Anyone here in the Knoxville, TN area?

Fido

Don’t worry he’s friendly
Both sides of my family are from the Knoxville area. Some still live there. I’d avoid Knoxville, or any other “city” in Tennessee for that matter. They are getting too crowded and taxes are going up. I’m familiar with Norris Lake cause my grandparents are from nearby. Been to Norris Dam to fish many times as a kid. I like the outskirts of Maryville and Alcoa. Had family there too. They aren’t too far from The Smoky Mountains.

Farragut is a “high maintenance” area if you know what I mean. I’d go for the burbs or mountains near Gatlinburg. Plus, Knoxville proper is supposed to be one of the worst places to live if you have spring allergies. Honesty....middle Tennessee is the better choice if you’re not wanting to be near the mountains. As long as you avoid Davidson County (Nashville) and Williamson County (Brentwood, Franklin) the cost of housing and cost of living will be awesome. There are numerous lakes and rivers in middle Tennessee that are less touristy than what you’ll see in East Tennessee.
Gatlinburg/pigeon forge area is awesome. When I was young my family and I would go to pigeon forge in September for the grand national hotel car show every year

Overpaid Union Thug

Gatlinburg/pigeon forge area is awesome. When I was young my family and I would go to pigeon forge in September for the grand national hotel car show every year
I don’t care for the tourists areas where all photoshops and moonshine stores are. I like the smaller towns and semi isolated cabins in the rural areas. The only thing for me in the commercial area is Buds Guns. It’s in Severiville.

Fido

Don’t worry he’s friendly
I don’t care for the tourists areas where all photoshops and moonshine stores are. I like the smaller towns and semi isolated cabins in the rural areas. The only thing for me in the commercial area is Buds Guns. It’s in Severiville.
Cool we have family in sevierville. Only like 30-45 minutes north of the forge

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Spent a week at a rental cabin in Gatlinburg a while back, did some hiking and running on the AT. Beautiful area if you like the outdoors but both Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge are kinda touristy.

Songwritersoul

My sister-in-law and her husband built their dream retirement home just outside of Telico Plains in a retirement village on a lake. Lived in it one moth then he died--that sucks. She stlll lives there and loves it.
That's very sad. Sorry for your loss. That is a very beautiful area for sure. That's one of my areas I'm looking at. Thanks.

Songwritersoul

Both sides of my family are from the Knoxville area. Some still live there. I’d avoid Knoxville, or any other “city” in Tennessee for that matter. They are getting too crowded and taxes are going up. I’m familiar with Norris Lake cause my grandparents are from nearby. Been to Norris Dam to fish many times as a kid. I like the outskirts of Maryville and Alcoa. Had family there too. They aren’t too far from The Smoky Mountains.

Farragut is a “high maintenance” area if you know what I mean. I’d go for the burbs or mountains near Gatlinburg. Plus, Knoxville proper is supposed to be one of the worst places to live if you have spring allergies. Honesty....middle Tennessee is the better choice if you’re not wanting to be near the mountains. As long as you avoid Davidson County (Nashville) and Williamson County (Brentwood, Franklin) the cost of housing and cost of living will be awesome. There are numerous lakes and rivers in middle Tennessee that are less touristy than what you’ll see in East Tennessee.
Thanks, will check that out.

Songwritersoul

Spent a week at a rental cabin in Gatlinburg a while back, did some hiking and running on the AT. Beautiful area if you like the outdoors but both Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge are kinda touristy.
Yeah, I drove through there last year and have no desire to live near that area because of the mass tourism and traffic that it brings. Nice place to visit, but....

Songwritersoul

Yeah, I'm steering clear of both Nashville area and Knoxville city limits. I'd like to be out of Knox county for tax reasons. It all depends on money, but ideally, I'd like to have a few acres on county property with a view of a lake and a place to legally target shoot on my property. Much to do. thanks

Overpaid Union Thug

Yeah, I'm steering clear of both Nashville area and Knoxville city limits. I'd like to be out of Knox county for tax reasons. It all depends on money, but ideally, I'd like to have a few acres on county property with a view of a lake and a place to legally target shoot on my property. Much to do. thanks

Also consider northwest middle Tennessee particularly near LBL (Land Between The Lakes). There are lots of places along the Cumberland River and near LBL where people live for the reasons you said. There’s lots of retired military there because of the proximity to Fort Campbell. Plenty of which were Special Forces guys. And plenty of expats from the west coast and New York that somehow heard of that area and retired there.

rod

Retired 22 years
Also consider northwest middle Tennessee particularly near LBL (Land Between The Lakes). There are lots of places along the Cumberland River and near LBL where people live for the reasons you said. There’s lots of retired military there because of the proximity to Fort Campbell. Plenty of which were Special Forces guys. And plenty of expats from the west coast and New York that somehow heard of that area and retired there.
I took Basic Training when I was drafted at Ft. Campbell. At that time I didn't think Ky. was too nice. :-)

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
My older brother was stationed at Ft Campbell when he was with 5th SFg, I went down there for his wedding. I wanna say he was living in Clarksville TN at the time. Seemed like a nice place, but that was 30+ years ago.

Overpaid Union Thug

I took Basic Training when I was drafted at Ft. Campbell. At that time I didn't think Ky. was too nice. :-)
It still isn’t. But across the border and away from the base is fine. Not my area but I’m somewhat familiar with it having lived in middle Tennessee for so long.

Overpaid Union Thug

My older brother was stationed at Ft Campbell when he was with 5th SFg, I went down there for his wedding. I wanna say he was living in Clarksville TN at the time. Seemed like a nice place, but that was 30+ years ago.
It’s completely different now. It was the fastest growing town in the country for a while. Still one of the fastest. I’m glad I don’t live there. I don’t have the patience for growing pains induced traffic and all the other problems that’s come with having the good ole boys trying to run things. I’m “in between” the burbs off two different towns and a metro sized city.

74UPS

74UPS

I'm sitting here in Loudon Cnty, just outside of Lenoir City. 2.25 acres, view of the Smokies and Fort Loudon Lake. Low property tax, no state income tax - sales tax is 10% though (gotta git them turists money). From here I can be in Maryville or West Knoxville in half hour. Retired from Michigan 9 years ago and it does get HOT here for 8 - 10 weeks. Winters are great, 1/2" snow last one, but 2" can shut everything down. Good area to look at is along US 321 from Lenoir City to Maryville. Friendsville, Louisville, Greenback. Anything down in Tellico area is a long way from everything - unless you're an avid golfer. My mom was raised in North Knoxville, Inlaws and wife were from Townsend. No regrets moving here.