Anyone using knee support?

Lobofan5

I'm thinking about getting some of those knee support straps to help prolong the life of my knees in this job.

I'm wondering if anyone is currently using them, or has any advice on a type to get?

Thanks.

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
I had a friend that used a knee brace on occasion. 10 years of football was the reason for the use of the brace. He hated to use it unless it was absolutely neccesary. He would keep it in his package car just in case. He retired 3 years ago and now it's with his hunting gear. It had metal padded sides and a hinge in the middle to stabilize lateral movement. I don't remember too much else!

browned_out

I used one of those neoprene knee braces once, it helped with support but eventually I had to have my knee operated on. I think short term these things help, but if the under lying problem is with your knee (acl, mcl, cartlage) its a short term fix at best.

helenofcalifornia

I think if I were you I would find myself an orthopedic surgeon and ask him what you could do to save your knees from future stress. My ortho is on speed dial. He can recommend some type of knee support. I wear the type of support in the above message. Good luck and smart thinking to try and avoid future injury. My problems started with a torn miniscus (sp) and has progressed downhill since.

Gman24

We had a Center Manager several years ago tell an employee that he couldn't wear one because it wasn't part of his uniform. There were several drivers standing right next to him, including myself, we couldn't believe what we were hearing. He took it off that morning and then put it back on when he got to his delivery area. Things have changed a little now, you will probably be allright.

local804

I'm thinking about getting some of those knee support straps to help prolong the life of my knees in this job.

I'm wondering if anyone is currently using them, or has any advice on a type to get?

Thanks.

We had a Center Manager several years ago tell an employee that he couldn't wear one because it wasn't part of his uniform. There were several drivers standing right next to him, including myself, we couldn't believe what we were hearing. He took it off that morning and then put it back on when he got to his delivery area. Things have changed a little now, you will probably be allright.

its amazing

tups

I used one when I first started here for about a month. Had it to just give extra support to a knee that had an operation many years ago from a football injury. Once I started getting used to climbing in and out of the package car and the knee felt stronger, I stopped using it. But the first time the center manager saw it he started asking if I was gonna file an injury report. When I said no and tried to explain why i had it, he said he didn't need an injury in his center.........pffft!

wornoutupser

I still carry my neoprene brace with me.
I had surgery a few years back but it hurts from time to time. I am just happy to have had better results than the doctor said I would!

G

give me more

16 years ago they tried telling warehouse people they couldnt wear the back braces...reason they gave incase you forget it one day/night it could cause more harm...??

diesel96

Can't wear one here in the sunshine state...it would really mess up my tan lines...Advil gel caps and plenty of water..then I'd numb it out at night with an ice pack and a couple of Rum Drinks.

Big Babooba

I have a friend who had a knee replaced while in package. He wears a brace on the other knee because it's a candidate for replacement.He's in his mid 50's. He now has an Article 22 AM Air Driver job.

UPS Lifer

Helen gave you some great advice but one other thing I would recommend (you probably already do this but if not) use the hand rail everytime to pull yourself up into the package car. Your knees get the most stress going up those steps (other than lifting!)

over9five

Staff member
"..use the hand rail everytime to pull yourself up into the package car."

Of course, this is a bad idea for those of us with bad shoulders. I use the handrail every time, but I never pull myself up with it.

helenofcalifornia

Diesel, GREAT advice about the GEL advil caps. They absorb into your body much faster for faster pain relief. And the ice pack for your knees when you get off work. I have one of those "ice man" where you fill the cooler with ice and then put the pad that is connected to the cooler on your knee for really cool, even cold relief. Yeah, the rum (or beer in my case) helps just as much as the gel caps. I always carry them with me in my truck along with all my other "stuff."

diesel96

Helen, since going into Feeders its amazing how the knees and ankles feel much better...and basically only need the Advils now for the morning after a late night of beer/rum...:bored:

area43

This is the acronym for the knees. R.I.C.E. R - is for rest, I - is for ice, C - is for compression, E - is for elavation. As we get older our tendons and ligaments get stretched and stressed with time. This makes the knee vulnerable. The knee depends on the act of compression to keep everything together and operate smoothly. Elevation is great. I do it when watching TV at night. Elevate the knees above the heart. I've found the higher the better.

UPS stresses methods. Thats all fine and dandy. What UPS wont admit to is the natural wear and tear of repetative motion and old father time. UPS ignores this. UPS will refer to "all" incurred injuries due to the failure to follow the methods. My analogy to all that. The automobile. Lets just say you do "all" the perodical maintiance on that vehicle to the Letter. Lets just say you drive that vehicle will all the care in the world. Sooner or later that car is going to break down. Why? because of worn out parts. UPS will never admit to that. Is that a wise and smart business practice? Is that cruel? If you go 30 years in a package car your body is going to have some worn out parts that need fixin or replaced. Why dosen't UPS want to admit that? Why do they want to fire employees for worn out parts? When they fire us its always for unsafe work methods. Failure to follow instructions. Perphaps in alot of cases that could be true. Just something to think about. Thank God we have a union.

VTBrown

Guys...I still play Semi-Pro full contact football and work as a driver.

3 seasons ago I severed my MCL and had a grade two tear to my ACL in my right knee.

This last past season I tore my miniscus, had some cycloping scar tissue from my ACL injury and had a partially ruptured Patella tendon to the same knee. I worked through last peak season like this. :w00t:

I had surgery this time around. I also will still play. So I've first hand experience dealing with knee braces and working.

Let me and my doctor be the first to say...the Neoprene knee braces offer next to nothing for any true knee support. Let me say "next to nothing" again. They do keep the area warm and help "remind" you about your knee and make you more aware of it. Thats about it.

The cheap Neoprene braces with the aluminum support? Not much better at all. They are not designed to "fit" your knee and the cheap aluminum bracing? You can bend it with your hand. Obviously these ones usually have a strapping system to help tighten it down. That will help but with the improper fit your not doing much to help.

The only ones that really offer true support are the fairly expensive orthopedic ones like you see most rehabbing sports players use. Many brands (all about the same) many types for different types of stability and injury/defect. I have1 for each leg that I wear when I play football now.

An orthopedic doctor can advise you....and yes if you get a prescribed one from your doctor - our insurance will cover it.

Now to wearing them.....after 8 to 10 hours a day? They can ALL absolutely destroy your skin from the sweating and rubbing. They all need to be cleaned nightly and at some point you'll be using neosporine or some other type of skin remedy to get through the day.

Winter will be the easiest....summer will absolutely destroy you. Trust me.

So in closing the best thing for you to do is EXERCISE your legs and knees at night. Strengthen your supporting muscles and be mindful of how much your putting on your knees not using the hand rail to exit and or carrying boxes as you do it.

Wear a cheap neoprene that has adjustment straps if you feel the need. One you start sweating the ones with out will not stay put. Remembering - your not really doing much to prevent anything while wearing it.