of honor with theives? Until you actually answer that question up front and honest I will not let you steer me anywhere else.

hoser

Industrial Slob
Theft? Never seen it--that I'm aware of. Re-tape guy at my old hub suspected something was going on but I was never approached or heard anything about it. Putting others at risk?? Seems a daily occurrence, from this board and my own experience: a support for a drop frame not fixed causing a nasty tilting, etc. An unload supervisor once tried to blow a trailer of Worldwide :censored2: and any number of packages hit the grating. Guy threw up his hands in disgust and frustration. I was nearest the mess, crouched down, screaming his name and he trotted up, asking, "What the h*ll is your problem?" I answered, "My problem? You have the problem! Turn the friend*%$ING belt back on before I clean up that mess your idiot employee made and I'll call the safety line when I get home tonight!" He said, "Whooa, whoooa! I'm not gonna turn that belt back on, man." I growled at him, "If the ft'er starts barking for it to be turned on, tell him an hourly will call safety if it turns back on before the mess is cleaned up." Sure enough, ft'er started barking for it to be turned back on. He was less than thrilled about the promise to call safety:thumbup1:.
In those situations, I go work to rule. I stop the belt, I clean everything up (using hand to surface, labels up of course), and I don't restart until everything is clear. Then I am sure to work at the safest (what some may consider to be "slowest") work pace. If the supervisor freaks out, I say nothing, getting in a pissing match isn't gonna do much.

Doing this has worked wonders for me... try it out sometime :wink:

moreluck

golden ticket member
The Rap Industry sure hasn't helped matters with their "Stop Snitching Campaign". See a crime, don't snitch. Don't tell the cops if you see who killed a guy or robbed a store etc.

I continue to shake my head.:sad:

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
In those situations, I go work to rule. I stop the belt, I clean everything up (using hand to surface, labels up of course), and I don't restart until everything is clear. Then I am sure to work at the safest (what some may consider to be "slowest") work pace. If the supervisor freaks out, I say nothing, getting in a pissing match isn't gonna do much.

Doing this has worked wonders for me... try it out sometime :wink:

Interesting tactic. I might. I work on a Noonday sort, so it isn't the problem a Twilight sort has. I do know my sup would freak if I pulled that stunt. I try to stay off management's radar if possible. But, causing a hazard to their employees is unacceptable. -Rocky

705red

Browncafe Steward
Red its been a real simple question that you keep trying to squirm out of. Would you turn in a thief who steals from the company. Not a shop steward or BA who plays with the numbers but an honest to god thief. You used the rat term. Are you actually telling us you believe in having a code of honor with theives? Until you actually answer that question up front and honest I will not let you steer me anywhere else.
Blah blah blah blah, now i know your a manager. Wont be wasting anymore time with you. Blah blah blah blah.

over9five

Staff member
I twice saw a fellow driver doing something so stupid, so dangerous, so...
Well, it weighed heavily on me all day. What should I do? It's really none of my business (right?). What the hell do I care?

Except, I did care...

That night, I went to the person I trusted most in the company (still do).
My supervisor. I said, "Gotta tell you something, cuz if some non UPSer gets injured or killed, I would share blame if I hadn't told you".

Sometimes, ya gotta report what ya kno...

tieguy

Banned
Blah blah blah blah, now i know your a manager. Wont be wasting anymore time with you. Blah blah blah blah.

another one of many of your dodges. this is good the more you try to dodge the question the more you show your true colors.

Real simple if you honor a code of silence with thieves then you are no better than that thief.

So what is it red are you a thief or would you turn one in?