Thinking about quitting

satellitedriver

Hey everyone,

I'm thinking about looking for work elsewhere. Going on 6 years with the company, almost 4 full time. Enjoy the job but don't want to work OT until I retire and my life has passed me by. I'm a single guy about 30, live below my means. Not sure what I want to do yet but if I quit want to do it right and save some money first as I'll hit top rate soon. Looking into working for the city or maybe DNR? Enjoy being outdoors and staying active, I'll pass on the OT though. Any suggestions? When am I vested in the pension? Have about 60k in the 401k. Roll it over? Or what? Looking for suggestions or advice in doing this the right way. I could stick it out for 10, 15, or 20 years but not sure it would make me happy. It seems this place gets worse almost daily. Does anyone see it differently? Thank you in advance.
Quit and learn if it was a good decision, at your risk.
Your life, your decision.
If you equate work with being happy, then you do not know what work is all about.

AllOnTheHorses

I got out. You will always wonder if leaving Brown Cow was the right decision.
I lurk here because I really miss the people that I liked..the camaraderie.. the job is, "Us vs Them".. I do miss that.
However, I don't regret leaving.. but I do hate paying a very high price for high deductible insurance ! It really feels like an insult after having great healthcare on the company dime.
I do what I love now. But I am often awake at night about business concerns and whether co-workers are doing what I need them to do.

I do miss a job where if I did it well I have peace when I walk out the door. But, Ups is less and less that now with telematics, orion, pph.. yes, those are traps for the slackers or unsafe..but sups use it to, "act like sups".. just making a hard worker even more exhausted and hopeless. UPS is not what it was.
But yeah, I miss some of it.

Analogy: I love my dogs. But I just cleaned up a puddle of dogdoo one of them ate and threw up.
Give and take to everything.

My 2 cents: UPS is desperate for good labor. If you leave, do it with a nice letter, two weeks notice. Don't burn a bridge..keep a good reference.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
170 isn't "awful"...
170….
8E8E7395-3806-4B9F-BB29-5921A3877422.jpeg

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I actually looked at jobs with the state DNR, I used to live three miles from one of the busiest parks in Georgia. Starting pay is horrible, it's near minimum wage. You are expected to work most weekends and holidays, the busiest days. The better-paying positions require a college degree, even a maintenance manager who basically does lawn care and light facility repairs. The park manager gets a vehicle to drive and a house on-site to live in, but his pay tops out about $45K. It wasn't worth it to me considering the number of hours he works. I was making over twice what he did driving a package car and being home weekends and holidays.

The Driver

I drive.
If I do it's soccer. Outside of that I'd like to help improve the earth, by planting native plants or other means
Maybe consider living cheaply and saving all you can and pay cash for more education and training. Why not? Make a plan.

A quote I wish someone would've impressed upon me growing up:

"Begin with the end in mind."

I actually looked at jobs with the state DNR, I used to live three miles from one of the busiest parks in Georgia. Starting pay is horrible, it's near minimum wage. You are expected to work most weekends and holidays, the busiest days. The better-paying positions require a college degree, even a maintenance manager who basically does lawn care and light facility repairs. The park manager gets a vehicle to drive and a house on-site to live in, but his pay tops out about $45K. It wasn't worth it to me considering the number of hours he works. I was making over twice what he did driving a package car and being home weekends and holidays.
That was one of the attractions of working a UPS job. Having weekends and Holidays off. Not true anymore.

If I had a nickel for every time I wanted to quit this place....

But I'm glad I stuck it out.

oldngray

nowhere special
I looked at DNR jobs too. Besides 10 times as many applicants as available jobs the pay wasn't much more than I was making part time at UPS. Not even close to what a full timer makes.

Hey everyone,

I'm thinking about looking for work elsewhere. Going on 6 years with the company, almost 4 full time. Enjoy the job but don't want to work OT until I retire and my life has passed me by. I'm a single guy about 30, live below my means. Not sure what I want to do yet but if I quit want to do it right and save some money first as I'll hit top rate soon. Looking into working for the city or maybe DNR? Enjoy being outdoors and staying active, I'll pass on the OT though. Any suggestions? When am I vested in the pension? Have about 60k in the 401k. Roll it over? Or what? Looking for suggestions or advice in doing this the right way. I could stick it out for 10, 15, or 20 years but not sure it would make me happy. It seems this place gets worse almost daily. Does anyone see it differently? Thank you in advance.
Are you at top rate yet?
$40 and hour may change your mind.

Brownslave688

This is what my dad did. Park ranger. I worked there a couple of summers and yeah it was kind of funny the summer help didn’t do much different than what the rangers did day to day.

Brownslave688

Are you at top rate yet?
$40 and hour may change your mind.
Most of the people I know that have quit quit right before full scale. They know it’s easier this way.

If someone doesn’t like the job at 25 they aren’t gonna like it at 40. It might make things seem worth it for a few more years but it’s not always about the money.

McBoobo.

Plant some lettuce on my Big Mac. Enjoy working till you’re dead.
My thoughts exactly. Few jobs are going to pay $40 an hour without a Masters degree. If he has a bachelors and not many Inuits off from a Masters than by all means finish college and look for a job that affords a house.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
If I do it's soccer. Outside of that I'd like to help improve the earth, by planting native plants or other means
No offense but you can do that and still work at ups, plenty of places you could volunteer at

Whereistheunion

Hey everyone,

Wait until you top out, meet your savings goal work a few more years and then Quit. You will feel a lot better when your at the top rate. Our contract ends in August 2023 wait and see how the new contract treats us. Evaluate your situation at that point. In short, give it a go for 2 more years.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
You can keep your 401k where it is I believe. I retired 6 years ago and just kept it and it's grown quite a bit.

Not sure where you live but if single why don't you take a year off and travel.....Alaska or all over the states. You may find something great. I did not start at UPS until almost age 38 . Travelled all over the world and tried all kinds of work.

30 is still young. You have over another 30 years to work......enjoy life now.