Anyone here ever work for Amazon or know someone that did?

ExizFed

I'm a package handler at UPS been one for 10 months I was curious what it's like at Amazon. Their application process is weird they don't even care about a resume or really an interview. When I was done it gave me times for today to come pick up my badge and show ID and whatever it's supposed to be a 30 minute session. If I didn't have a job already I'd appreciate the no standards but I'd like to find out more about the place. They pay a little better the insurance is so so and they offer more hours. It's probably more or less the same job I'd like to think it'd be a little easier I very rarely pick up a heavy Amazon box. Just wanted some thoughts if anyone had experience with them. I miss the union but I've never been fired from a job so I'd like to think I wouldn't be fired here lol
Not sure about package handler but delivery driver jobs are too easy to apply for. I applied to 3 or 4 amazon DSP got a quick response they run a background, drug test no physical though I agree on no standards. What turned me away was all of them told me if I finshed my deliveries early I would be helping other drivers, did that in landscaping got burn out real quick.

TeltBender

I know it's not fun work but it can't be that bad.
I don't really want to drive and I especially don't want to be a supervisor so I kind of feel like I'm wasting my time here. Really I've only stayed because of spite for my a****** managers. Even with our small little hub I've seen people get promoted to driver within a year so that's good for them. if it doesn't work out with Amazon I don't really think I want to stay with UPS anyway it's hard work for this early af time we come in
Sounds like you already made your decision. you are a fool if you think doing literally exactly what you are doing now but for 12 hours daily is any better. Also, have you ever heard of overtime???? Christ. No wonder they call part timers disposable labor.

TeltBender

If I didn't have a job already I’d appreciate the no standards
I especially don't want to be a supervisor. Really I've only stayed because of spite for my a****** managers.
I've never been fired before so I don't see that happening but I have thought about it. Union protection is nice but I'm not the one who needs it.
Wants more hours, wants more pay, but doesn't actually want to work, and has no standards. Holy moly you would be a perfect part time supervisor at UPS! Probably the best one in your hub too!

Red Devil

The Power of Connected
I realize this is about working inside Amazon facilities. But I ran into an Amazon dsp driver a while ago and we were comparing pay rates. In this area they pay $19 to drive the sprinter vans and $22 to drive the step vans. I told him I started at $20.50 to drive for ups. I told him what our top rate was and how long it takes to get there. But instead of being impressed by that he just looked like he felt sorry for me that I started at $20.50 to drive something with no air conditioning. I forgot to even mention the benefits.

meritocracy

- How many drivers and hub employees at Amazon will get to retire by age 50?
- How many people at Amazon get their prescriptions for free and their dr's appts at little to no cost?
- How many people at Amazon with no college degree make over $80k a year?
- How many people at Amazon have gotten fired and then gotten their jobs back?
- How many non-managers at Amazon get to have a say in the company's operations?

ZERO. You want a crappy job for some extra money for a few months? Go for it. You want a stable career? Union all the way.

Tech522

you already know they have metrics you have to meet, but some centers, if not all, also require you to be trained to operate PIT (forklifts, pickers...) and use them daily. And the insurance is garbage compared to ours.

RetiredIE

Retirement is VASTLY underrated
My daughter is a programmer for Amazon and my neighbor works in HR at Amazon. The good -> they pay great. The bad -> they will work you to death, revive you, and then work you to death until they can't revive you any longer. UPS gives you insurance, a union and a glimmer of opportunity. Amazon, no so much.

My daughter is a programmer for Amazon and my neighbor works in HR at Amazon. The good -> they pay great. The bad -> they will work you to death, revive you, and then work you to death until they can't revive you any longer. UPS gives you insurance, a union and a glimmer of opportunity. Amazon, no so much.

Nildog

Talk about no standards. Every time I've seen an Amazon driver stop for a delivery, they'll pull so little off the road that they may as well just stay in the middle of the roads. And that's in the Sprinters. I'd hate to see the ones that drive the package cars.

Red Devil

The Power of Connected
Talk about no standards. Every time I've seen an Amazon driver stop for a delivery, they'll pull so little off the road that they may as well just stay in the middle of the roads. And that's in the Sprinters. I'd hate to see the ones that drive the package cars.

Hey that’s still better than the one I saw do a 3 point turn right on someone’s grass. And this wasn’t like a farm or something it was a manicured suburban lawn 😂

allahuakbar

She/Her
I chill all day, finish by 5 and get paid $38 bucks an hour. Why would anyone want to work at Amazon when you can do the bare minimum with no standards at UPS?

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
I was driving to my mother in laws this past weekend who lives off a country road with a lot of blind curves. Came up to an Amazon driver, 4 ways on, sitting in the middle of the GD road right after a blind curve. 30 minutes later, leaving MIL’s, see the same damn driver in a different spot. 4 ways on, in the middle of the GD road right after a blind curve. I can’t make this s* up. I almost hit her out of principle.

Zowert

You’re better off with with a union job. Amazon can let you go for any reason, any time they want. UPS can’t do that, they have to go through Teamsters before terminating someone. If it’s money you’re after then why not look for full time work at UPS? If you don’t want to be a 22.4 or RPCD, you can try to get in as a car washer. That’s a gravy job with good pay.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
I was driving to my mother in laws this past weekend who lives off a country road with a lot of blind curves. Came up to an Amazon driver, 4 ways on, sitting in the middle of the GD road right after a blind curve. 30 minutes later, leaving MIL’s, see the same damn driver in a different spot. 4 ways on, in the middle of the GD road right after a blind curve. I can’t make this s* up. I almost hit her out of principle.
Should have bitch slapped her