Anyone remember "Delivering Our Future"

stucrew

Anyone remember "Delivering Our Future" and all the money spent trying to get our customers back after UPS lost them in the 80's because all they cared about was the "numbers"?

satellitedriver

Anyone remember "Delivering Our Future" and all the money spent trying to get our customers back after UPS lost them in the 80's because all they cared about was the "numbers"?
I remember,
we delivered their stuff to the neighbors, since they were not home.
Then there is the customers that got really hacked off when 1997 came around.
A lot of blame to go around for our present condition.

stucrew

I remember,
we delivered their stuff to the neighbors, since they were not home.
Then there is the customers that got really hacked off when 1997 came around.
A lot of blame to go around for our present condition.

The strike was needed and was not caused by the Union. At that time our center manager was kicked out of businesses when he tried to deliver pkgs to them. Our customers realized that we needed a fair wage and working conditions.

BrownDead

I feel we make a fair wage..........but the working conditions are horrible now. Our company is headed to hell in a hand basket fast. In 29 years I have never seen it this bad.

I feel we make a fair wage..........but the working conditions are horrible now. Our company is headed to hell in a hand basket fast. In 29 years I have never seen it this bad.

When you think it can't get any worse...it does. Back in the '70's they used to call you on vacation if you were home and ask you to come into work. Have they gotten back to that yet?

The strike was needed and was not caused by the Union. At that time our center manager was kicked out of businesses when he tried to deliver pkgs to them. Our customers realized that we needed a fair wage and working conditions.

IMO customers could care less about your working conditions...about as much as you care about their working conditions. As for customers realizing you needed a fair wage I challenge you with this: Let every cutomer you come in contact with know know your hourly wage and what you make on overtime. They will think so highly of you!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

When you think it can't get any worse...it does. Back in the '70's they used to call you on vacation if you were home and ask you to come into work. Have they gotten back to that yet?

In our district the finance dept has told the centers that they are no longer allowed to let us work our vacations.

tieguy

Banned

Ah the strike was not about wages it was supposedly about the ups attempt to buyout the pensions. fast forward 10 years and we buyout the CS pension. in hindsight it looks like the strike could have been avoided at a time when the cost to fix those pension plans was much cheaper. Prior to that strike 95 percent of our customers were loyal to one company with ups being the carrier of choice for most. After the strike most now use multiple shipping options.
I had one big shipper who I was picking up during the strike tell me that he would definitely divert the volume if ups did not break the union during this strike. So any discussions of the challenge of 80's and the loss of volume over the years would include our insensitivity to the shippers needs but would also have to include the strike. Both sides which includes the union would have to share blame for letting the strike happen.

One of the things that continues to amaze me is many of you here will creatively find some evil corporate plot behind every thing ups does but yet willingly believe everything the union tells you hook line and sinker.

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
One of the things that continues to amaze me is many of you here will creatively find some evil corporate plot behind every thing ups does but yet willingly believe everything the union tells you hook line and sinker.

I don't believe anything that comes out of my management teams mouth. I also don't believe anything that comes out of a stewards mouth that I can not verify it for myself. It took me a few years of working at UPS to realize that the best thing you can do is keep your mouth shut, head down, and just do your job. I socialize with no UPSers, I have no friends from work out side of work.

I gave up on being active with the union after volunteering my time to be trained for union jobs and never being called upon for the paid jobs. I do however still help people with understanding the contract and defending themselves in the office.

I like my job. I am proud of it. I just don't care beyond my little world anymore.

klein

Für Meno :)
What amazed me, is when you have damaged packages. Glass broken, or totally bent items, open packages that half the shipment is missing. But, yet, we still need to take them to the customer for them to refuse the shipment.
Basically show them how UPS mishandeld thier shipment.
Do, you think that customer will want UPS in the future, esspecially if that repeats itself, a few times per year ?

Why can't UPS just send out a notice, your shipment has been damaged or lost instead, and needs to be re-ordered ?
But, no, showing them the impact of the damage, is better customer service, right ? I would re-think that policy.

danlin

One of the things that continues to amaze me is many of you here will creatively find some evil corporate plot behind every thing ups does but yet willingly believe everything the union tells you hook line and sinker. [/QUOTE]

That is because we see on a daily basis what "evil corporate plot" this company is capable of and yet see that the union negotiated the rank and file good raises and wages that we received during the economic downturn..

Raw

Raw Member
Ah the strike was not about wages it was supposedly about the ups attempt to buyout the pensions. fast forward 10 years and we buyout the CS pension. in hindsight it looks like the strike could have been avoided at a time when the cost to fix those pension plans was much cheaper. Prior to that strike 95 percent of our customers were loyal to one company with ups being the carrier of choice for most. After the strike most now use multiple shipping options.
I had one big shipper who I was picking up during the strike tell me that he would definitely divert the volume if ups did not break the union during this strike. So any discussions of the challenge of 80's and the loss of volume over the years would include our insensitivity to the shippers needs but would also have to include the strike. Both sides which includes the union would have to share blame for letting the strike happen.

The strike was to stop UPS in making the workforce mostly part-time.

danlin

Delivering our Future, Challenges of the 80's, Reassessment, KORE groups (keeping our reputation for Ignorance) Its all the same rehashed agenda the company has to shove down our throats every 10 years to justify some big wigs position and salary.
How about this. Bring back the Circle of Honor induction ceremonies. Recognize people for their accomplishments in a timely manner.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

What amazed me, is when you have damaged packages. Glass broken, or totally bent items, open packages that half the shipment is missing. But, yet, we still need to take them to the customer for them to refuse the shipment.
Basically show them how UPS mishandeld thier shipment.
Do, you think that customer will want UPS in the future, esspecially if that repeats itself, a few times per year ?

Why can't UPS just send out a notice, your shipment has been damaged or lost instead, and needs to be re-ordered ?
But, no, showing them the impact of the damage, is better customer service, right ? I would re-think that policy.

Klein, if we have a known damage we are instructed to sheet as "future" and to bring it to PM clerk for inspection.

klein

Klein, if we have a known damage we are instructed to sheet as "future" and to bring it to PM clerk for inspection.

Well, you got great sups, and a great center manager.
We took it out, broken microwaves, ripped up packages with things missing, you name it.
Was a waste of time to even take it along.

I actually still feel sorry for driver releasing a Microwave, that was totally in pieces (glass everywhere).
But, I worked as directed.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Well, you got great sups, and a great center manager.
We took it out, broken microwaves, ripped up packages with things missing, you name it.
Was a waste of time to even take it along.

I actually still feel sorry for driver releasing a Microwave, that was totally in pieces (glass everywhere).
But, I worked as directed.

The reason we do it is quite simple--if we catch the damage before delivery and RTS to shipper we pay wholesale value of item. If we deliver it and the shipper then files a claim we pay retail or actual value.

I try to put myself in the customer's shoes. Would I want this item sitting at my front door when I got home from work? In the case of your microwave, there is no way you should have ever delivered that, regardless of direction.

klein

The reason we do it is quite simple--if we catch the damage before delivery and RTS to shipper we pay wholesale value of item. If we deliver it and the shipper then files a claim we pay retail or actual value.

I try to put myself in the customer's shoes. Would I want this item sitting at my front door when I got home from work? In the case of your microwave, there is no way you should have ever delivered that, regardless of direction.

I totally agree with you. I rang the doorbell, and waited, hoping someone was home, to give me the permission to refuse it.
But that didn't happen. (no one home).

I argued with my sup many mornings , about totally damaged packages.... but he insisted, take them to the customer, so they can refuse it.
(maybe it is an insurance thing ?) - - once delivered, UPS pays less ? I don't know.

Believe me, I also got instructed to deliver boxes that were open, and had no contents in it.
You can't argue with sups... like I said, work as directed.

klein

Klein, when you quote someone you might take the time to actually read what you are quoting. Go back and read what I had posted. Dave.

Dave, I understood your quote fully.
Maybe UPS gets paid for delivery, that it has actually been delivered ?
I have no clue, why they wanted us to take damaged or empty boxes to the customer.

I wouldn't dare to do that, if it was my own business.

(and i do hope someone bigger in charge is reading this,, because it needs to come to an end )!